Noise when changing gear at high rpm

gingerunit

There is a strange noise when changing up a gear at higher engine rpm (4000+), it is evident after the clutch is released, I would desrcribe the noise as a 'howl', it lasts for about a second and is loud! I'm taking the car to the dealership on monday to demonstrate to a technician.

I'm concerned as the car has only covered just over 950 miles, reading on here about all the gearbox problems etc I want to get it checked out. Has anyone else experienced this noise on their Citigo?

There is a strange noise when changing up a gear at higher engine rpm (4000+), it is evident after the clutch is released, I would desrcribe the noise as a 'howl', it lasts for about a second and is loud! I'm taking the car to the dealership on monday to demonstrate to a technician.

I'm concerned as the car has only covered just over 950 miles, reading on here about all the gearbox problems etc I want to get it checked out. Has anyone else experienced this noise on their Citigo?

...not sure I've ever been near 4000rpm in any gear!

• Like 1

Probably just the VTEC kicking in, YO! :D

Sorry just kidding, I've not heard of this problem yet, so let us know how you get on fella

Hope you get it sorted

Damo

There is a running in period and it states not to over rev the engine in any gear, or words to that effect. Sounds like the OP maybe is doing just that. I say this as I have heard this howl, only when I am giving it some beans between the changes in the lower gears. It's not a worry and now that the engine has loosened up a little I can't hear any noise no matter how hard I push it between gear changes.

gingernut - I too experience this, or a similar noise. I only hear it near the red-line when changing up from 1st to 2nd, when it sounds like I still have my foot on the throttle. I also hear a slight 'chuff' between gear changes but have put this down to my driving style (don't always hear it if I adapt my gear-change style) but never hear the noise when in the higher gears (i.e. 4th to 5th) and never when changing down. Car is a 60PS Greentech that has now done 3000 miles. R

gingernut - I too experience this, or a similar noise. I only hear it near the red-line when changing up from 1st to 2nd, when it sounds like I still have my foot on the throttle. I also hear a slight 'chuff' between gear changes but have put this down to my driving style (don't always hear it if I adapt my gear-change style) but never hear the noise when in the higher gears (i.e. 4th to 5th) and never when changing down. Car is a 60PS Greentech that has now done 3000 miles. R

That sounds very similar to what i'm experiencing with mine. Still going to get it checked out at the dealership for my own peace of mind, and will report back.

Cheers

Gingerunit

That sounds very similar to what i'm experiencing with mine. Still going to get it checked out at the dealership for my own peace of mind, and will report back.

Cheers

Gingerunit

Cool - let me know how you get on - I am planning to take mine back but it is a bit of a trek and I am finding the time quite difficult at the mo...

R

...not sure I've ever been near 4000rpm in any gear!

Only on the test drive :giggle:

I can't recall it on ours in the 9.5k miles so far.

I would put it down toto driving style as said above.

Only on the test drive :giggle:

I can't recall it on ours in the 9.5k miles so far.

I would put it down toto driving style as said above.

Well its funny how of all the many cars i've owned over the years i've never heard a noise like this so i'm confident in saying it is nothing to do with my driving style, also when other people drive the car the noise is present.

Just returned from the dealership. I went for a drive with the technician, he has heard this noise on other Citigos and said it is not a fault just a characteristic. One of the reasons he gave was due to it being a small car noises are amplified :think: !

Another thing he said was about the number of customer complaints regarding gearbox/clutch noises, and how Skoda's technical department have sent videos to the dealers explaining the noises as part of the car and not faults.

I'm not totally convinced to be honest but they have made a record of my visit so its logged on their system, in case of any further issues in the future. I'll continue to drive it and monitor the noise to see if it gets better or worse!

At the end of the day its a brand new car with a manufactures warranty so i'm not overly worried, if it gets worse I'll ask to take out their demo to see what that is like.

I'll keep you posted!

It's worth remembering it's a 3 cylinder engine which by its nature makes different noises to a 4 cylinder which most people are used to hearing. My father got his the day after me, he's been round twice asking me to check it as he thinks it's making funny noises! I personally think they sound great :)

It's worth remembering it's a 3 cylinder engine which by its nature makes different noises to a 4 cylinder which most people are used to hearing. My father got his the day after me, he's been round twice asking me to check it as he thinks it's making funny noises! I personally think they sound great :)

I'm fully aware of a 3 cylinder sounding different to a 4, but the noise is nothing to do with that. This is a 'howl' when the clutch is depressed after 4000+ rpm when changing up a gear, its at its loudest when going from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd.

Another way to disrcribe the noise would be like when you'd expect to hear a dump valve on a turbo engine! ( Wish it did have a whistler on it though :giggle: ).

Agree the engine does have a nice note to it!

I know what you mean now. I tried this earlier on. I floored in in 1st to 2nd to 3rd and this howl you hear is from the intake. It's got a nice little induction noise. It's not worrying it's natural of the engine. It's a great noise :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.

Yes mine does the same, I don't see it as a problem at all, just a characteristic of the engine.

Ideal thats the answer I wanted!  Like I said before just wanted it checked out for peace of mind! It has no affect on the way the car drives just sounds a bit odd!

Cheers