Fabia vRS Oil Issue

These oil threads do seem to run and run don't they!

Personally, I think I have struck a good deal with SUK, free oil, this works for me, SUK insist no damage is being done to the engine or CAT with the higher oil consumption and this for me is ok, all complaints have been logged and if anything further does become an issue I can always refer back to the history of the car.

Will you selling before the warranty runs out?

Or extending the warranty possibly?

These oil threads do seem to run and run don't they!

Personally, I think I have struck a good deal with SUK, free oil, this works for me, SUK insist no damage is being done to the engine or CAT with the higher oil consumption and this for me is ok, all complaints have been logged and if anything further does become an issue I can always refer back to the history of the car.

Best way is too log all in writing with Skoda UK- legally sound approach. Link in the dealership as well, closes the loop.

• Like 1

peter6edwards,

That was a Bottom Engine Rebuild or a new Short Engine that it got.

The car needs a new Engine fitted or reject.

I would reject, the engine has been out once already.

the DSG could end up suffering.

I have a car with a rebuilt by 'Skoda' Engine, not Piston Rings fitted in some Dealership Workshop,

and it is perfect for 22,000 miles since the rebuild.

But i knew it had been rebuilt.

The price paid reflected the cars history, as it should.

Car fixed and perfect, then no need to be cheap, but some are around that are cheap, yet perfect.

Now many buyers are getting cars that Skoda have not written up the Service Book with the Information Owners/Buyers require.,

Engine Rebuilds or new engines.

We have been pointing out for 18 months that this will become an issue.

Just been to the dealership and spoken with the service manager - he said exactly the same as you: New short engine or bottom end rebuild.When he looked at the cost of the repair (circa £1100) he said probably bottom end. To be fair to the guy he was pretty reasonable, said they needed to carry out the oil consumption test (explained it exactly the same as you have) so that's being done Friday. He mentioned the oil breather replacement but given that it had the first repair carried out at 8,500 miles he felt that it could be a new engine. So probably decision to make in that case: allow the repair or reject the vehicle out right.

Thanks everyone for your advice, had a big difference - sounded like I knew what I was talking about  :happy:

• Like 1

Will you selling before the warranty runs out?

Or extending the warranty possibly?

I think we will decide at the time, the car has 8,000 miles on now, it goes well as you know and in all honesty might just extend the warranty on it for another two years, if I get a good offer on something else it will get chopped in, 3 years old with less than 12k on it should be ok for a trade in, maybe even on a Leaf as low mileage would suit it well.

mines booked in AGAIN this thursday, in 5748 miles since the engine replacement its still not settled down

i just want a car that i dont feel i need to check every 100 miles or so, what if i drove to london and back in a day do i have to pull over all the time to check it, hardly fills you with confidence

if i had the money it'd be gone quick as a flash, well pished with it just now

I had the replacement engine put in around 9,000 miles ago and touch wood the oil consumption has been reduced significantly. Before the engine change it was burning through 0.7l in just 200 miles! Coming from the old pd130's it scared me a little.

Latest update: Been to dealership this morning, they've replaced the oil with a known quantity and I've been asked to return the car after 300 km (186 miles). Given what you guys had already suggested, I queried the required distance (I explained that I though it needed to be near 1000 km) - the service manager said Skoda UK ask for 300 km, what do you reckon to that?

Anyway will keep you posted - once again thanks for your input!

• Like 1

Latest update: Been to dealership this morning, they've replaced the oil with a known quantity and I've been asked to return the car after 300 km (186 miles). Given what you guys had already suggested, I queried the required distance (I explained that I though it needed to be near 1000 km) - the service manager said Skoda UK ask for 300 km, what do you reckon to that?

Anyway will keep you posted - once again thanks for your input!

That is still a crap process from VW group.

However, make it short journey trips, cold/hot, stop/ start that makes up the mileage,That appears to be more reflective of the your DAY TO DAY experience.

Also from comments in the various thread here,  appears the problem scenarios in running generally.

Best of luck

• Like 1

ive been told to do 700 miles so why the difference? seems like they (skoda) really dont know what there doing and just make things up as they go along

I'm thinking of doing more TBH. The more I do the more the less the test will be susceptible to 'noise' and give a better average - I just don't think 300 km is enough. They'll have a tolerance for a give mileage and it's highly unlikely I'll hit that figure on the 'nose'; therefore they'll have to multiply the consumption by a given factor in any case. If I do more than mileage required they'll have to multiply by a factor < 1. 

