CAVE & CTHE 1.4TSI, Just reply please if you have had an engine replaced.

@vwfan111

Do you want to know the difference from CAVE to CTHE in 2012, & then the Software Updates since then the Oil Spray Jets, 

Or do you want to know what the Parts used were when there were Rebuilds of CAVE engines before they started fitting Short Units then Base Engines?

From 2009-2014 there were several different Engine Management / Software changes and at least 4 different ECU's used.

OEM Spark Plug types were changed, the plug gaps were changed, as was the Oil Filter type, water pump and there were changes with Injectors but this was because of faulty ones.

Up the page is a Pinned thread with links to Lucifers Ultimate Guide.

Also in the forum there is a thread with some of the changed part numbers for Pistons, Rings, Scrapers, valves etc.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/279292-cthecave-enginewhats-the-difference

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/455901-no-record-of-new-engine-fitted-to-vrs-tsi-under-warranty

6461B46A-9F04-4277-862D-BDF296CCFA01.jpeg.ee50bc0df2c1ded5f37661c3e8f14b56.jpeg.fe4974b1d5d66d88d6e2b7faf2e832ce.jpeg

749502ED-1BD0-4E71-8F4C-95A4AB6A9925.jpeg.85c1760f7d087693ee6c052827c0f503.jpeg

s-l1000.jpg.e985d49cf1234a68bdd5f385e8d3f732.jpg

Edited by Skoffski
  • Thanks 1

Hi Skoffski, what I'd like to know now is specifically what parts were changed by VW/Skoda when they "replaced an engine under warranty" because of the known problems with the block (pistons and cylinders). Did they only replace the engine block, leaving the rest of the original engine, or did they also replace injectors, pumps, turbo and (most importantly) the ECU ?

I am interested in the case of old engines (2009-2010) which failed post-2012 when all the upgrades had been developed, so all the new parts, if replaced, should have been of the upgraded type (?), including the ECU as you have said. Thanks again for the info.

Edited by vwfan111

http://onlyrevo.com/support/sales/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

In the UK in 2011 they rebuilt the block as in new pistons and rings / scrapers, by late 2011 they were supplying short units. 

Same head and the rest fitted, new spark plugs (usually) , oil & Oil filter.

Then Base Engines were supplied, Head fitted, new plugs, sometimes new belts for water pump / supercharger. 

*Some cars got a new Cat fitted as they were ruined by an oil user.*

Some members here and owners had to fight to get that, but with a Master Techs support often they would.*

then we had CTHE engines late 2012 and some failed early, see pinned thread at top of the page.

Some CTHE that were oil users even had the Breather Mod done which should have already been on, then some got the New Oil Spray Jets fitted and a software update.

Some CAVE engines replaced were exactly as the failed engines and some even failed again.

There were different things happening with 'New engines' off the line and Refurbished engines that look as new from the VW factory.

There were replacement engines fitted to CAVE and to CTHE that would not run on the ECU on the car and new ones were sent out from the factory.

So basically it is all balls, buffets and banquettes but mostly balls.    You need to be a detective to work things out because VW / Skoda / SEAT / Audi will not tell you.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/353149-fabia-mk2-vrs-14tsi-replacement-engines-replaced-how-many

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So what exactly did they replace from 2013 onward ? Just the block or also injectors etc. ? Did they leave the same ECU (from original CAVE) or put a new ECU (for upgrade to CTHE) ? Did they communicate what was replaced and (if applicable) new engine code, or did they simply say "it's a new engine" ?

Edited by vwfan111

I bumped the thread today, 'difference between CAVE and CTHE.'

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/279292-cthecave-enginewhats-the-difference

'They'  said nearly nothing. Skoda / VW.

But SEAT / VW big upped the 2013 Seat Ibiza that was getting the engine already in the Mk2 vRS CTHE.

Seat also reduced the C02 g/km figure for the Revised Ibiza to the same as the Polo GTI & Audi A1 185ps while Skoda had left the Ibiza at the VED higher as the Ibiza had been from 2009-2011/12

I ordered a new 2013 Ibiza Cupra with the Brake Upgrade (then cancelled it) and it was delayed because of the Software Issues they discovered with the first CTHE Fabia that were already showing as oil users....

Seat Ibiza Cupra_ first drive review review _ Autocar.mhtml

Edited by Skoffski
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info. What I was hoping is that older engines, which were then replaced in 2013 or later, were practically upgraded to CTHE. But that would also require new injectors, coils, pumps and the newest ECU.

Edited by vwfan111

There are good cars and engines that are CAVE or CTHE.  You just have to find them.

Ones that BRISKODA members are selling are usually honest cars.

