1.4 TSi or 2.0 TDi DSG - which would you choose

• 1 month later...

Just an update, bought a 2.0 TDi manual in the end.

Firstly it made better financial sense with cheaper PCP payments, kind of felt i was getting a little less for more money by funding a TSi this way.

Secondly drove a 2.0 TDi SE manual estate, I half expected it to be a disappointment but it was like night and day compared to my current Blackline DSG estate.

Drove extremely well and the new 150hp motor is frankly a revelation, very punchy and definitely felt more rapid than my vRS (140-odd kg weight saving also playing a part); frankly cant see there being alot in it between the 150 and the 184 vRS given a fair bit of its extra power is eaten up by weight gain courtesy of the multilink suspension.

No doubt the TSi would have been a great car but the cheaper PCP and running costs (as its bound to be a fair bit more frugal than the TSi in most circunstances, especially once it has a few miles in it) won me over in the end.

Edited by pipsyp
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hello

Could someone tell me is it possible to install LPG on the green tec engines?

I am not sure how the start-stop system will work with the LPG.

I am looking into 1.4 Tsi green tec combi and later on installing a LPG. In my country the LPG is 65 eurocents. That is half of the petrol price.

Also, I see there are Greenline and Green tec. I cant make out the difference?

1.4 TSi Green tec(Elegance)-18900 euros + LPG costs apx. 900 euros=19800 euros

2.0 TDi Green tec(Elegance)-21870 euros.

Cheers

Just looked into power to weight a bit more....quite interesting (all DSG estates).

1.4 TSi 138hp & 1207kg kerb weight = 116hp/tonne.

2.0 TDi 148hp & 1292kg kerb weight = 116hp/tonne.

Mk2 170CR DSG vRS 168hp & 1430kg kerb weight = 119hp/tonne.

Mk3 184CR DSG vRS 181hp & 1432kg kerb weight = 128hp/tonne.

Makes sense why both the 1.4 TSi and 2.0 TDi 150's perform similarly and near enough as well as a MK2 CR vRS DSG Combi.

Also have to bear in mind the 1.4 isnt exactly light on torque, outputs the same 184 lb/ft peak figure as the 180ps twincharger and new 1.8 TSi units.

Think its a move in the right direction, a 140ps lightweight car with similar go to its 170ps predecesor.

That's all true but in driving there is a marked difference in feel between the 1.8TSI and 1.4TSI even though they have the same torque figure. Don't get me wrong the 1.4 punches well above its weight but the 1.8 is a real pearler and I don't just mean the extra HP either. From a standing start at low revs it just feels way stronger than the 1.4 unit. That motor would have done a GTI proud a couple of years ago the way it goes now, super refined too!

Still good luck getting the advertised economy figures on any of the TSi motors though in my experience. You still need revs to keep similar progress to the diesels when on back roads carrying people/gear in the smaller TSIs (not in the TSI VRS, that thing is a freak) and that's when the diesels economy comes through.

Edited by snala

I agree with snala re: the 1.8. I was really surprised by the performance; it's genuinely quick. I finally opted for the 103kW 1.4TSi (admittedly in a Golf, rather than an Octavia) and the performance is markedly greater in the 1.8TSi. That said, the 1.4 is a remarkable motor for its capacity and more than adequate for my purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The diesel DSG has issues especially in Eco mode which if your buying a car based on economy your gonna wanna run most of the time, as for the 1.4TSI.... it goes very well so well, I just can't drive for economy :giggle:  but, its a Fn big shedload of fun.

Regards

T