De-misting main screen.

Did a quick search could not see anything..

I have a 2012 FL vRS TDI.

On misted up front screen mornings,I set the blower to max and it demists the passenger side in a few minutes but takes an age(at least 3/4mins longer) to do drivers side, is this normal?

Or does it sound like the blower vent is not working or blocked?

Any help appreciated.

Edited by Defenderben

Right-hand drive cars are always a compromise.

Just look at handbrake locations and off-set peddles.

No doubt the same applies to the heating and ventilation ducting.

Try closing the central and passenger side vents, see if this forces more air up onto the screen?

It was last year, or maybe the winter before, that I posted the pics taken of my Mk2 screen and my '96 Disco as the heater melted the ice one morning.

I often used to see an Octavia coming in the opposite direction with frantic wiping of the screen on the driver's side.

It's a feature.

It'll only get worse I'm afraid, the MkII has a bit of a reputation...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/292098-how-long-until-the-excess-condensation-threads/

I accept cars mist up, even my £35k land rover did but demisting was pretty uniform.

My main concern was the fact the drivers side seemed to take an age, yet the passenger side was clearing within a few minutes of starting.

Seems the blower is LHD biased :)

Thanks

I've had an old 1.9 TDI and now on my 2nd 1.4 TSI, all from new, all estates and the three cars have all done this.

Together with the amount of time the blowers take to start blowing hot its my main gripe with the Octavia - heater and blowers based on a smaller model e.g. VW golf?.

You would think by now that I'd just leave the house 5 minutes earlier...

Something you could try to reduce the forming of mist:

In our Fabia we used to have the ventilation setting in the way that the air would only go to the front screen and to the feet of driver and passenger. That setting seemed the leave the path through the vent-system open from the footwells up to the front screen even when the car was parked. That apparently lead to evaporated water or just air with humidity would find its way upwards from the footwells to the (by then cold) front screen and condensate there forming mist.

Setting the ventilation to "auto" completely solved the problem. Not sure for the Octavia. On that I did not have that problem yet.

Might be worth a try 

Good luck

[sigh] I did remember the joys of the heated front screen when I had a loan s-type the other week.

Best option for a car ever. Sad to think I had it on a Focus in 2001 but it's still seen as a super extra even though Ford's patent has lapsed.

Is it an option on the Octy3 now, the proper heated front screen. Have seen it on the Superb and Yeti.

I tend to leave the mode on the 'floor' setting, just before I get out in the autumn and winter. Think because the vent isn't then open for the windscreen, it prevents a bit of build up overnight.

Best option for a car ever. Sad to think I had it on a Focus in 2001 but it's still seen as a super extra even though Ford's patent has lapsed.

I didn't realise Ford's monopoly on heated screens was now over, hurrah! An excellent feature as you say.

Not sure if the OP's car has any sort of air conditioning but if it does the earlier suggestion of using this is a good one. The windscreen clear button on a Climatronic blows cold and crucially dry air at the windscreen to clear it. If there is a lot of condensation I would also suggest using a cloth to help clear the windscreen.

Is clearing one side much faster than the other definitely not a fault though? I've never had this on my car (with Climatronic if this makes a difference).

Edited by Ultrasonic

I've always found that the passenger side cleared quicker than the driver side and my car is on auto all the time, it only gets changed when I switch it onto demist. The condensation on the front and rear screens can be quite a lot at times.

• Like 1

Could the passenger side clearing first be due to the driver sat behind the wheel or does this happen when passengers are in place too?

I didn't realise Ford's monopoly on heated screens was now over, hurrah! An excellent feature as you say.

Not sure if the OP's car has any sort of air conditioning but if it does the earlier suggestion of using this is a good one. The windscreen clear button on a Climatronic blows cold and crucially dry air at the windscreen to clear it. If there is a lot of condensation I would also suggest using a cloth to help clear the windscreen.

Is clearing one side much faster than the other definitely not a fault though? I've never had this on my car (with Climatronic if this makes a difference).

Hi

This is everyday type condensation/misting up (which is no big deal to me).

Yes I have full climatronic and when I select the window setting or any other which involves air on the screen there is a massive difference.

The passenger side clears a good few minutes before the drivers side.

My post is not about the amount of condensation or which settings or recirculation etc it is the "Uneven" clearing of the screen, is it normal?

If everyone's screens clear evenly then I have a problem :(