Do what they want, take the car in after 186 miles has been covered,

let them remove the oil, weight it, measure it, write a report, multiply or what ever.

Ask to see the weight before and the weight after and their maths, & science on it.

Ask to see the Technical Advice from Skoda on how they are to test the vehicle.

(VAG do not publish possible Oil Usage for 300 km, they have for years given for every engine may use 0.5 litres per 1000 km

So they can not go changing what a Buyer might expect,

They are on a hiding to nothing legally,

so keep your Warranty good, play their game and if necessary Trading Standards will help get Expert Opinions

for you on the engine being faulty. An independent Motor Engineering expert will inspect the engine, rings etc.)

After they have tested and checked after 186 miles,

Then they can put in the same oil and let you continue and keep driving until 1000 km is covered,

621 miles, so another 435 miles.

Or,

if they say they must put in more new oil,

say 'on you go'. 

They can fill it with 3.6 litres then tape up and seal oil filler cap, they can tape in the Dip stick.

and you just go back in after you have done 621 miles.

Do not dip it, do not top up, and if the light comes on call Skoda Assist.

They are total muppets.

Sorry to hi-jack/bump up this thread but I'm seriously considering a return to the Skoda brand after a break away. I had a mk1 TDI VRS and is one of the biggest regrets of my life selling it.

However, a mk2 VRS fits the bill now, but this Engine Oil problem seems to put me right off. If I am convinced into buying one, is a call to SKoda customer services a must to confirm if it's had the Breather pipe mod and the ECU software upgrade?

If it has does this help with the Oil consumption fault enough to save the Engine from having to be rebuilt/replaced and what seems a lot of trips to Skoda for them trying to squirm their way out of doing anything about it before the Warranty runs out?

Also, are there any similarities in the CAVE engine as the old AHW engine?

Cheers for any advice.

The ECU upgrade should have been done to any MK2 vRS from 2010- 2011/12  CAVE Engine if required, done at the 2nd Inspection Service..

Nothing to do with Oil Usage, it was required on some of the earlier cars.

The Breather mod having been done probably suggests that some owner/driver thought it was an Oil Users.

So Skoda tried the 'Stickiing Plaster'.

You might want to consider avoiding ones that got a Breather Mod, ECU upgrade then nothing else done,

just the owner got shot of it.

Unless you meet the Owner, find out the full story, and if they say it uses no oil now. !!!!

You will probably want a good one with no Breather Mod done,

or

one that got a new engine after they find the breather mod never fixed a bad engine, or one with a CTHE Engine from after the summer of 2012. IMO

I would not think of it the same as any previous engine,

it is a 1.4 TSI/TFSI Twincharger with 178 BHP/180 PS (132-136kW) and 7 speed DSG,  

Some were built by VAG with poor Quality Control,  but the majority are OK.

http://volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_359.pdf

This is for the Earlier pre Cupra & vRS Twincharger.

so 103 & 125 kW

Different.

But similar in 4 cylinder petrol & under 1400cc.

http://vwts.ru/engine/ahw_akq_ajv.pdf

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. I didn't think of the Breather mod from the "sticking plaster" point of view, obviously used as a "buy some us some time/make it look like we're doing something" by VAG.

I saw the similarities with the AHW due to them both being a 1.4 and poss Piston ring and Oil consumption issue.

Thanks once again!

Do what they want, take the car in after 186 miles has been covered,

let them remove the oil, weight it, measure it, write a report, multiply or what ever.

Ask to see the weight before and the weight after and their maths, & science on it.

Ask to see the Technical Advice from Skoda on how they are to test the vehicle.

(VAG do not publish possible Oil Usage for 300 km, they have for years given for every engine may use 0.5 litres per 1000 km

So they can not go changing what a Buyer might expect,

They are on a hiding to nothing legally,

so keep your Warranty good, play their game and if necessary Trading Standards will help get Expert Opinions

for you on the engine being faulty. An independent Motor Engineering expert will inspect the engine, rings etc.)

After they have tested and checked after 186 miles,

Then they can put in the same oil and let you continue and keep driving until 1000 km is covered,

621 miles, so another 435 miles.

Or,

if they say they must put in more new oil,

say 'on you go'.

They can fill it with 3.6 litres then tape up and seal oil filler cap, they can tape in the Dip stick.

and you just go back in after you have done 621 miles.

Do not dip it, do not top up, and if the light comes on call Skoda Assist.

They are total muppets.

Latest: took the car back today after it's 'required' mileage. The guy at the desk didn't have exact figures but he said it had consumed around 100g of oil. I said that I required to see the figures and report, which he said wasn't ready yet and they needed someone 'technical' to talk to me. So now waiting on a phone call from dealership.

