Clutch Click! Driving Me Mad!

Mikhail

I haven't driven the car since it came back, but I don't remember seeing anything on the form from the dealers. TBH it wasn't such an issue like the clutch.

I too have had the clutch pedal click from about 500 miles but this week at 7000miles it has disappeared!

I have also had the clonk from the clutch itself when re engaging the clutch on upshifts but this seems to be diminishing as well.

It's amazing how much better quality the car seems with the clutch click gone

I think Skoda UK are having technical problems not just with their cars. I filled in the form on the customer services part of their website. It took me about 20 minutes, just to get it right. I pressed the send button & the website froze and I lost it all.

So I resorted to the old fashioned method and actually spoke to a nice lady on the telephone. She took all my details and details of the complaint and said a customer services manager would call to discuss the issue in 48 - 72 hours.

They must get a lot of complaints then! I'll report back on what is said.

• Like 1

Now the new Nissan Cashcow has regrettably gone to the top of my list. 

Go to Qashqai owners club forum to see the problems on that car if you think the Citigo suffers from build quality !! I should know, I drive one myself.

• Like 1

Go to Qashqai owners club forum to see the problems on that car if you think the Citigo suffers from build quality !! I should know, I drive one myself.

Is it a bit 5hite?

me missus tends to say things like "I like the look of them"   standard response from me is "well, i suppose you married me, so i shouldnt be shocked.."

• Like 2

I had a clutch click, it started at 5000 miles and disappeared at around 7000 miles.

And as far as cashcow is concerned, I had one for nearly 18 months and had nothing but trouble. Turbo broke twice, there was an oil leak, suspension was really noisy and fuel consumption was poor.

Do you have the new model? Would be interested hear more if it is!

I had a clutch click, it started at 5000 miles and disappeared at around 7000 miles.

And as far as cashcow is concerned, I had one for nearly 18 months and had nothing but trouble. Turbo broke twice, there was an oil leak, suspension was really noisy and fuel consumption was poor.

hhmmmm.. and the numbers of them selling would suggest very much they must be good!

am i right in thinking that the Renault Captur and Dacia Duster are pretty much the same vehicle under the different frocks and badges?

hhmmmm.. and the numbers of them selling would suggest very much they must be good!

am i right in thinking that the Renault Captur and Dacia Duster are pretty much the same vehicle under the different frocks and badges?

Yes it is...

"am i right in thinking that the Renault Captur and Dacia Duster are pretty much the same vehicle under the different frocks and badges?"

Yes it is...

I'd be interested to know how the two vehicles are 'pretty much the same vehicle under the different frocks and badges'. 

I was never aware of this being the case and, rightly or wrongly, understand that the Duster is based on an extended Logan platform whereas the Captur is based on the Clio.

The engines certainly share the same genes and, of course, Dacia is administered by Renault  UK.

Personally, I tend to avoid Renault as a rule....and the prospect of buying a Renault based vehicle  -  that has been built down to a lower price than a standard Renault - is not that appealing to me.  But that's just a personal view.

Just had a very brief conversation with the customer services rep from Skoda UK, who just maintains the party line - 'There is no manufacturing fault and the click is a characteristic of the vehicle'.

No matter how I tried she would not deviate from this stance. 

The only thing useful that came out of the conversation is she told me that the MD of Skoda UK is Alasdair Stewart, so I can only try and ask if he can do anything about this characteristic (fault) before I put the Citigo up for sale and replace my soon to be 3 year old Yeti with some other make!

Just had a very brief conversation with the customer services rep from Skoda UK, who just maintains the party line - 'There is no manufacturing fault and the click is a characteristic of the vehicle'.

No matter how I tried she would not deviate from this stance. 

The only thing useful that came out of the conversation is she told me that the MD of Skoda UK is Alasdair Stewart, so I can only try and ask if he can do anything about this characteristic (fault) before I put the Citigo up for sale and replace my soon to be 3 year old Yeti with some other make!

I understand what you must be going through. I would like to share my personal experience with you.

1. I bought my Citigo and the very second day she developed an annoying engine squeak. Dealer couldn't fix the issue and after Alasdair Stewart's involvement the car was replaced with a brand new factory ordered one.

2. My 2 weeks old Octavia III had few minor issues. Not only those issues were fixed but I also received a £500 compensation cheque.

