Oil

Craig85

I hope I'm not dredging something up from the depths here but I'm asking because of the age and mileage of the car too.

Going to get it serviced as needs it and was just wondering what grade oil actually goes into my Vrs?

The car is a 2001 vrs with just under 125k miles on the clock. What grade would people recommend for it as I will be looking to mod and map and push it a bit so want to make sure I'm putting the correct stuff in it so it doesn't let go on me.

It's got fsh but no invoices to see what's been out in before so I don't know which way to go with it.

I use quantum platinum 5w30 from TPS. Both 5w30 and 5w40 fully synth are correct grades for the car, it just depended on whether it was being serviced on a fixed or variable schedule,but the main thing is to keep the oil as clean as poss by changing it every 6k ideally.

• Like 1

Ah that's ok then, I will get one of them sorted for it asap then.

I generally do an oil change twice a year minimum anyway with my cars, main big service and then an oil change or 2 at intervals.

Thanks for the info as wasn't sure which way to go with this one.

I used to work at a factors so could get hold of most things at a really good price. However since they made me redundant I now don't get trade prices and have little income at present to afford the decent stuff.

I will get something sorted soon and now I know the right grade will be a decent spec oil.

I fail to understand how people can drive a (semi) performance car and then skimp on stuff like oil, which is one of the most critical components in a car.

Just get the correct VW spec stuff direct from TPS. It isn't expensive...

• Like 1

I reckon it all depends where you live......I've heard that they don't sell to people who aren't trade quite a few times but I haven't had any problems where I live. Try them and see is your best bet.

I reckon it all depends where you live......I've heard that they don't sell to people who aren't trade quite a few times but I haven't had any problems where I live. Try them and see is your best bet.

The branches in Nottingham and Derby are quite happy to sell to the public.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I fail to understand how people can drive a (semi) performance car and then skimp on stuff like oil, which is one of the most critical components in a car.

Just get the correct VW spec stuff direct from TPS. It isn't expensive...

I wasn't asking as so that I could then say well I don't want to put that into my car, I only want to use cheap nasty sh***. I was trying to actually get the correct stuff as we checked in 4 different oil guides and the national oat site and on all 4 came up with slightly different grades that varied from 15w40 to 5w30.

I'm not trying to scrimp on things but merely trying to find out which grade is supposed to be going into it. I think from what I managed to find out its supposed to be equivalent to vw503.00 which is what was used today from what I've been told. Acea1,2&3, B2,3, C1,2,3 and so on with whatever grades they came up with but for what I could identify it looks like we got the correct stuff.

Also on the guides it was indecisive as my vrs is right ok the cross point I'm the catalogues so wasn't the most straight forward to identify.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions though, it's all done and dusted now though so now onto sorting the oil cooler.