Rang SUK...

And before id even got as far as giving an order number the lass launched into a high and mighty speech about how I shouldn't have been calling SUK for a build week update. The lass was quite rude I thought.

Anyone else had any similar experiences?

I'd only phone them for technical stuff. (although I always email)

Build date info should come through your dealer.

Unless you are using the wrong dealer, which suggests you should have ordered elsewhere.

I'd only phone them for technical stuff. (although I always email)

Build date info should come through your dealer.

Unless you are using the wrong dealer, which suggests you should have ordered elsewhere.

Trouble is that's the kind of problem that you only discover once you've ordered and found that they have lost interest in keeping you happy.

For most of us, buying a new car only happens every three or four years, not every three or four months ;)

I think it's fair to say that SUK have experienced quite a blip in order enquiries, no doubt partly as a result of threads on this very site. Hardly a day goes by without someone mentioning calling SUK, way more than I remember on the Octava II forum anyway when the FL was released.

I reckon they've had enough of us ;)

For most of us, buying a new car only happens every three or four years, not every three or four months ;)

Akhm you mean every 10-12 years right? Like me :hi:  

You lose too much money buying a new one every three to four years IMHO.

I totally agree. That doesn't stop a lot of us doing it though.

My first Octavia I had for 3 years and 83000 miles, the second was 3 years and 79000 miles. The Bravo I'll have had for 5 years and 72000 miles when I change it, and I hope to keep the next Octavia for at least 6 or 7 years now that I don't do as many miles.

I guess I can consider myself quite lucky spending only 15 minutes for my daily commute (home-work-home) since work is only 4 miles away  :thumbup:

For that reason alone my annual mileage is around 10k miles at the most. 

I guess I can consider myself quite lucky spending only 15 minutes for my daily commute (home-work-home) since work is only 4 miles away  :thumbup:

For that reason alone my annual mileage is around 10k miles at the most. 

I used to travel to our customer sites, so was doing between 25 and 30000 miles a year, but I did get a company car allowance and was paid extra for each mile.

The cars cost quite a bit to run, but what I got from work covered all the costs.

Yes but not if you buy one through drivethedeal or autoebid and sell after one year.

My wife changes her car every twelve months - the locals must think we're loaded but it's very simple.......for example, my wife's last car was a 12 plate Fiesta Zetec diesel (list price £15k, she got it for £12.2k).

After twelve months, she sold it (5,000 miles, two years manufacturers warranty remaining) for £12.1k - i.e, she lost £100.

If she'd bought via a dealer at list price then, yes, she'd have lost £3k and chopping and changing every year would be a mug's game.

She currently has a 13 plate Fiesta and in March she'll have a 14 plate Fiesta.

Sounds a good deal to me but what is the reason not everyone is doing it that way then? Only asking cause we don't have anything like that here at least not that I know off. Are these new or used cars, can you decide on options as well or not?

• Like 1

No.  All my life I have always bought a brand new car every 32 years.  Still got all (both) of them.  Not sure what I'll choose for my 96th birthday.

• Like 2

Sounds a good deal to me but what is the reason not everyone is doing it that way then? Only asking cause we don't have anything like that here at least not that I know off. Are these new or used cars, can you decide on options as well or not?

Because the majority of people don't want to/cant be bothered/are embarrassed to haggle hard, and they just pay RRP or accept a small discount.

You get all the manufacturer options (discounted, of course) and, yes, the cars are new.

Some of them are driven delivery to your door (which might put you off) but my wife's last three have arrived on a single-vehicle low-loader......in fact, the car she has now had 0.4 miles on the clock which, perversely, concerned me a little because I didn't think it could possibly have been checked over fully for any faults!

Yes but not if you buy one through drivethedeal or autoebid and sell after one year.

My wife changes her car every twelve months - the locals must think we're loaded but it's very simple.......for example, my wife's last car was a 12 plate Fiesta Zetec diesel (list price £15k, she got it for £12.2k).

After twelve months, she sold it (5,000 miles, two years manufacturers warranty remaining) for £12.1k - i.e, she lost £100.

If she'd bought via a dealer at list price then, yes, she'd have lost £3k and chopping and changing every year would be a mug's game.

She currently has a 13 plate Fiesta and in March she'll have a 14 plate Fiesta.

Sounds good.  But who does she sell her cars to, and how, in order to get good prices if she's not trrading them in?

Sounds good.  But who does she sell her cars to, and how, in order to get good prices if she's not trrading them in?

She doesn't trade them in, she sells them via Gumtree, AutoTrader and other sites.

Christ, she toyed with a trade-in a couple of years ago and was offered £3k less than she eventually got by selling privately!

I guess someone has to help fund the shiny suited, gelled-hair salesman who wander around car showrooms.

One of the joys of selling after a year is you can hand over original manufacturers paperwork guaranteeing the car for two years.......if you buy second hand from a dealer, the best you'll get is a year's warranty.

One of the joys of selling after a year is you can hand over original manufacturers paperwork guaranteeing the car for two years.......if you buy second hand from a dealer, the best you'll get is a year's warranty.

Nonsense.  Buy a car from a dealer and you receive the balance of the original manufacturer's warranty.  In my case bought a 15 month old Skoda and hence received a 21 month warranty including the standard Europe-wide break-down cover.

Nonsense.  Buy a car from a dealer and you receive the balance of the original manufacturer's warranty.  In my case bought a 15 month old Skoda and hence received a 21 month warranty including the standard Europe-wide break-down cover.

Maybe up in Cotswold country you do but down here it's twelve months max.

I dunno, maybe the dealers sell the balance of the warranty back to the manufacturer?

I remember a mate who traded in a car that had 9 months tax left on it to a dealer and walked past the showroom a week later to find the tax disc had been replaced and now only had 6 months on it!

She doesn't trade them in, she sells them via Gumtree, AutoTrader and other sites.

Christ, she toyed with a trade-in a couple of years ago and was offered £3k less than she eventually got by selling privately!

I guess someone has to help fund the shiny suited, gelled-hair salesman who wander around car showrooms.

I think this can work if you are willing to sell the car private at the end of the year, but its a lot of money for a private sale would make me nervous.

I think this can work if you are willing to sell the car private at the end of the year, but its a lot of money for a private sale would make me nervous.

Faster Payments Service.

Your buyer checks your vehicle over, signs a "vehicle sold as seen" bit of paper and when he/she is satisfied, does the business with his/her bank via his/her mobile.

My wife then logs into her bank account and when, and only when, she sees the payment as cleared funds in her account does she sign the paperwork and release the keys.  It's usually an instant transfer of funds.

Totally safe and every bit of it has an audit trail.

Never failed us yet.

Edited by JuanCarr