I almost poisoned Snowy

MarieK

I braved the elements today (gale force winds, rain etc) as I needed to fuel up.

Suddenly realised that I had the diesel nozzle in my hand instead of petrol.....poor Snowy wouldn't have enjoyed that and I wouldn't have enjoyed the consequences either  :blush:

My last two cars were diesel so I suppose I can be excused for the almost slip up. Lesson learned....concentrate in future  :whew:

• Like 1

Good thing for both you and Snowy that you caught it before it happens! I am in the same page, just opposite sides. Used to have patrols and now on diesel.

Life is what happens while we... make plans!

• Like 1

Sounds like a lucky break for you there, I have never had a diesel car so I am not tempted to go near the smelly, dirty pump handles. Does the actual diesel nozzle fit into the petrol filler as I thought they were slightly wider, I know it can be done the other way around as I have had friends put petrol in diesel tanks. Take care of poor Snowy he must be suffering with his first winter up there in the hills, luckily he can look after you with the heated seats :giggle:

• Like 1

I don't know if the nozzle fits as I realised just before.

If it doesn't then that would have saved me if I'd carried on.

Snowy has been snowed on, hailed on, rained on, and wind battered recently. A big change from when I collected him in a 30 C heatwave  :giggle:

He takes it all in his stride  :rock:

• Like 3

It used to be the case that Diesel engines would tolerate anything up to 20% petrol in the mixture. With the advent of multi-phase injection and DPFs that's all gone out the window and any mis-fuelling would need a full tank drain and flush.

The same goes for petrol engines, though I think the tolerated mixture was down around 5%.

Edited by dcl5ad
  • Like 1

I braved the elements today (gale force winds, rain etc) as I needed to fuel up.

Suddenly realised that I had the diesel nozzle in my hand instead of petrol.....poor Snowy wouldn't have enjoyed that and I wouldn't have enjoyed the consequences either  :blush:

My last two cars were diesel so I suppose I can be excused for the almost slip up. Lesson learned....concentrate in future  :whew:

Glad you realized before you put low grade alcohol into snowy, he only drinks the best whisky :giggle: .

I have to make sure before I fill up because my van is petrol and the yeti is diesel.  

• Like 2

I nearly did the same thing as Marie but the hose felt "wrong" in the filler pipe and the penny dropped (fortunately). I've come to petrol after 20+ years of diesels and the first few times consciously thought about it which fuel I was using but then you think it has become habit to fill with petrol and "Gotcha!!"

• Like 1

It's bizarre that you can fit a PETROL nozzle easily into a DIESEL car but not the other way around. And which engine has the higher compression? The Diesel. So in which engine do you get the most damage by fueling it the wrong fuel? The Diesel...  so erm why are the pumps not the other way around?! Daft.

I put 10 litres of petrol once into my Audi - and THEN realised my mistake.  Cost me three hours wait in Chatham, Kent and another 90 minutes on a flatbed truck from there to an Audi dealer near home in London. Oh and £320... The joy.  Glad you caught yourself in time!

• Like 1