Timing belt cost

Hi guys had a phone call today inviting me to book my next service including mot which will include timing belt and water pump. What sort of cost should this all be from a main dealer was quoted over £900? Just had to fork out 1400 for new turbo and 500 for a full set if tyres. Am I being ripped off? Damien

Sent from iPhone

Many thanks guys the car is a 59 plate feb 2010 so early 4 it's done 85k I believe the belt needs changing at 4 yrs or 100k miles so it's due. I had a problem last time with the dealership so they have offered 750 for the lot think I'll go with it. Thanks again for the advice guys. Fantastic forum!

Damo.

Sent from iPhone

Read other posts regarding cam belt changing , so damn  confusing with handbook info different to Skoda UK info, as to when you have to shell out for a cam belt change.

Edited by mellyboy

So assuming this car is now out of warranty, probably the best advice is to not go to a dealership for any of this work.

If you know of a good independant garage (admittedly it is sometimes difficult to know which are good), then go to them. It will be a lot lot cheaper than a dealership.

As to the question are you being ripped off? Well, you are talking about a dealership, so invariably the answer is yes, you are.

Not sure what the cambelt and water pump kits cost for Skodas, but id expect to see the cambelt and water pump replacement coming to between £300 and £400.

You can do better than £750.

Skoda have a national pricing policy.

Major service - £249

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/national-pricing/servicing

Cambelt - £349

Waterpump - £100

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/national-pricing/maintenance

Total - £698

Getting all three done together should warrant a further reduction too.

CR 170 doesn't need a belt change until 140K miles, my Yeti now has 100K + on it and the belt hasn't been changed yet as per Skoda recommendation.

Quotation for repairs and service on my car.

post-70698-0-24901700-1386439791_thumb.jpg

Yes Mk 1, not sure how this changes the labour and parts involved but I do recall a similar thread when I was looking and it seems I got mine done for a reasonable price compared to what others had been charged

Many thanks James you are correct got the service book out and it says tooth belt replaced for cr Diesel engines every 180,000 km. 4 yr service just says inspect belt only and not replace. What a swizz think I will be saving my £750 and going to local garage rather than dealership.

Damo

Sent from iPhone

Be interesting to see what my service book says when i pick my Octy up. Dealers says every 4yrs. I mentioned that some books claim 4yrs is just an inspection, but he reckons 4yrs it has to be replaced. He didnt reckon an inspection was any good, as you cant always tell what condition it is in, or if it is starting to slacken.

They arent sure why it suddenly changed to include time limit, when it never used to.