Major VAG group recall - 7 speed DSG

VAG this afternoon have announced three major recalls... One of which effects Skodas.

1. Tiguan recall for lighting issues.

2. Amarok recall for fuel leak issues.

3. Recall of all cars using the 7 speed DSG box to replace the synthetic oil with mineral oil. The synthetic oil in hot environments in stop/start conditions (urban) is causing electrical failures.

Andy

Would you have any links or further info on this please Andy.

My Fabia has a 7 Speed DSG but my understanding was that it is a 'sealed for life' unit

Also if this isn't up in one of the more general sub forums where everyone can see it, maybe this thread could be moved there.

• Like 1

My Fabia has a 7 Speed DSG but my understanding was that it is a 'sealed for life' unit

Also if this isn't up in one of the more general sub forums where everyone can see it, maybe this thread could be moved there.

It is my understanding/misunderstanding that the vRS box is 'dry'.

Anyone confirm this?

Tony

It is my understanding/misunderstanding that the vRS box is 'dry'.

Anyone confirm this?

Tony

Yep, brain just clicked in gear.

Fabia vRS and some others have DQ250 dry DSG7's, guessing this post refers to DQ500 wet DSG 7's

I'm only aware that the 7 speed was in the lower powered mk3's so put it in here, if it needs moving please do.

The news has only broken in the media (BBC, Sky and Bloomberg are covering it), I can't find anything on the VW or Skoda websites yet.

I haven't posted a link as it took reading three stories to get the info I did, some have been written confusingly as they are concentrating on the Chinese aspect of the recall (which is unprecedented). The recalls in total effect 2.6 million cars.

Andy

Edited by boff180

I'm only aware that the 7 speed was in the lower powered mk3's so put it in here, if it needs moving please do.

The news has only broken in the media (BBC, Sky and Bloomberg are covering it), I can't find anything on the VW or Skoda websites yet.

Andy

given the cars quoted above and the reading I have just done I believe it is the DQ500. I am not that sure that the small engine MkIII's do have this box either as it seems to have been primarily used in the big engine high torque applications.

I have found an official VAG press release.

The gearbox subject to the recall is the DQ200, I don't think this is the mk3 gearbox (think it was discontinued in 2011) so this thread will probably need moving if that can be confirmed?

https://www.volkswagen-media-services.com/en/detailpage/-/detail/Volkswagen-recalls-Tiguan-for-fuse-exchange/view/685711/7a5bbec13158edd433c6630f5ac445da?p_p_auth=9jfl4zCh

Andy

Edited by boff180

I have found an official VAG press release.

The gearbox subject to the recall is the DQ200, I don't think this is the mk3 gearbox (think it was discontinued in 2011) so this thread will probably need moving if that can be confirmed?

https://www.volkswagen-media-services.com/en/detailpage/-/detail/Volkswagen-recalls-Tiguan-for-fuse-exchange/view/685711/7a5bbec13158edd433c6630f5ac445da?p_p_auth=9jfl4zCh

Andy

All DSG boxes except the 2.0TDi and 2.0TSI are DQ200 dry clutches in the O3.

It all seems a bit confusing as to which DSG this refers to. No doubt Skoda or the dealer will be in touch if this affects those of us with an Octy 3 DSG or am I being optimistic?

It doesn't seem ambiguous at all. It states 7 speed DQ200 gearboxes. Which as said above, is used in all the lower torque cars, including the Octavia III. If I were you, I'd get in contact as yours will be a 7 speed DQ200.

Just phoned Skoda UK & they state that letters will be sent out to owners in the near future if their car is affected. It is not a recall as such but those affected can take their car to a dealer who will change the oil under warranty. They describe it as a voluntary option & is not a safety issue, however the stop start system may be affected if the oil is not changed.

It obviously only affects the DSG on some cars. Technical bulletins are only just going to dealers so they might not as yet be able to advise owners.

All DSG boxes except the 2.0TDi and 2.0TSI are DQ200 dry clutches in the O3.

That just shows the confusion, the VW Australia website is stating the box isn't in cars after 2011 and that the Mk7 Golf wasn't effected. The Oz site also states that it isn't an oil change but a complete replacement mechatronics unit.

Oh well atleast the word is now out.

Andy