The point I am trying to make is, Skoda has the best customer relations team and they do care about their customers. Just because you are having few issues with you CitiGo, I would not recommend you to replace the most reliable Yeti (amongst top 3 cars as per last 4 years survey). I have had few cars in the past (Suzuki, Renault, Nissan, Audi, Fiat and Vauxhall) and almost every other car had few issues however I found Skoda seem to be caring what their customers have to say.

Every time I had an issue with my Skoda I reacted in the same manner however Skoda helped me out every time resulting, we have four cars in the household and all of them are Skodas (Octavia, 2 CitiGos and a Yeti)

Start by sending an e mail to Alasdair Stewart and I am sure they will fix it for you.

Saurabh..

I understand what you must be going through. I would like to share my personal experience with you.

1. I bought my Citigo and the very second day she developed an annoying engine squeak. Dealer couldn't fix the issue and after Alasdair Stewart's involvement the car was replaced with a brand new factory ordered one.

2. My 2 weeks old Octavia III had few minor issues. Not only those issues were fixed but I also received a £500 compensation cheque.

The point I am trying to make is, Skoda has the best customer relations team and they do care about their customers. Just because you are having few issues with you CitiGo, I would not recommend you to replace the most reliable Yeti (amongst top 3 cars as per last 4 years survey). I have had few cars in the past (Suzuki, Renault, Nissan, Audi, Fiat and Vauxhall) and almost every other car had few issues however I found Skoda seem to be caring what their customers have to say.

Every time I had an issue with my Skoda I reacted in the same manner however Skoda helped me out every time resulting, we have four cars in the household and all of them are Skodas (Octavia, 2 CitiGos and a Yeti)

Start by sending an e mail to Alasdair Stewart and I am sure they will fix it for you.

Saurabh..

Many thanks for this reassurance. The email went to Alasdair Stewart this morning, so we shall see. 

I said in my email to him, yes, I love my Yeti and the Citigo is excellent (apart from you know what  :x )

• Like 1

I am most pleased for you, Saurabh, and find it encouraging that you have had positive responses when you brought your problems to their attention. Thank you for posting your experiences. This is helpful.

I have a Skoda, bought new, and have had problems with the clutch pack, the front and rear badges and the glove box lid.  Not a long list and each of the problems were addressed in a perfectly appropriate manner by my local dealer, for whom I currently have respect and would recommend as we speak.  It's now out of warranty and I've taken out extended warranty with the people who maintain the official Skoda extended warranty when bought from new to, hopefully, help in the event of further problems.

However, the problem here is that Mike also has a Skoda...two in fact....and one of them has developed a clicking noise when the clutch is operated.  You and I, and pretty much everyone else, knows that clutch pedals on brand new cars don't routinely click when you use them.  On a motorway journey it might not be too noticeable but elsewhere it would be.  If I buy a brand new car part of the reasoning for my doing so would be to minimise the likelihood of major problems and an absence of ongoing and irrepairable minor irritations too...however we all know problems can occur and it is the manner in which any such problems are dealt with by the dealer and the manufacturer that counts.  In your text above you comment........."Just because you are having few issues with you CitiGo..........etc "         The expression "just because" is one that doesn't sit comfortably for me.  Mike has bought the car expecting a level of service and assistance which, in my view, he hasn't received and it's that that we're discussing, I think.  But, he will, I'm sure, take note of your thoughts here and will, hopefully, pursue the point, despite being told they won't fix his car....and I hope he will have positive news for us in the fullness of time.  In the meantime my local Skoda dealer won't be seeing my signature on any order sheets in the foreseeable.

As I noted earlier, I am looking at a replacement small car and the new Hyundai i10 has things going for it but the Citigo or Up! equally has appeal.......BUT not if I know that SOME examples DO develop a clicking clutch and, additonally, I further know, beforehand, that Skoda have officially, categorically, stated in writing and verbally that they WON'T fix it.  That may or may not seem acceptable to you (I'm sure it isn't) but it isn't acceptable to me.  I seem to recall that the last car in which I noticed the clutch pedal clicking occasionally was a Ford Anglia100E - and that was a 1959 model.

Thanks for your comments which are appreciated.

By the way, I'm still awaiting your  reply regarding where it says that Dacia Dusters and Renault Capturs are, essentially, the same car but with cosmetic differences.   Hope to hear back about that as I have looked at both cars in passing and never been aware that they were so closely related.

