Lightly modified Octavia vRS 1.8T power run

Mankee

Hello folks. Wasn't really sure where to put this, especially as I'm still a newbie to both Briskoda and vRS ownership. I took my car to my friend's rollers today to see where I'm starting from before tinkering with it. My vRS has already had a load of good bits sprinkled on it before I bought it; remap, 007P, Carbonio filter, THS FMIC, exhaust etc. etc. and I know how my friend's dyno reads compared to expected book figures of various standard and modified cars as I've helped him run rolling road shoot-outs etc.

Anyway, the figures were:

201.9bhp @ 5509rpm

236lb ft @ 3430rpm

and here's the plot:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h9too1l0twvvvj0/PY04HSV.pdf

The torque figure is awesome! It explains why it feels so good on the road around the national speed limit in 5th. It is running quite rich after the torque peaks though, possibly due to having a 4 bar FPR fitted after the original remap, but we can't be sure. We were going to get into the map to pull some fuel out but could access the ECU for some reason. Possibly locked by the previous mapper.

Anyway, I love power running my cars and this one was no different. However, my turbo seems to have fallen asleep for some reason, so I need to investigate if any sensors have become unplugg or hoses split after the pasting on the rollers. Hopefully not a buggered up map...

Cheers.

Not a criticism but given the number of mods and a map I would expect much much more from this engine.

My Fabia 1.4tsi vRS has the same base 180bhp starting figure and on APR Stage I Map and CAI alone ran 215bhp and 270lbft (would suggest torque read a pinch high.)

If the exhaust is a full system then the car is at stage II in my eyes and should be running more power.

I really didn't know what to expect to be honest, but I totally understand your point. :)

The exhaust isn't a full system, so I still have the standard downpipe and CAT. I also have a blowing turbo/manifold gasket which I think has now totally gone and leaking like a good'un, which I hope explains why it feels so flat past peak torque.

Your TSI engine is totally different to an AUQ, so it's not really a fair comparison, plus different rolling roads, different times of the year etc. etc. Having both a turbo and a supercharger helps you out a bit! Peak figures don't always give the complete picture of how and engine/car performs.

How do mate! If the manifold gasket has gone a good a chance as any to get all the exhaust swapped! That mani back from the port and polish yet?

In my ownership it never had to have any hoses changed, so it may have got to that point in it's life.

That dyno plot looks fairly consistent though...maybe it is the fueling just not being turned up enough!

If I can help at all Mankee give me a shout.

• 1 month later...

I'd forgotten that I hadn't updated this! We've managed peaks of 207bhp and 251lbft so far, with no new bits added. I'm getting the good old surging though. The map requests a bar of boost but it is spiking up to about 1.2bar and gets pulled back and sometimes spikes again before the power smooths out past 4000rpm.

So I'm now collecting bits to take things a further, includig a trip to the Midlands. Really hoping for 250bhp and 300lbft, but we shall see. I might put a standard map back on it for now though, as the surging can be quite uncomfortable.

• 1 month later...

My mk1 vrs with a more-bhp stage1 map made 213bhp (more-bhp told me it should make between 210-215bhp) on an independent dyno, and when I went to stage2, revo software, milltek turbo back system and Forge induction kit, sadly standard intercooler it done 223bhp/240lbft before heat soak did get the better of it though.

Not much to report unfortunately. Still collecting lots of parts to fit all in one go and MOT next week so I can remove the CAT once it has passed. It is back on a standard Leon Cupra map for now with no surges and making 190bhp/190lbft, along with decent fuel economy.

Well, it's not as easy as slapping on a map, that's for sure! But neither is it rocket science, as the K-series is so well developed nowadays. The usual N/A tuning rules apply. 200bhp from a 1.8 is fairly run of the mill, 200bhp from a 1.6 is slightly tricker. The record is ~286bhp from a 1.9 K-series. My pockets are not deep enough for that, especially as I'd much rather trade peak power pub bragging rights for some reliability on the circuits.

• 2 months later...

It's been a little while coming, but I've finally slapped some good bits to my car. A few weekends ago, I removed the CAT/downpipe, turbo intake pipe, actuator, manifold and filter, and replaced them with a 3" decat, SFS oversized intake pipe, Beach Buggy Turbo actuator, a brand new standard manifold that had been ported and modified by myself and a pal at Scholar Engines and a new massive K&N on the end of the Carbonio.

A few surprises and clenching of teeth along the way included spending ages grinding down and moving holes in the BBT actuator bracket to fit the turbo, discovering that the car already had a Neuspeed intake pipe fitted (even Jonneh wasn't certain about this one!) and finding that the actuator has a crack pressure of 13.5 psi/0.93 bar instead of 10 psi/0.74 bar.

I was running a standard map to start with, which requested 0.6 bar of boost and produced 190bhp/190lb ft. After fitting the bits, I unplugged the N75 and drove it about for a bit. It made all the right noises, boosted to wastegate pressure, but felt pretty naff. So a pal loaded in a map which we wrote together using Dimsport tuning tools. Went for a drive again with logging and it was only requesting 0.5 bar of boost, even though I knew the map should have been requesting 1 bar from previous dyno testing. :(

I bit the bullet, plugged the N75 back in and... flipping heck!! It's back to requesting 1 bar of boost and goes pretty well. I've not done a full-rev, full-throttle pull on the road (irresponsible), but the limited logging I have done so far has shown some crazy results, with the numbers being calculated from the MAF Intake Air Mass of block 002.

Power: 182.58 g/s, 228.23bhp @ 4560rpm

Power.jpg

Torque: 311.15lb ft @ 3240rpm

Torque.jpg

I have a genuine private 2-mile runway to play on over the weekend, so I'll do some more logging with block 120 at full throttle over the whole rev range to see what the numbers say.

There's still some way to go yet in terms of finishing off the hardware and general servicing, but I'm seriously excited about a trip to the Midlands at the end of July to get the map finished off. However, I'm still a bit apprehensive about the power/torque output at the moment, so I'm not giving it the full beans too often in case a rod escapes from the block.

It'll be R-Tech doing the magic. It desperately needs the map smoothing over, but their waiting list is MASSIVE (~2 months), so I'd get it booked sharpish if you are heading in that direction.

Did another log yesterday: just over 207 g/s air intake mass at 6000 rpm. That's just shy of 260bhp! But I'm not confident that the boost spikes are a great idea so I'm leaving the logging for now and driving it like a granny until the end of next month when I know it will be safe to drive it harder.