Dealer screw up

First born son option....  Or failing that, I would say £600-odd is fair compensation - in essence, you shouldn't pay for the seats as they're not fit for the purpose for which they were sold (OK, stretching the Office of Fair Trading wording slightly).  That, or they take steps to amend the fault.

As its not a chargeable option and just human error, I would say getting winter tyres is going to be difficult. A gesture of goodwill as to a tank of fuel or something is more viable and fair imo. I understand its not what was asked for though.

Sorry to hear they've messed up...nothing as bad as waiting all that time to find its not really what you had ordered!

I have ordered red stitch also but wasn't noted on my order form, so when I questioned it the dealer advised that  'these are standard options I can’t include in the order form' 

So goodness knows what will arrive...but I do have it in writing for leverage if needs be!

Edited by APoll

If you made a minor screw up in your line of work, which resulted in an error proportionate to the one you are experiencing. What would you think if the customer thought it appropriate to ask for ITRO £600 compensation?

I'd be more interested in ensuring I have a good relationship with my dealer, there's nothing like having a good dealer backing you up.

• Like 1

I know the Winter tyres would be very cheeky of me as it is a no cost option but surely it's worth a go. You don't ask, you don't get and all that.

I definitely won't reject the car but will push for something. 

When you negotiate with them, don't think of it as a no cost option, think of (and make them aware of) what it would cost them to replace the seats ;)

Or am I going to fare better pushing for some kind of goodwill, eg extended warranty?

If you made a minor screw up in your line of work, which resulted in an error proportionate to the one you are experiencing. What would you think if the customer thought it appropriate to ask for ITRO £600 compensation?

I'd be more interested in ensuring I have a good relationship with my dealer, there's nothing like having a good dealer backing you up.

I'm with Dodgy on this one. If the order specifies red stitching, it appears the error was made at the factory, not by the dealer. Goodwill is a two-way street. By all means, screw the dealer to the floor and get everything you can out of him, but you can hardly expect to have much support from him when/if something really goes wrong with the car.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey. By all means, express your disappointment to the dealer and see what reaction you get. But, to me at any rate, you seem to be wanting something for nothing. The choice of stitching is a no-cost option, and you can either accept it or walk away. This might be the option the dealer gives you, and you might also lose his 'goodwill'.

• Like 1

I don't mean to sound demeaning but if that was me and it turned up with wrong coloured stitching on the seats I would have said "ho hum" and taken the car, its a very small oversight to me but then its not my car.

Which is exactly what I'm going to do now I've learnt mine has the wrong stitching.

If the car had was painted the wrong colour it would be a totally different story!

Lewjo (Joseph)

If I really didnt like the stitching colour, I'd probably be tempted to see if they have the correct stitching on their demo car, if they would be willing to swap them over. I would then get a colour I didnt hate (I went for silver because I hated the red - red just isnt a colour for me). If mine had come with red stitching I wouldnt be happy but would be satisfied if they swapped the seats over. - my arm-rest was damaged on the back seats (the 'leather' had been pierced in several places) they just swapped it over with the demo car armrest so I could drive away that day. Everyone happy.

All those talking of swapping the bum rests from a different car seem to be forgetting the stitching is also on the steering wheel, gearstick and possibly somewhere else that I will spot once i finally get my motor.

I'd much rather have a matching set than a mix'n'match interior. 

I ordered red stitching but if I was you I'd learn to love it, at least you won't have to put up with the eye combusting inserts in the seat back..

• Like 1

I understand there is a balance to be struck here. I would be pretty annoyed if the car I had ordered turned up incorrectly built. Mine did, but thankfully it was sorted in a couple of weeks.

As far as I can remember, the dealer threw in a rubber boot mat. But, my error was rectified. If the OP really doesn't like the grey stitching, he might feel he needs more than a £60 freebee to make up for it.

Only he will know

As above, point it out, see the dealer's reaction, and take it from there!

Good luck! Hope you can find a solution & enjoy your new car when you get it!

I would have thought a chat with both dealer & SUK CS, might yield a change of seats & steering wheel, after all they're all removable & replaceable. so it shouldn't be outside the scope to order them & swap them over.

And you're then dealing with a car that's had some fairly major components removed and refitted which could cause problems in it's own right.

Seriously, just point out the mistake to the dealer and see what they say. If they are apologetic and make a small gesture by way of compensation then just leave it at that.

It really is the most minor of problems....

• Like 1

Only the OP can decide how 'minor' the problem is.