EDIT  I've just decided that I will write to Mr Stewart advising him of my dilemma...ie. I'd might consider replacing my Hyundai with a Citigo but won't do so whilst there is uncertainty about whether it's clutch would click.

Someone confirm his email address please?

Edited by oldstan
  • Like 1

In your text above you comment........."Just because you are having few issues with you CitiGo..........etc "         The expression "just because" is one that doesn't sit comfortably for me.

By the way, I'm still awaiting your  reply regarding where it says that Dacia Dusters and Renault Capturs are, essentially, the same car but with cosmetic differences.   Hope to hear back about that as I have looked at both cars in passing and never been aware that they were so closely related.

OldStan and Mike,

First of all I would like to apologise if my comment "Just because you are having few issues with you CitiGo" came across rude to either one of you. What I meant was "Mike shouldn't get ride of his Yeti because his CitiGo is having this issue. I understood Mike's position because I had already been there and initially the dealer said that is one of the characteristics of the new platformed Citigo, Up and Mii however after getting the right people form SUK on board it was resolved fully.

Pardon my ignorance on Nissan and Renault. When I mentioned about the same cars underneath. What I meant was, as nissan is owned by Renault (44%), the engine platforms they share are similar.

OldStan and Mike,

First of all I would like to apologise if my comment "Just because you are having few issues with you CitiGo" came across rude to either one of you. What I meant was "Mike shouldn't get ride of his Yeti because his CitiGo is having this issue. I understood Mike's position because I had already been there and initially the dealer said that is one of the characteristics of the new platformed Citigo, Up and Mii however after getting the right people form SUK on board it was resolved fully.

Pardon my ignorance on Nissan and Renault. When I mentioned about the same cars underneath. What I meant was, as nissan is owned by Renault (44%), the engine platforms they share are similar.

All noted with thanks.

Incidentally, re.   Nissan / Renault Encl...... extract from Nissan website statement re. the relationship between Nissan, Renault and Daimler. .........

...................strategic cooperation among Nissan, Renault and Daimler AG, a German leading automotive company, which includes the new common architecture for small vehicles, the sharing of highly fuel-efficient diesel and gasoline engines and the collaboration on light commercial vehicles. In order to ensure this cooperation more effective, Nissan and Renault each holds 1.55% of Daimler AG's shares, Daimler AG holds 3.10% of Nissan's shares and 3.10% of Renault shares.

See here as well...    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault%E2%80%93Nissan_Alliance  ..........which includes the following :-   The Alliance is a strategic partnership based on the rationale that, due to substantial cross-shareholding investments, each company acts in the financial interest of the other—while maintaining individual brand identities and independent corporate cultures. Renault currently has a 43.4 percent (fully voting) stake in Nissan, and Nissan holds a 15 percent (non-voting) stake in Renault effectively giving Renault control.

• Like 1

I've just decided that I will write to Mr Stewart advising him of my dilemma...ie. I'd might consider replacing my Hyundai with a Citigo but won't do so whilst there is uncertainty about whether it's clutch would click.

Someone confirm his email address please?

Email sent and 'read receipt' very promptly received.

• Like 1

Email sent and 'read receipt' very promptly received.

Hi oldstan, T

Thanks for your support on this one.

I sent my email; yesterday and again last night, but have had no acknowledgement yet. Have I sent it to the right address, I wonder?

[email protected]

Looking forward to hearing what the boss man says about the dreaded click.

Both our citigo sports are suffering it now, however not all of the time, it seems to come and go??

Is this the same for everyone?

Service for our first one is coming up so will raise it with dealer then & see what the reaction is.

Looking forward to hearing what the boss man says about the dreaded click.

Both our citigo sports are suffering it now, however not all of the time, it seems to come and go??

Is this the same for everyone?

Service for our first one is coming up so will raise it with dealer then & see what the reaction is.

I'm not going to pre-empt what Mike may wish to divulge in connection with the dreaded clutch click.....

But I think the expression would be along the lines "don't hold your breath".  

I'm due to speak on the phone with a particular gentleman from Skoda UK tomorrow (Monday).

From what I understand I don't anticipate that he will giving me the news I would like and if this is the case I won't be joining the Citigo brotherhood.

I will advise as and when.

• Like 1