Low carb diet & interval training

kiddy1

Ok, so having been on and off a low carb diet for a few months I have seen some good results.

I am now looking at doing another month of no carbs but I NEED to increase my fitness quickly as well.... Is this style of training suitable whilst on no carbs?

If anyone can give me advice on either or both of the above points it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

You will struggle with athletic performance while doing low carb. as high intensity work will burn what little glycogen you have in your muscles very quickly... and youll feel shockingly bad when this happens and muscle recovery is slowed.

There are ways to minimize the effect - taking carbs shortly before and straight after your workout are your best bet.

Also not sure what kind of low carb your doing, and your endgame. but in the past ive found it very difficult to eat enough to cover regular excersice.

As Neo has said, a low carb diet and serious exercise can leave you feeling kack and and very tired, some folk will become very ansy,grumpy and iritatable but then again some folk wont! What ive found over the years is give it a go and see how it effects you then adjust as needed...everybody's body is different and will react different :)

kit :)

• Like 2

No carbs, no carbs at all. If you have done a month of no carbs at all I will eat my lightly coloured Vrs seats.

Anyway,

What is the NEED to increase your fitness quickly? Competition, weigh in for a fight or something?

Have you tried ketosis?

What is the end product?

No carbs, no carbs at all. If you have done a month of no carbs at all I will eat my lightly coloured Vrs seats.

Anyway,

What is the NEED to increase your fitness quickly? Competition, weigh in for a fight or something?

Have you tried ketosis?

What is the end product?

Ok so no carbs is what I've been trying for, realistically I've been having 10-15g a day which is still pretty good... Your seats are safe.... For now ;)

The need is to allow me to run 1.5 miles easier than it is now, I haven't 'tried' ketosis but I have been in a state of ketosis due to the low carb diet.

My goal is to get fit quickly and a bi product of that will be burning fat (I hope). I can lift weights all day long, I'm not fussed about being 'ripped' but as I already carry a bit of muscle It should pay off :)

• Like 1

Ok so no carbs is what I've been trying for, realistically I've been having 10-15g a day which is still pretty good... Your seats are safe.... For now ;)

The need is to allow me to run 1.5 miles easier than it is now, I haven't 'tried' ketosis but I have been in a state of ketosis due to the low carb diet.

My goal is to get fit quickly and a bi product of that will be burning fat (I hope). I can lift weights all day long, I'm not fussed about being 'ripped' but as I already carry a bit of muscle It should pay off :)

So sub 20g a day is pretty much ketogenic then.

Ketosis in the long term (after adaption) can actually help steady-state cardio.

Anything higher intensity - then low carb is probably not helping.. you may be getting fitter but its a very fine balancing act and youll more than likely loose lean mass at the same time.

I'm currently doing Insanity workout.. Haven't changed my diet much (It's still pretty bad) But even after 12 days I'm seeing results..

I've had a bash at insanity and it's crazy! I can't do it though as I have trouble with my shins so the basketball jumps etc destroy my legs.

Well done on sticking at it (y)

• Like 1

Are you training for a race or a specific distance etc? I'm a marathoner and ironman (or should that be ironwoman?!) and I've found that to get quicker at running, you still need a decent amount of carbs, but need to modify your run training. 1 speed work session, a steady paced run and a long slow run per week would be a good base to build on. If you need any help with training plans etc just gimme a shout!

• Like 1