Bought a 1.6 skoda roomster 3

michael99

Hi all,

As the title says I have bought a Bought a 2007 1.6 skoda roomster 3 with 80k on the clock, but I have not yet recieved it

as it is being fixed up by the dealer.

Its for my wife, she used to have a renault kangoo multispace, it died after a long run & then we got a nissan note. We have been missing the space of the kangoo, but I did not want to go back to one...so the roomster looks like the more stylish alternative to me.

I bought the roomster off Evans and Halshaw, I thought going to a large dealer would be safer, plus they gave a good price to part ex the nissan note.

The advert for the car said it was full service history but when I checked the service book the last service was at 72k, and its done 80k already!

So it needs an 80k service & it also needed a new heater matrix. 

So I still bought it, but only under condition that it is fixed & is given a service. So far the dealer has fixed the matrix & is about to start the service.

I do not have the log book yet for the car, so I was wondering does anybody know what the 80k service should consist of. Initially I thought it needed a cambelt, but I am led to believe the 1.6 petrol has a chain, is there anything else major that needs doing, what about the water pump bearing? Does that need doing at 80k regardless of having a chain or cambelt?

Ideally can anyone tell me what the service book says is needed for an 80k miles service or 130km service? That would be very much appreciated! I can then check with what the dealer thinks they should doing for the service. 

Well no worries, I spoke to Skoda & they say I need a major service at 80k & new brake fluid if it hasnt been done in 2 years.

So just looking forward to getting the Roomster from the dealer now.

Oh & also the skoda service centre said the water pump bearing should not need replacing any time soon & is not required at this service.

Edited by michael99

Congratulations on your purchase :) I'm sure you'll love it when you get it. Don't think the 1.6 needs a cambelt if its the petrol engine given the year it should be a cam chain. Have you gone for manual or auto?

David

• Like 1

As David wrote, it will have a cam chain if it's the 1.6 petrol. Mine's a 2009 SE Tiptronic, they stopped calling them 1, 2, 3 at some point and went over to S,SE etc.

Though not as high mileage as yours, we love it for its practicality. Coming from a Yeti we thought we might be disappointed, but it's been totally reliable and though not the most economical engine we have grown to love it.

• Like 1

Congratulations on your purchase :) I'm sure you'll love it when you get it. Don't think the 1.6 needs a cambelt if its the petrol engine given the year it should be a cam chain. Have you gone for manual or auto?

David

Its a manual, I would of preffered the 1.9 diesel but my wife doesnt get on with them, I think its because she is so used to driving small engine petrol cars she revs the car too much...its a very rough ride in a diesel. :think:

Oops edited because I have sticky fingers!

Edited by michael99

As David wrote, it will have a cam chain if it's the 1.6 petrol. Mine's a 2009 SE Tiptronic, they stopped calling them 1, 2, 3 at some point and went over to S,SE etc.

Though not as high mileage as yours, we love it for its practicality. Coming from a Yeti we thought we might be disappointed, but it's been totally reliable and though not the most economical engine we have grown to love it.

Yes the 1.6 does not seem all that great on MPG but I couldnt go for a diesel for the above reasons!   But I did not want to go for a 1.4 petrol as I do not like being 

stuck in the slow lane on the motorway with difficulty overtaking!

Hopefully The car dealer will drive it down to my workplace tomorrow.......I`m hoping it does not have any problems or niggles I have missed, particularly with the high mileage...its always a gamble buying a second hand car. The wife will be cross with me for part ex'ing her nissan note if it does!

Hope it all goes well for you. I wouldn't be too concerned over the MPG in the 1.6 petrol. We had a 1.2 Yeti before, which is a turbo petrol of similar power, and have found the overall MPG very similar, ours varies between 34-40 mpg. It obviously depends as always on the type of driving you do, and how heavy your right foot is, but on long runs at a reasonable rate we can usually get 37-40 ish.

This is nothing compared to our old 1.9D Roomster, which was always in the 50 mpg plus range, but we had to have an auto for medical reasons, and they didn't make a 1.9 auto Roomster as far as I know.

We're very happy with ours anyway, and our dog loves the low rear bumper.

• Like 1

Got my roomster 3 yesterday too....I`m rather impressed.

I think it looks rather cool too! (am I the only one I wonder as most people do not think they look cool at all)  

The inside reminds me very much of my old vw passat, nice quality feel about it.

However my dealers been a bit of a let down. My electric window control from driver side is working intermittently, all other window switches work ok.

Also the car was delivered to me with a low tyre pressure warning light on. This shouldnt of happened, considering I paid £100 for a comprehensive car check. In

regards to the window switch not working, I did get a comprehensive 2 year warranty, however I am not sure how that will work considering it was delivered to me

with the fault already. Time to get on the phone to the dealer again!

Anyway aside from the dealers efforts I like the car!

Glad you like the car. Not too impressed with your dealer, bigger is not always better! I have found a small local garage which offers a much better personal service and has been totally trustworthy for servicing and repairs, after all they need customers to keep coming back. Don't use the local Skoda dealer anymore after bad experiences.

I presume you know how to reset the tyre pressure switch, maybe it has a slow puncture, worth keeping an eye on.

Don't see why your window switches shouldn't be covered, after all if they knew about them they should have fixed them before delivery, if not it's happened since and is covered. Before taking the car back, if you havn't done so already, make sure the air-con is blowing really cold air, my last Skoda, supposedly checked by a Skoda dealer, had a dried up system, the air-con light was on and fan working but no cooling, they had to replace the seals and get it refilled!

Hope your dealer isn't too far away, it's the inconvenience of getting niggling faults fixed. I'm sure once it's all sorted you will love it, a very underrated car in my opinion.

• Like 1

Yes my tyre low pressure alarm goes off every now and then ,for no reason.Not enough to be a nuisance. Dont know how sensor works, maybe something needs cleaning?Goes off if new tyres are fitted as you would expect,but random alarms I cant explain.Press the button till it bleeps and all is well.

• Like 1

The tyre pressure sensors on a Roomster work by relating the rolling diameters of the wheels through the electronics. Stating the oblivious a wheel with a partially deflated tyre has a smaller diameter. That is what sets the warning off. Should be reset after new tyres fitted and after the tyre pressures are checked. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Hmm interesting....well 1 tyre was over inflated and another was under inflated for me. Corrected to the right pressure & pressed the reset button & the lights gone out. So looks like its working ok.

My first thoughts on having a tyre pressure sensor was its unnecessary. Now I think its very useful as I would not of thought to check my tyre pressure at the time without it.

This is what my Elswin says,and as Tyreman indicated.As I am not clever enough to fully understand ABS I will leave it there!

The tyre inspection display operates via the ABS sensors, which compare the wheel rotations and through this also the wheel circumferences. In case of a change in the wheel circumference, the warning light in the dash panel insert lights up.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

nice one on the skoda roomster , i have same model and spec,less mileage about 56k when i got mine ,love it

this coming from  a hyundai coupe and a suzuki sport swift before

fuel i find 40 average but have had 46 on roads if im careful and it does have enough poke not to be when you want,motorway depends how i drive

but from here to gloucestishire then south wales then back again cost me around 56 which isnt too bad