The remapped green one in the For Sales is a cracker, i knew the owner before the one selling it now.

It is a car i would buy if i was wanting a vRS hatch.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/459242-skoda-fabia-vrs-2011

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 1

Hi All 

I'm new here and wanted to share my unfortunate experiences living with a 2013 Fabia vrs that has now cont me an unexpected and painful £22000. 

I bought my vrs from new in 2013, I originally had the Mk 1 vrs that was a fantastic little car and decided to go for the new petrol model, well a few months after buying the car it was using a lot of oil, I went to the showroom and was then told it used 1 ltr of oil every 1000 km, they didn't tell me this when I bought the car so something I had to live with. I did find that if i drove like an old lady I used a lot less oil , pointless having a vrs if you cant use it every now and then.

At 25000 miles the drivers seat fell apart all the stitching come away and when you look there wasn't enough material where it was stitched. I went back to Skoda who then got onto customer services and I was told it was wear and tear but offered me a discounted repair at £275. At the same time I took my car in a Monty Carlo has the exact same problem but they would budge and said was wear and tear

At 52000 miles it needed a new water pump that cost me over £600 

At 54000 miles the electric windows started to play up and didn't want to close 

Now this was the big one at 72000 miles driving to work the engine lost most of its power and felt lumpy. I got to work and had a dealership near me. I got it into them and they completed an investigation, I was told cylinder 2 had lost all pressure and the engine was still pumping fuel into that cylinder, the fuel was leaking out and if driven could explode / catch fire or force a piston through the engine. I was told they couldn't repair the cylinder and it needed a new engine at a cost of £7183 , this was the total price including fitting and VAT. The car was only worth £6000 on a good day. I  had to sell the car for scrap and got £300  I also had to rush out and buy another car at £16000, I had to buy something half decent as I travel 12000 miles a year . . . . . . I will never buy skoda again

I think its too much power going through a small engine and with two huge heat sources the turbo and supercharger they are asking to much from the engine. I've now bought a 2 ltr diesel to plod about in. But what I really found frustrating,  I was putting top grade oil in that car as well as BP ultimate fuel never went for the cheap stuff, I didn't push the car that hard as I wanted it to last as long as possible and I've now lost all the over payments I made on my mortgage  9 years worth to get another car, if you have a VRS Mk 2 think about what you want to do and don't lose out like I did 

• Thanks 2

Welcome to the forum.  Thanks for sharing that.

The first lie you were told was the 1 litre in 1,000 km.     All VW Group says for all engines is may  use as much as 0.5 litre in 1,000 km.  (621 miles, so 1 litre in 1,242 miles.)

Then under certain conditions, which is not driving UK roads at UK NSL's in even the hottest of a Summer, especially since the Mk2 Fabia vRS can not tow.

They know that 0.3 litres in 1,000 km is a 'fail' and have replaced 1.4TSI /TFSI 132-136kw Twincharger engines that consumed that much oil.

That lie about oil use from some clueless Dealership or HQ Employee has often been just the start to a sorry tale.

The next thing is driving 1.4TSI Twincharger like driving Miss Daisy is a big issue as they need up to heat regularly and given a good blast and clean the oil / carbon off the plugs before parking up.  Then no Long Life oil or even 97 ron from BP, ESSO, Sainsbury but 99 octane as no 98 ron is sold in the UK.  Some 97 ron Min can be 98 ron.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/owners/Fuel

Bottom 'Oil Consumption test report', is one done by a muppet that thinks Engine Oil weighs the same as water. 

Or 1 litre of Oil is the weight it might be when still in a 1 litre plastic bottle.

w960_4095-227.png.b23b02239ceecffab9f7f4e945e494ff.png

455a4eee-ff43-4186-9c92-b94363e633a0_zps11333bb7 (2).jpg

Edited by Skoffski

Hello there

Sadly, my Fabia 1.4 tsi engine is in need of replacement after 90k + miles.

I have read the forums with great interest, and many have had THEIR engines replaced too.

Mine is a CTHE 2013.

Never before have I had an engine replaced, so I'm shocked as I bought the car from new and is only just over 5 years old!

I'm no expert but a lack of compression in cylinders 1 and 2 appear to be the problem. Figures of 8.3, 11.2, 13 + and 13+ we're mentioned for 1 to 4. They aren't supposed to vary by much apparently. I have used the recommended petrol and oil for the car.  It's been a brilliant little car to be honest,  serviced regularly as recommended per warranty. But, this ( my second  vrs from new ) has used a lot of oil and always having to top it up. My first vrs,  on the other hand ( cave  engine ) used little to no oil at all. Strange really because the caves were supposedly flawed!!

• Thanks 1