Scout A/C Condenser

I have been quoted circa £600 to change the condenser on my 2010 2.0 TDIi Scout, I can buy a new condenser on the net for about £120, is it a difficult job to change it out myself ?  

Thanks in advance for any replies

I assume your car is just out of warranty? I would call Skoda uk and explain to them. A 3 year old car should still have a working condenser not unless you damaged ie a stone but if it's leaking I would certainly have a moan about it. They can only say no.

I changed the condenser not too long ago on my octavia. Need to remove bumper, crash bar, and the shroud that fits around the rad/condenser. Easy enough to do with one person, I left the radiator connected and just supported it on blocks of wood so I did'nt have to replace the coolant.

Thanks for all the replies guys  :thumbup: 

The car although under 3 years old has exceeded the 60K for the warranty. I have contacted Skoda this morning. Parts should not really have to be replaced in under 3 years due to corrosion. 

The car although under 3 years old has exceeded the 60K for the warranty. I have contacted Skoda this morning.

Then I'd be looking for at least an 80% goodwill gesture, if not 100% if it has a full Skoda service history?

Is this your first Skoda? If not historical loyalty helps too...

Then I'd be looking for at least an 80% goodwill gesture, if not 100% if it has a full Skoda service history?

Is this your first Skoda? If not historical loyalty helps too...

No I had a Fabia Estate previously. Skoda sad they would get back to me within 48 hours. It was a Skoda approved garage who told me it was corroded.

Got the response from Skoda this morning, Pretty poor response, nothing at all. I tried to argue the case with them but all I got was what I guess is a stock answer.

"Sorry you did not get the result you were looking for"

Still think a part is not fit for purpose if it fails due to corrosion in under 3 years. Not a good reflection on Skoda !  

Are you dealing with them via email / written communication?

This sort of negotiation needs to be done over the phone. Be firm but fair. You aren't happy with their response and insist they take another look.

Are you dealing with them via email / written communication?

This sort of negotiation needs to be done over the phone. Be firm but fair. You aren't happy with their response and insist they take another look.

Both e-mail and on the phone. I was firm fair and polite but no joy. One of the reasons was that I'd bought the car from an Independent garage and not a Skoda dealer. I really think that is irrelevant though. 

Hmmm, they do like their loyalty.

I had thousands of pounds spent on my 2007 vRS out of warranty, but I didn't tell them / they didn't ask where I bought it from (it too came from an independant).

I just keep reminding them that we are a two-Skoda household and both cars had a full Skoda history.

They did ask where I had bought it from though silver. I have been exchanging phone calls / e-mails with Skoda over the last week but they are not budging. Their last correspondence stated that I should not expect such a complex part not to fail. A condenser complex really   :think:

They also keep banging on about how good their warranty is but because the car has done more than 60K it does not apply. 

My argument is that the fact the condenser has failed due to corrosion has no connection to the mileage or where I bought the car from. 

The body work is covered against corrosion I'd ask to speak with someone higher up. Complex part all the more reason it shouldn't corrode and start to leak.

Ask to speak with the complaint department and not the warranty department and when you get through immediately ask to speak to the person in charge. I would keep moaning at them.

My 11 plate Octavia Vrs had to have a new condenser fitted. The early ones were corroding up the sides due to a poor design.

See if it is corrosion , if so you may have a case for a new one from Skoda. The new ones have been modified

11 isn't that early for an Octavia though.

Mine on my 07 car lasted until this year and I would say the impacts pretty much finished it off (stones, etc)

Posted Image

Untitled by jonnyguitar, on Flickr

They did ask where I had bought it from though silver. I have been exchanging phone calls / e-mails with Skoda over the last week but they are not budging. Their last correspondence stated that I should not expect such a complex part not to fail. A condenser complex really   :think:

They also keep banging on about how good their warranty is but because the car has done more than 60K it does not apply. 

My argument is that the fact the condenser has failed due to corrosion has no connection to the mileage or where I bought the car from. 

The thing is that this is a common problem. A number of owners have reported similar problems on cars of a silimilar age to yours.

Skoda UK are aware of it.

If they think they can get away without paying for a repair they will. If you think you've reached the end of the line may be try getting firmer. Tell them you are taking legal advice as the car isn't fit for purpose. 

This was today's response, notice they even get the month wrong ! 

"Thank you for your email received on 4 October 2013 regarding your ŠKODA Octavia Scout,  I was sorry to learn that you are unhappy with the final outcome.

However, I can confirm that we have carried out a full investigation on the issue before making our decision and it will not change. I appreciate this is not the outcome you where hoping for and I apologise for the disappointment caused."

This was today's response, notice they even get the month wrong ! 

"Thank you for your email received on 4 October 2013 regarding your ŠKODA Octavia Scout,  I was sorry to learn that you are unhappy with the final outcome.

However, I can confirm that we have carried out a full investigation on the issue before making our decision and it will not change. I appreciate this is not the outcome you where hoping for and I apologise for the disappointment caused."

Typical Skoda I couldn't give a damn atitude.

Seems like it :( I think companies are short sighted with issues like this , by the time I tell the folk on here, my work colleagues , the guys in the pub, my extended family, my mates on the fishing forums I'm on .... you get the picture It will have cost them far more in lost business than replacing my condenser  

Do you think that maybe the dealers are at fault, some dealers quite honestly couldn't give a toss what happens, Warranty or not, there not really prepared to help. Having a rant at Skoda UK doesn't really help either. My local dealer, Benfield at Harrogate are really good (My opinion). I had an issue a while back with them but that's been sorted. Every time I pop in now all the sales people speak and the service department is good, nothing seems to be to much for them. I can honestly say I can recommend them. You just need to speak to the right person