Skoda Superb - Winter Tyres and Rims

That's not my reading of it. The link below gives the Association for British Insurers formal stance on the subject with a list of which insurers need to be notified, and about what, when fitting winter tyres. A few wish to be notified only if the customer "has or is fitting alloy wheels" and a couple wish to be notified only if the customer "has or is fitting alloy and/or wider wheels". However the vast majority of the insurers on the list do not need to be notified at all. The very fact that certain insurers explicitly state they do wish to be notified about alloys with the fitment of winter tyres implies that the others in the same table do not.

Michael

Link: https://www.abi.org.uk/~/media/Files/Documents/Publications/Public/Migrated/Motor/ABI%20guide%20to%20winter%20tyres%20The%20motor%20insurance%20commitment.ashx

That's my take on it too. As long as you stick to the diameter, width, offset and tyre size and rating, there should be no issue.

There seems to be no problems for fitting all weather tyres, or knobbly off road or road legal semi slicks.

As above really - and these are the wheels we've fitted - as for my Merc, for example I've came down to 17" Merc Alloys - again, specced by Merc - as there isn't an E class with Steels, i can't do steels.

(When i had my Superb, i fitted Genuine Skoda Luxon 18" Alloys and Winter tyres)

Sorry, Mr Insurance "can" (if was in a bad mood) chuck the book at you, if they aint declared and you're involved in an accident.

As for 90% brighter bulbs, then you still have Halogen's fitted - therefore, specced by Skoda. - If you have HIDS fitted (into any headlight that is not Projector, with Self-levelling (or the vehicle is self-levelling) and has washers) then you should not only inform insurance, but are also breaking the law.

Don't, justify it to me, why not ring your insurance and see what they say? - We did.

Al.

ps. Spare bulb kit not a legal requirement here in the Uk.

With regards to your merc wheels that's fair enough to let the insurers know. Its is a modification as you have chsnged wheel size. But as for having to fit VAG wheels to comply is nuts. If you have steel wheels as standard and you want a second set as winters why do they have to be VAG? As long as they are the same size what's the issue? If someone damage a wheel and it needs replacing they may not be able to afford an OEM so go to motor factors and buy a replacement. Do they then ring up the insurance company and say they've fitted one aftermarket wheel? Same with brake pads, if I were to fit halfords brake pads instead of VAG branded ones do I then tell my insurance company. They will be exactly the same as vag ones justed not stamped with their branding, same as the wheels.

At the end of the day we're fitting a safer tyre for the conditions and a wheel which is much cheaper to replace.

Ps. Spare wheel not a legal requirement either. Hence the reason we all get given tyre sealant and a compressor

Even though the list suggests Direct Line don't need to be informed, I did contact them as I always believe it best to be up front with insurance companies, and aftersome discussion with "the supervisor" I was told that they would not charge for changing from the standard 18"alloys to 16" steels as long as they were to the original manufacturers recommended dimensions and the tyres to the correct specification e.g. Load and speed rating. At no point was I asked about who actually made the wheels.

There was no charge and they waived the admin fee even though they have issued me with a new certificate acknowledging the change. I was asked to tell them when I change back to the alloys/summer tyres in the spring.

Edited for spelling

Edited by Bristolf2b

What size are the brake discs on the 3.6 v6? We have a 170yeti on order and I know it has larger discs than our current 110 yeti. I hope my 16 inch steels fit!

Not sure on the size of the discs on the 3.6 Superb, but 16” will fit on all Yeti’s

Ps. Spare wheel not a legal requirement either. Hence the reason we all get given tyre sealant and a compressor

This is getting daft 

to reiterate what i've been saying all along, the ABI Say

"The commitment does not cover fitting new wheels. Any motorist who has winter tyres fitted to new wheels should contact their motor insurer for advice."

https://www.abi.org....NG-WINTER-TYRES

Tyres - Yes - Wheels - No.

I've highlighted the important bits - So, do what you like - Just don't crash into me, or anyone else and have void insurance. 

Al. 

That advice was on a press release back in March and is nowhere to be seen on the current guidance documents themselves. Doesn't make it incorrect, but the ABI should be consistent if it is the approach to take.

Michael

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Winter tyres is always a fascinating topic!  I'm just in the process of changing my second yeti for a Superb.

Every year we drive to Austria.  In Austria you are legally required to have winter tyres between dates in October and March.  It is also a requirement to carry chains on certain roads.

My Yeti handbook says that chains cannot be used with 17" wheels only with 16" wheels fitted with either 205/55-16 or 215/60-16 tyres.  I believe that the Superb handbook says much the same.

Therefore to take my Yeti to the Austrian Alps for my annual ski holiday, I could not have been legal with the standard fit 17" wheels.  I therefore use 16" VAG steel rims with appropriate winter tyres.

It does seem to make sense to stick with the manufacturer's own equipment as it would seem to remove one variable as far as the insurer is concerned.

It does beat me though as to how they could consider that fitting winter tyres, in winter, could pose an additional risk.

John

It does beat me though as to how they could consider that fitting winter tyres, in winter, could pose an additional risk.

John

Logically it cant pose any addition risk. If it did base models would not be fitted with steel wheels. Its just a con to get a £25 "admin fee" each time. When we recently moved house, out of the 50 or so companies only our car insurance company charged a fee to do it.