A new car is a lot of money. Some people want everything to be spot on.

Sorry but i don't believe all of you that say let it go or aim for a tank of fuel, or think of your dealer relationship, the OP has spent over 24k on a car he can and should have the car supplied as he specified it not as the dealer / SUK decide to send it to him.

Where does this end? When the dealer says I know you ordered a White car but hey we were sent a Green car, if it is on your order form it's part of the contract between you the dealer & SUK.

Now as mentioned the down side being if you don't take the car you lose the heated screen , but i would certainly push for more than a mat & a tank of fuel, Fact the dealer probably cares very little of you, your perceived relationship pretty much ends after the car is delivered fault free, if you choose to use that dealer to service your car that's great but lets face it you are pretty much just a profit margin to the dealer and any perceived relationship is in the dealers interest to keep you happy so maybe you buy off him again & get your pride and joy serviced with him. 

Where does this end? When the dealer says I know you ordered a White car but hey we were sent a Green car, 

But that's the whole point, people on this thread have already said that the completely wrong colour car would be unacceptable. But that isn't what has happened.

But that's the whole point, people on this thread have already said that the completely wrong colour car would be unacceptable. But that isn't what has happened.

Your point being then that it's ok for the wrong interior but you draw the line at the wrong colour car?.

Sorry but i don't believe all of you that say let it go or aim for a tank of fuel, or think of your dealer relationship, the OP has spent over 24k on a car he can and should have the car supplied as he specified it not as the dealer / SUK decide to send it to him.

Where does this end? When the dealer says I know you ordered a White car but hey we were sent a Green car, if it is on your order form it's part of the contract between you the dealer & SUK.

Now as mentioned the down side being if you don't take the car you lose the heated screen , but i would certainly push for more than a mat & a tank of fuel, Fact the dealer probably cares very little of you, your perceived relationship pretty much ends after the car is delivered fault free, if you choose to use that dealer to service your car that's great but lets face it you are pretty much just a profit margin to the dealer and any perceived relationship is in the dealers interest to keep you happy so maybe you buy off him again & get your pride and joy serviced with him. 

I might be shot down here, but I believe the contract is only with the dealer, not the dealer and SUK. If the dealer has kept his part of the bargain and sent in the correct order, he has fulfilled his obligation. If SUK supply a vehicle which doesn't conform to the order, the purchaser may reject the vehicle. There is, as far as I know, no legislation which can force the dealer to give any compensation, under these circumstances. The OP should, properly, take this up with SUK, with, hopefully, the support of the dealer (always assuming the dealer hasn't already been p*ssed off by unreasonable demands).

As has been said, rejecting the car then reordering with fewer 'goodies', is rather cutting off one's nose etc. This is not the same as the car being painted the wrong colour, or a paid-for extra being missing. Either the colour of the stitching is acceptable, or it's not. If the dealer offers no sweetener, that is the decision the OP has to make.

As has been said a myriad of times now, I'm not going to reject the car over something this small. I know it's not as if the car's a different colour. I'm also not expecting anything huge in compensation.

I just thought it might be worth trying to be a bit cheeky and ask for some winters but if not I'd laugh and accept a boot mat or something. It's just a bit galling as it's not what I ordered and I've waited ages.

Just show the dealer the order form & point out the stitching & see what reaction you get. Depending on what they say might give you an idea what you should do next.

Personally I am sure I would soon get over it but if they make a gesture of goodwill all the better.

Only you can decide, but going down the rejection route or even seat changing does seem a bit OTT to me.

I agree with the first two sentences.

However, the guy's ordered a car with red stitching and has got one with grey stitching.

I'd reject because where do you draw the line?  "Oops, we know you ordered black Sir but here's your car in white"?

If Skoda aren't capable of supplying orders as placed then maybe they need to get off of the pot and let the grown-up car manufacturers sell their wares to the public.

If the car had turned up as specced and the OP said to the dealer "hey, can I swap this red stitching for grey" do you think the dealer would swap it for free?

There's your answer.  Right there.

Colleague ordered a different brand of car. It came with brown leather not black - he agreed with dealer to use car until replacement interior arrived (seats / steering wheel / door cards). When parts available, dealer replaced all parts providing a courtesy car. 

One word of warning.............. If you go this route, make sure dealer checks and updates the cars record. Colleague needed a replacement steering wheel due to warranty claim. Part ordered and one with brown stitching arrived !!

• Like 1