Clutch Click! Driving Me Mad!

Mikhail

Just to clarify further, the TPI number I was given last year could be for one of either, or even both sounds in the area! Perhaps somebody in the know could help with this point now having been made aware of the confusion. Until that point is confirmed I would be cautious about using last years number.

At least I hope that my post will help owners explain the noise more clearly to the dealer regarding what particular sound they are concerned about.................

...........I would certainly hope so.

Especially after 150 posts over 5 pages - and after a number of approaches to dealers and Skoda UK management - and after Skoda's acknowledgement that there is a problem which they now seem to have found a fix for - and after Cortina's positive outcome.

But what a disappointing response here to Cortina's news.  I'd have thought those that didn't have it would be pleased for those that do and the naysayers might have acknowledged the situation with a line or two ....and those that do have it would have been tripping over themselves to comment on the good news.

Clearly it was never as annoying as I assumed it was and people generally got to live with it.  Which, with the benefit of hindsight, is the best course of action, I'm sure.  Not one that I subcribe to but, Hey Ho.

Been following this one with interest. I'm on my second Citigo now. The first one I did about 15k miles in and although I had a few creaks, I never had the Clutch click. It's too early to say with my new one as have only had it a couple of weeks. I am noticing a few subtle changes though. This new one is noticeably quiter and more refined. Gear selection (reverse) is different and more positive. My first one was good but am enjoying this one more. First one was a Greentech Elegance (75) - second one is a Black Edition (60).

• Like 1

Well my car is going to the dealers on Wednesday for an unrelated problem and I will certainly ask about this fix . What I can't understand is that I reported this to skoda customer services in January and no one has been in touch to say they have a fix for the problem is that just a case of skoda customer services don't give a xxxx !or the dealer or both.

I have learnt to live with the noise but I won't put up with it any longer if that's how they treat owners .

Perhaps my next car won't be a Skoda as I don't like being treated like a mushroom , "know I mean nudge nudge wink wink say no more"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just been told by the dealer they do the clutch click repair if it clicks when engine is switched off then they replace pedal box . If it clicks with engine running they have been told not to replace it , just a characteristic of the car lol.

Mick I think you are right with that assessment. My car goes in 2 weeks time to learn its fate! Click with engine off - fix. Click with engine on - tough!

• Like 1

Mick I think you are right with that assessment. My car goes in 2 weeks time to learn its fate! Click with engine off - fix. Click with engine on - tough!

Is yours one or the other?  (or both?)

Mine does it with both so I said if it fails they will have to sort it as they have said it's not an issue I reported it to them when the car had less than a 500 miles on it and I have copies of the case they raised so I can say fix it !

So I will carry on driving and enjoying it with or with out the click .

I feel pretty sure the confusion about the two sounds exists with the dealers as well.

Analysing what you have been told implies that if you hear the sound with the engine running then it is the clutch mechanism and considered normal, although you will likely be hearing the pedal 'click’ as well if you have the pedal fault. If the sound can be heard with the engine turned off then it is the pedal mechanism and a repair is allowable under warranty as that it is not considered normal.

• Like 1

We have just started to get a Twang noise as the clutch pedal is lifted and pressed (with the radio off). Is this the same noise as most people are reporting as the Pedal 'click' or just an annoying coincidence of pedal travel?

• 2 months later...

Anything to report, Mike?  Been more than two weeks :-)

Oh sorry, been a bit busy to keep an eye on what's happening in the real world.

Yes they changed the clutch/pedals and they do not click now.

Well not at the moment!   :peek:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Mines started clicking at the top of travel, and maybe at the bottom - I need to try the engine off trick I think then. Off for a 20k service soon, so I will get it sorted then hopefully.

My one started clicking when pressing the pedal and then it switched to clicking/popping on release, even though it became intermittent and wasn't obvious on the day I took the car into the dealer, they replaced it with no fuss due to it now being a widely recognised issue. The problem comes when, as many have said, they confuse it with the "bang" you get when engaging the clutch itself which is heard externally, I think click is far too discreet to describe the actual noise.

• 4 months later...

Is the clutch click now acknowledged as a design fault by Skoda? I've just mentioned it to the local dealer and got a dismissive "Yes, it's well known - just an inherent feature of the car". Inherent it may be, but it certainly wasn't present when we took delivery of it and I'd like to have it sorted.

Those here that have had the 'fix' - does it then stay 'fixed'?

Edited by Citigopher

Is the clutch click now acknowledged as a design fault by Skoda? I've just mentioned it to the local dealer and got a dismissive "Yes, it's well known - just an inherent feature of the car". Inherent it may be, but it certainly wasn't present when we took delivery of it and I'd like to have it sorted.

Those here that have had the 'fix' - does it then stay 'fixed'?

My wife's was sorted last week it's a 62 plate, so was coming close to the end of the warranty. The click or really more of a clunk which was very audible only occured on the top of releasing the pedal and the clunk was felt in the ball of the foot too.

They said they had to change something in the pedal box or change it completly, not really sure, I can see there is a brand new shiney black clutch pedal too!

It is 100% OK at the moment :)

Edited by Defenderben

Something has change at some point I´m sure. Clutch pedal feels so much different between our -13 and -15 Citigo. -13 is a bit clunky, but -15 isn´t.

My wife's was sorted last week it's a 62 plate, so was coming close to the end of the warranty. The click or really more of a clunk which was very audible only occured on the top of releasing the pedal and the clunk was felt in the ball of the foot too.

They said they had to change something in the pedal box or change it completly, not really sure, I can see there is a brand new shiney black clutch pedal too!

It is 100% OK at the moment :)

Was that a fix carried out under warranty? If so, it goes against what my dealer told me. Ours is a late 2014 (October delivery) car. The clicking started intermittently after about 3,000 miles. It seemed to be at its worst after lots of stop start city driving. However, since about 6,000 miles it's a permanent fixture; clicks at the top of the pedal travel when lifting your foot, then when it starts getting hot (in city traffic) does it when pushing the pedal down as well. A definite, fairly high pitched 'click' that can be heard by all in the car. I can feel it through my foot too. It doesn't affect the feel of the clutch or the way the car drives, but it is annoying.

Edited by Citigopher

We had our Clutch pedal assy replaced under warranty a couple of months ago. Specify its the clutch pedal and not the clutch or they wont do it. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Posted Today, 21:06

So the car went in today for the dreaded click! I have owned it for 2 months and had the click from day one. I turned immediately to Briskoda as a long-term member & Octy owner and discovered that the clicking wasn't just me!

So, I booked it in and asked for the clutch click to be assessed. I explained that the clutch itself was fine but that the pedal assembly needed changing. This was based on the advice I had read on here.

Result - a call at 3.30pm - "We have changed your clutch pedal assembly under warranty. Nothing to pay, Sir".

Excellent service from Blade Skoda Bristol. My first trip to this particular dealer too. Happy days.

Oh, and no clicking now!

Edited by dunc69

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone. Took my skoda citigo to main dealer and explained them all about issue with clutch as well problem with 1 gear and reverse gear . They offer me loan car and stopped car overnight in the garage to replace clutch. We will see what will be another day. But hopefully everything going right direction 

• Like 1