broken load cover stop

lola1896

Hi, my load cover won't stay unrolled because on the drivers side at the end of the runner/guide slot that the retractable parcel shelf slides along the piece that holds it open is missing (it has fallen down into the body work). It looks like a rectangle of plastic with a shark fin shape on top that clips into a rectangular hole, does anybody know what the part number for this item is as I can't use the load cover at the moment? The car is a 2009 fabia estate 1.9tdi, thanks for any help

Hi lola, this is what the part looks like and if it has popped out, then it will just need clipping back into it's position.

post-109860-0-82662200-1384092798_thumb.jpg

post-109860-0-56723600-1384092854_thumb.jpg

This is where it should be slotted in.

post-109860-0-53661600-1384093098_thumb.jpg

You will need some screwdriver torx bits (for the star shaped screws) to remove the fold down plastic hook, the large round baggage anchor & star screw in the gap left by removing the parcel shelf.

You will also need to remove the large knob that holds the rear light cluster in place, a large flat slotted screwdriver will do this.

Lift up the carpet and support it up & away towards the rear of the seats.

To remove the offside (driverside) panel, 1st you have to remove the lower panel by the boot catch.

This panel is held in position by 2 plastic pins facing inside the boot at either end, (these pins are made up of 2 parts, pull the middle thin pin out, then remove the larger pin) you can use a small flat screwdriver to gently ease these out.

post-109860-0-06319800-1384094055_thumb.jpg

After removing both of the pins, ease the panel up, as it will have 4 clips along the top holding it into the bodywork. Remember the door seal will have to be eased back from all the panels that you remove.

The top panel next to the small window will have to be eased/pulled away, as it is just held into position by metal clips (i used a small length of wood to lever it away gently, after parting it slighty from the bodywork). When replacing this panel, i found pushing it in first nearest side to the glass helped.

You should now be able to gently ease the rear of the large panel away frow the side of the car to see behind it and replace the clip.

Sorry about the size of the pic's, if you click on them they should expand.

Edited by sharky09
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hi, I have a Skoda Fabia 1.6TDI 2010 and have the same broken piece. I just wonder if somebody knows whether the parts number is 1Z9 867 825C or 1Z9 867 825 D 47H.
According to sharky09's photo it seems to be the former, but according to some Czech websites it appears to be the latter. Are they the same piece? And if not, which one am I actually looking for (guess one possibility would be to take one of the panels off and look at the still intact piece).

Thanks.

• Like 1

Hi aalopes, I can't help you with the different part numbers (maybe a lefthand & righthand part number?), but are you sure that it is broken & not just slipped out of it's position?

Thats what had happened to mine, so that it just needed re-clipping back in.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a mil for the info Sharky09. I have a 09 Combi with exact same problem, I intend to try fixing it in daylight on Saturday, I will let you know how I get on :thumbup:

Glad to be of help mate :)

Hi Guys I had this happen twice, thanks to my missus grabbing hold of the flap instead of just touching it.

I did the above procedure posted by Sharky 09 and to save myself having to do it again, I secured the catch with a small cable tie.

I cant remember exactly how I secured it but it can be done!

Now all I've got to do is educate Mrs dawpooldad in how to just touch the flap!!!!!

Rgds

dawpooldad

• Like 1

Hi sharky09, from what I could read, it seems that the part number changed but it still refers to the same piece.
I assume my piece is probably somewhere in there, but I just didn't want to go through all the trouble twice, that's why I bought a new one.

Just a couple of questions, in lower panel by the boot catch, you also removed the plastic nuts at the very bottom and not just the pins, right?

Finally, have you completely removed the side panel (which I guess implies removing an extra pin near the back seat), or just eased it enough to slot the piece in again?

Thanks for all the info.

Edited by aalopes
  • Like 1

Hi aalopes, sorry for the delay in replying,

Question 1, I'm not aware of any plastic nuts to be removed, just a thin pin, then the larger pin that the thin pin sits inside. 1 either side of the latch panel.

Question 2, I did remove the pin at 1st, but then realised that i didn'nt need to, as i didn't have to remove the panel completely, but just enough to replace the part.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Sharky09

Just to say a big thanks to your post, I too had this issue with the catch dropping down when i was a bit forceful with the load cover one day!

Ive got an 08 Skoda Fabia Estate 1.9.  Took me about an hour, the most difficult bit to remove was the boot cover, as i found there was 2 extra plastic bolt clips securing the lower part to the metal bodywork, they were easily loosened though with a socket set and then its just a case of being forceful, but careful at the same time.

I reckon this has saved me a good £50 on garage bills, so thanks again   :rofl:

Howard

Edited by roadford
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Thanks sharky09 - brilliant set of notes - took a bit of time but must have saved me a bomb. Also I recycled the clip by strapping it up with a cable tie.

I have an 08 Fabia Estate, and like aalopes and Roadford  I had to remove two plastic nuts right down the bottom of the boot cover. But also with the torx under the retractable hook you need to tie something onto the hook to stop it falling down inside the cover!

Edited by Freddie43
  • Like 1

Sorry. I am a newbie here. I can't seem to edit my last post (above)

I just wanted to say that the two plastic nuts right down the bottom of the boot cover are 10mm and you have to lift out the grey polystyrene tool storage unit to get at them.

Also the Torx are mainly T15, but the one under the retractable hook is T25

• Like 1

Hi Freddie, I'm only too glad to have helped you & others save money.

I have just been out to my car & found the 2 10mm nuts that you aalopes & roadford have refered to, when I removed the bottom section, I didn't notice these, as they were not screwed against the panel, as it just pulled up & away on removal, but looking back it must have been when I had the towbar fitted & the fitter never replaced it correctly?

It seems I have learned something else from uploading this info now, lol

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Thanks again everybody.

Glad these notes are still here (with my comments of 6 September 2014) as I am having to replace the clip again - thanks to grandson who was fascinated with how it works - and loves to fiddle to destruction.

A pity he had to wait till the colder wetter weather but it has to be fixed before we go away next week!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Thank you very much indeed for sharing this repair information. I really appreciated the concise but accurate and informative description that you provided. Thank you once again. Stay safe and best wishes. Pete.

• Thanks 1