vRS TDi DSG not engaging back in gear in Eco mode after coasting!

Yeah, picked it up on Thursday evening. Apart from this particular issue, everything is great! Love the electric door lift!

:) Glad its finally got here. Get a new thread up with pics man! Ill send you a PM about the ECO thing as I got fobbed off when I asked about it.

sorry for the OT op

The reverse of normal operation happens. The wheels turn from the forward motion of the car, which in turn turns (get it? :) ) the gears inside the gearbox, then the flywheel and so on until turning the crankshaft which keeps the pistons in motion. So with modern fuel injected engines, no fuel is needed when that happens. Hopefully that clears it up.

Of course, you'll have to be in gear for that to work. If you're in neutral, fuel will be injected to keep the engine on idle.

The manual states that the DSG will re-engage a gear after depressing the braking pedal, not the accelerator. I know it's odd and counterintuitive, but it did work as intended.

I UNDERSTAND THE PROCESS  I JUST  DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT ALL THIS HAS TO DO WITH, WHAT THE TOPIC IS ABOUT. I could not careless about arguments regarding  "Whether /weather " the engine uses fuel coasting or not, the engine will always use a negligible amount of fuel FACT!!!!!!!!! the idea of coasting with DSG   is regenerative braking which combined with other factors dissipates the need to use added fuel hence the reason they say it doesn't as it uses what fuel was already in the system which in theory is again negligible. but again any way, so the jist is some are fine some are not :) I have no idea what im talking about medication has taken control.

Edited by henderson
  • Like 1

Eco mode is good in town, when you cannot use loads of power.

Back on track, which of the two DSG boxes are having the problem? 

My understanding is the VRS petrol and diesel have the 6 speed as do the 2.0 TDI 150 and the 1.8TSI. 

The 1.6TDI, 1.2TSI and 1.4TSI get the 7 speed dry unit.

I have the 7 speed DSG and don't seem to have the problem.  Then again I do a lot of town driving and am either coasting down a hill where I need to brake at the end or I am slowing down for  junctions / lights and will use the brake.  Another thing I tend to do is if I am coming up to a roundabout I shift to sports mode so I get better acceleration out.

Edit posted just in case peps like me post that do not have a VRS.

Edited by Dempsek

think its just the 6 speed wet box

That is what I was thinking, but there could be a difference between the VRS and non VRS cars with the same box.

If it only effected the VRS and not the other cars with the same 6 speed box it could suggest it's a software issue.

• Like 1

I UNDERSTAND THE PROCESS I JUST DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT ALL THIS HAS TO DO WITH, WHAT THE TOPIC IS ABOUT. I could not careless about arguments regarding "Whether /weather " the engine uses fuel coasting or not, the engine will always use a negligible amount of fuel FACT!!!!!!!!! the idea of coasting with DSG is regenerative braking which combined with other factors dissipates the need to use added fuel hence the reason they say it doesn't as it uses what fuel was already in the system which in theory is again negligible. but again any way, so the jist is some are fine some are not :) I have no idea what im talking about medication has taken control.

I think you may be mistaken and the FACT is in fact not a ...er...fact. Incidentally, the number of exclamation marks added will not change that fact either.

As accurately described by someone earlier, the car pushing the engine will not require any fuel to be injected, therefore it doesn't use any...not even a negligible amount...during that time.

Happy to add a significant amount of exclamation marks if you feel that it would support my argument. I may even throw in some capital letters.

• Like 2

I think you may be mistaken and the FACT is in fact not a ...er...fact. Incidentally, the number of exclamation marks added will not change that fact either.

As accurately described by someone earlier, the car pushing the engine will not require any fuel to be injected, therefore it doesn't use any...not even a negligible amount...during that time.

Happy to add a significant amount of exclamation marks if you feel that it would support my argument. I may even throw in some capital letters.