• Like 1

I am now working on choosing winter tires for my Superb 4x4 (arrives on Feb20). As usuall, there is no ideal tire for all winter weather. Soft rubber tires are very good on ice but not so good on dry and wet when it is +3 and more. Hard rubber tires are very good on snow and on dry but are not so good when it is cold. Now I have hard rubber Yokohama w-drive on my Volvo - there were very good so far, but recent week when it is -20 at night and -14 during the day - on dry roads I car make wheel spin even on 3rd gear :)

Probably I will go for Good Year Ice Plus this time. I hope they will have 94-XL specification.

I am now working on choosing winter tires for my Superb 4x4 (arrives on Feb20). As usuall, there is no ideal tire for all winter weather. Soft rubber tires are very good on ice but not so good on dry and wet when it is +3 and more. Hard rubber tires are very good on snow and on dry but are not so good when it is cold. Now I have hard rubber Yokohama w-drive on my Volvo - there were very good so far, but recent week when it is -20 at night and -14 during the day - on dry roads I car make wheel spin even on 3rd gear :)

Probably I will go for Good Year Ice Plus this time. I hope they will have 94-XL specification.

Hard rubber good for snow ?

Hard rubber good for snow ?

It is my personal observation from many years using different winter tires. Usually soft rubber winter tires are those called 'high performance' - with high speed index. They are very good at high speeds when it is cold, but not so good when it is wet and also not so good on fresh snow. But they are excellent on packed snow or ice. For 4 or 5 seasons I used to have Dunlop WinterSport 3D - very good high speed soft rubber tire. But when I needed to go though deep snow - I stuck almost everywhere. Also when it was +5 - the stability is lost. 

Hard rubber tires usually are not so good on ice, but on fresh show you can drive out from more complicated situations :)

• Like 1

Just fitted a set of 205 55 16" Goodyear Ultragrip 8's mounted on Passat 16" Alloys. QUIET! Good ride, will have to await the verdict in snow.

These replaced set of Michelin on Steel Wheels, same size, ex Passat and prefer Goodyear so far.

Overall ride is much smoother and quieter than the standard 18" wheels.

Fuel consumption on winter tyres appears better than on 18" but guess that's down to less drag from narrower profile?

Just fitted a set of 205 55 16" Goodyear Ultragrip 8's mounted on Passat 16" Alloys. QUIET! Good ride, will have to await the verdict in snow.

These replaced set of Michelin on Steel Wheels, same size, ex Passat and prefer Goodyear so far.

Overall ride is much smoother and quieter than the standard 18" wheels.

Fuel consumption on winter tyres appears better than on 18" but guess that's down to less drag from narrower profile?

I have just taken my ex-Passat 16" steel wheels with Avon Ice Touring tyres off the Yeti before it leaves me and will have these in waiting to go on the new Superb if needed.

John

• 3 weeks later...

I have just taken my ex-Passat 16" steel wheels with Avon Ice Touring tyres off the Yeti before it leaves me and will have these in waiting to go on the new Superb if needed.

John

We probably won't have significant snow now (touching wood) this winter.  However, as I'm new to the Superb, a thought has occured.

I seem to think that 16 inch steel wheels for winter tyres on a Superb have an offset of 45 whereas the ex-Passat wheels I have been uing have an offset of 42.

Does anyone know if I'm right on the offset figure and can I still use the 42 offset wheels on my Superb?

Thanks

John

• 4 months later...

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread, but given there is a lot of info in here it seemed worth it rather than start a new one...

My new Superb L&K comes in July (fingers crossed) so its a little early to be think winter tyres even in the UK, but I plan to keep this a few years and this time I want to use winter tyres tyres. I was advised by the local tyre guy that I've used for may years, that in the Uk its best to buy winter tyres in the summer as supplies are relatively limited and prices always rocket once the weather gets cold and demand increases. Given I'm splashing out for the new car it will probably also feel less painful to get the wheels and tyres sorted at the same time and not have to find £5-600 in winter.

So, does everyone size down from the standard 18's and put on 16" steel wheels with appropriate tyres? My current E-Class is a total PITA as there were just no wheel options and the winter tyres for the AMG alloys were eye wateringly pricey, so i never made the change. I see Skoda 16" steel wheels at £220 a set so they seem like a good option if they'll fit in place of the 18's with no issues? 

Appreciate any advice on what people have successfully used.

Edit: I noticed these and while the tyre choice isnt listed it seems like it might be a reasonable price option?
http://www.skodaparts.com/product/new-octavia-a5---new-superb-16-inch-winter-tyres-and-steel-wheels-38275

Edited by Bigpikle

16's will clear the brakes on all but the V6.

As for steels or alloys that is down to personal taste, for me I could not live with steel wheels on the car for 4+ months of the year, so I went with OE Audi alloys (BBS's) it's not even as if the steels are a cheap option.

Others think 16's are too much a compromise with looks so stick with 18's (but they cost more)

• Like 1

Thanks guys - my problem is lack of tech knowledge about which other VAG wheels will fit etc. 

I've emailed my supplying dealer to see if I can get a deal on a set of wheels when I buy the car. They've been very sharp on prices so far so hopefully I might be able to get a reasonable deal. I know exactly what you mean about alloy vs steel wheels and as I'm definitely in the 'car tart' camp I'd much rather have some alloys if possible at a reasonable cost.

You need a wheel with a PCD of 5x112. So mkII Octavia, mkV golf or newer, Audi A3, A4, A6, VW Passat. Quite a choice really.

Your current wheels will have all the size information on the back of them. You need to check the offset (ET) to make sure it is similar.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The MKII Superb has ET47 (on a 7 ½ rim)

Stick to around ET45 (a very common VAG size) and you will be fine.

The MKII uses over ET50, so whilst they will fit they will sit inside the arch even further.