Skoda Ensurance

MilgeS

Some insurers have conditions in their policy which states you must use one of their approved repairers.

Wonder how using this will effect your claim when it is you at fault, should be no problem if you are not at fault.

May try to find out from my insurer what their position is.

My insurer (More>Than) simply says that "Where you choose not to use one of our recommended repairers we will arrange for your damaged car to be assessed by one of our motor engineers to agree the repair cost with your nominated repairer."

The Office of Fair Trading is at pains to point out that, if it's your car, you have the right to choose the repairer.

From a quick Google search "The Office of Fair Trading and The British Board of Motor Insurers have agreed that Motor Vehicle insurance policy holders have the right to choose where their vehicle is repaired, regardless of the insurance company’s advice. Therefore you, as a policy holder are not obliged to use your insurer’s approved repairer and you can insist on having your vehicle repaired by the accident repair centre that YOU choose."

Having said that, I understand that some insurance companies impose an additional XS (I've seen £200 quoted) should you choose not to use their recommended repairer. I consider that to be quite outrageous and I would not deal with such a company.

you'd be amazed at how easy free legal cover is what with no win no fee things

your key have renewed mine every year now since i started riding my motorbike, most union members get it too, i always decline it at renewals as its just a con

legal cover is legal cover and once you have it on something you dont need it on anything else

I work for a large well known insurance company and we're happy to let you use a non approved repairer but we won't supply and continue to cover a courtesy car.

No additional excesses though.

It is the owner's right to have their car repaired by the repairer of their choice, although there are some insurance companies who like to make the exercise of that right as difficult as possible.

I have been reading through the policy documents of the major insurance companies :zzz:  and have found two that will make an additional charge (they call it an additional excess). Aviva and Esure will charge you an extra £200 for the privilege of exercising your right to choose which repairer you will use.

I have looked at 12 companies and none of them will provide a courtesy car, or guarantee the repairs, unless you use their repairers, but both of these aspects are covered by Ensurance anyway.

BTW did I mention that the choice of repairer is the car owner's right?

You should only need to use Ensurance anyway if it was the Third Party and not you at fault.

That way, all your's and Ensurance's costs will be met by their insurance company meaning they will pay Skoda to repair your car and pay your legal costs to Ensurance.

It's a win win situation for Skoda as they get paid to handle the claim and for repairing your car.