Go and get on someone else high Horse, the point I was making was that the topic was about DSG FAULTS and not whether a car uses fuel or not, oh and since you are so concerned about facts !!! I did state I was on medication and that I didn't know what I was talking about which again brings me back to an earlier point it you even bothered to read about reading mumbo jumbo that's not relevant to the topic of the OP !!!!!!!!! Edited by damo :-)
aggressive behaviour and insult removed. Please refrain in future

Go and get on someone else high Horse, the point I was making was that the topic was about DSG FAULTS and not whether a car uses fuel or not, oh and since you are so concerned about facts !!! I did state I was on medication and that I didn't know what I was talking about which again brings me back to an earlier point it you even bothered to read about reading mumbo jumbo that's not relevant to the topic of the OP !!!!!!!!!

Oh and to make a Valid point How does the car push the engine?

that's funny I thought you needed fuel

since fuel creates the energy to make the car go just like the brakes create kinetic energy to power certain parts of the electrical system to save on what fuel that would normally be used and wasted, this place seems to be full of trolls wanting to cause havoc !

and to think most people on here just want to learn knowledge.

Maybe my grammar isn't the greatest but the topic is about DSG faults and not actual fuel consumption or not.

Oh and last but not least when I was twelve I spent my life in hospital confined to a bed 24/7 until I was 14 then I spent 2 years learning to walk and eventually run.

Edited by henderson

since fuel creates the energy to make the car go just like the brakes create kinetic energy to power certain parts of the electrical system to save on what fuel that would normally be used and wasted, this place seems to be full of trolls wanting to cause havoc !

and to think most people on here just want to learn knowledge.

Maybe my grammar isn't the greatest but the topic is about DSG faults and not actual fuel consumption or not.

Oh and last but not least when I was twelve I spent my life in hospital confined to a bed 24/7 until I was 14 then I spent 2 years learning to walk and eventually run.

Momentum, simple, basic physics taught to 12 year olds.

hmm

Trolls like yourself? ;-)

im not making trouble ! I have read enough of it on here and sick of it, comments you and others make affect everyone in different ways. I like most on here are seeking advice, to which the topic being DSG faults and that is really it.

I couldn't see it mentioned here, and I'm back on topic.

But does the Eco  mode work ok if you were to use it in conjunction with cruise or active cruise control?

By that i mean, going down a hill, the engine would behave like a human and cut throttle, when this happens the clutch is 'depressed' then when the hill stops, it needs to re-engage, does it work?

Guys, you have been warned once already and as section leader I am telling you for the final time.

Stop the insults and derogatory comments, there appears to be a trend of members here that I have warned before. I don't want to lock threads or even remove posts (I think someone already commented that removed posts make odd reading on another thread I had to edit).

If it continues warnings will be issued, it might be worth you familiarising yourself with the rules of the forum.

• Like 2

@Henderson, you just need to relax. If you know you're on medication, then just refrain from posting stuff you know you might be sorry for afterwards. :)

Regarding the DSG issue, from my point of view, I think in some cases the users just don't realise that the way the coasting function works isn't the most intuitive. And as such they consider it a fault. I'm not saying that everyone is mistaken as someone has already said they've taken theirs to the dealer and it's been acknowledged as a fault. I'm quite interested in the outcome of that, as I have a DSG myself.

• Like 1

Guys, was thinking about this driving home today as I used Eco mode as I had 10 miles to go and my range was reading zero. My behaved faultlessly reengaging gears when I accelerated again, but I did notice something odd. After coasting towards a roundabout on a dual carriageway my speed reduced from 55ish to 25ish approaching the roundabout. When I touched the accelerator it reengaged 6th, which was the gear it was in when starting to coast, then dropped down to 4th then 3rd. This made me think about it, and isn't it good driving practice to brake very lightly when slowing down so that drivers following you get a visual indication and don't run in to the back of you? So, approaching the next roundabout, I did the sane thing, but very lightly touched the brakes before accelerating, and the box reengaged in 4th then dropped to 3rd. So, maybe the answer is to brake just enough to light the brake lights but not actually engage the brakes IF the speed you are doing when you want the box to reengage would mean that you would be in a different gear than when you started coasting?

I managed the 10 miles on zero range and could still only get 46l in the tank, but that's a comment fir a different thread!

Sent from my phone so please excuse brevity and spelling