What is the manufactures stated tolerance on oil consumption for this engine?

Cheers Pete

Sorry correction: just read your earlier post 500g in 1000km. That would put this at about 330 in 1000km.

Edited by peter6edwards

No not 500 grams,

Engine oil does not weigh 1000 grams per litre.

it is 856 grams.

A litre of Oil in a bottle unopened only weighs about 900 grams.  ***3.6 litres of oil would be about 3100 grams at the start of a test.***

So VW/Skoda say in Owners manuals. ' May use 0.5 litres per 1000 km'. (621 miles )  so that would be around '428 grams'

207 miles maybe 285 grams of oil they say is acceptable.

But they talk about 1000 km, not 300 km or anything else.

It needs to be someone Technical that knows how to do maths,

But an Oil user is easily to check out, not over 300 km or the likes though.

No not 500 grams,

Engine oil does not weigh 1000 grams per litre.

it is 856 grams.

A litre of Oil in a bottle unopened only weighs about 900 grams. ***3.6 litres of oil would be about 3100 grams at the start of a test.***

So VW/Skoda say in Owners manuals. ' May use 0.5 litres per 1000 km'. (621 miles ) so that would be around '428 grams'

207 miles maybe 285 grams of oil they say is acceptable.

But they talk about 1000 km, not 300 km or anything else.

It needs to be someone Technical that knows how to do maths,

But an Oil user is easily to check out, not over 300 km or the likes though.

Do they state at what temperature the volume should be measured? Presumably 856g is at RTP?

advice please...

i have had the breather mod and software update to little effect. my 3yr manufacturer warranty has now run out but only brought it from main dealer in august 2013 so have used car warranty. they have just said i may need to pay for my 2nd consumption test. i thought this was a bloody cheek as i paid main dealer price for the car (nearly £10000) only a few months ago and dont feel i should have to pay to investigate a "known" issue. is this fair or am i being diffcult? should i start raising it with skoda uk?

it was under warranty when they did the 1st consumption test, i said it iscthe same issue but they just not fixed it... their reply was i will contact our warranty guy and come back to me. but they implied it was down to me.

Is it a Skoda Approved Used car and a Skoda 12 months used car Warranty.?

The car had a Breather Mod because it was tested and found to use Oil,

so get onto Skoda UK Customer Services and tell them it never worked.

Only a few owners have said that a Breather Mod did make a difference.

It can not make a difference to work piston rings or any other mechanical parts that are not correctly manufactured.

That is what the Warranty Covers, Poor Workmanship, materials etc.

If you know it uses more than 0.5 litres in 621 miles then no need to worry about having to pay for the test.

If they just do a Road test of 300km (186 miles) then it might well pass what they say is OK.

That could mean that you have to pay, so do not accept a Test where the car will be driven for only 300 km.

Ask to see the results from the first test before it got a Breather Mod.

Who ever sold you the car, sold one with a fault if it uses lots of oil,

so it should be covered under the 'Mechanical Warranty'. 

george

• Like 1

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/294051-cave-cthe-14tsi-just-reply-please-if-you-have-had-an-engine-replaced

It was not a Fix,

it was some trial of something, and on the CAVE engines. 2010-2012

Since late 2012 there have been a revised engine CTHE, some of these have been replaced due to High Oil Consumption.

Best not take anything Skoda say as being Technically truthful, 

If in Doubt or messed about, Call Trading Standards, start a Case against the Dealership.

Skoda UK are messing owners about on something they know is actually a Warranty Issue,

with their franchised Dealerships not helping matters.

The 'Warranty Expert they refer to in this Area of the UK' seems to be able to look at and accept the engines as having Manufacturing faults,

Funny how different areas of the UK and Dealerships can be very awkward in Assisting Owners with a well known issue.

Not funny how Skoda UK seem to be surprised every time they hear of a Engine Using too much oil.

george

• Like 1

advice please...

i have had the breather mod and software update to little effect. my 3yr manufacturer warranty has now run out but only brought it from main dealer in august 2013 so have used car warranty. they have just said i may need to pay for my 2nd consumption test. i thought this was a bloody cheek as i paid main dealer price for the car (nearly £10000) only a few months ago and dont feel i should have to pay to investigate a "known" issue. is this fair or am i being diffcult? should i start raising it with skoda uk?

Answer yes under goodwill claim-in writing.(e-mail Skoda UK Customer service. Retain all written communication. Copy to dealer