HiD Kits

Hi guys,

I think the main(dipped) beam on my car is kind of poor to say the least, i bought the osram night break plus to try and solve this, they improved but still not good enough. So i was looking on HiDs4u and i see they have a good HiD kit but one is h7 and the other is H7r, i have the projector style lights on mine but the full beam is seperate, so im just wondering which to go for?

Thanks Ryan

Hi

The H7 is for the projector and the H7R is for a reflector lens. In my experience after market kits in the reflector lens are very poorly received by other motorists due to the way the light is dispersed, it normally gives a very scattered beam.

In reality you could put a set in each but that's up to you. They are simple enough to fit. I got mine from http://www.car-mod-shop.co.uk/35wslimh7r-8k-h7r-xenon-hid-conversion-kit-slim-8000k.html I chose the 6000K bulbs.

The 35w ballast was the ones I was advised to go for and they have done me proud up till now

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Trees on the left or right of the road? Do you mean dipped or main/full beam?

Dipped beam will illuminate trees on the left of the road as the beam does naturally point that way as they wouldn't want it if to the right dazzling other drivers. Main beam should illuminate the whole road on an empty road.

Are they HID XENON or standard xenon?

Is there any difference between the brightness of the light between the different temperatures? For example i would like the whitest option which is the 4300k but you have suggested the 6000k.

Thankd Ryan

This might sound stupid but how can they not? Im under the impression the new HiD bulbs just fit into the OEM brackets (with some modding) so how can they not be adjusted? + mine would be in the projected which again im under the impression has a cut off point? So the light wont go higher than now?

Thanks Ryan

Ah, I refer to high beam as main beam and low beam as dip.

I have the Octavia vRS which I suspect is same as Fabia vRS.

When I adjust the beam height it only adjusts the low/dip beam and the high/main beamis  not adjustable in the car, hence my comment on dazzling other drivers.

I guess that's where the bi-xenons score.

I dont know what you mean by bi xenons? But yeah my main(dipped) is seperate from my high(full) so i guess it cant dazzle other drivers? Not had any experience with HiDs so i dont know. Cheers for the good replies guys.

Thanks Ryan

The bi xenons are the high and low beams controlled from the same unit with one bulb. There is apparently a solenoid operated shutter built in which when closed covers up the high part of the beam leaving the low only and when activated the shutter lifts up allowing the high beam to illuminate the road. That's about all I know but I hope it helps, There's always more tho.

I'm in process of converting my Octavia vRS to HID too but want to get the VCDS coding done before I fit them.

6000k had a slight blue tinge but the light on the road looks pretty white. I always thought the 5300k had a slight yellow glow, the ones you have ordered should be pretty good though, although they are sold as "off road/show" only.

As far as adjusting the main/high beam it doesn't really matter as you shouldn't have them on when other drivers are approaching.

Bi XENON - Bi means two, and Bi-Xenon refers to two lights in one unit. Both low beam and high beam are Xenon lights. There is really only one filament inside the bulb projector unit but it is used for both high and low beams. To switch from one to the other, a mechanical shutter is moved electrically to its raised position to focus the light through the lens for low beam and the shutter is lowered to focus the light for high beam. There are also quad lamp bi xenon units which use a separate halogen bulb to flash.

You can adjust the dipped beam by turning the light greeny coulered hex thing on the top of the light unit, park infront of you garage doors while doing it to ensure the beam levels are both the same

This should solve the problem without blinding other road users(assuming you adjust them sensibly)

I thought they were now an MOT failure if they did not have washers and self levelling. However, last week both my brother in law and my other half put their cars in for MOT at 2 different garages and they passed with no comment on the headlamps! Apparently the MOT regulations state that 'if xenons are FACTORY fitted then they must have active and working self levelling and washers' - doesn't say anything about what retrofitted xenon vehicles should have!

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I thought they were now an MOT failure if they did not have washers and self levelling. However, last week both my brother in law and my other half put their cars in for MOT at 2 different garages and they passed with no comment on the headlamps! Apparently the MOT regulations state that 'if xenons are FACTORY fitted then they must have active and working self levelling and washers' - doesn't say anything about what retrofitted xenon vehicles should have!

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

This debate has been done to death but essentially just because the car will pass an MOT with the hids fitted doesn't make it a legal modification. It isn't legal unless the entire headlight unit is replaced with one which has 'E'-marked type approval. :-)

True. But its only approx a 15 min job for me to take out all 4 hid kits i have in my car, and put the halogens back in for mot.

So i dont mind it being a tiny bit illegal haha.

Also, iv got 2 1/2 years till my first mot, so i dont worry lol

• Like 1

True. But its only approx a 15 min job for me to take out all 4 hid kits i have in my car, and put the halogens back in for mot.

So i dont mind it being a tiny bit illegal haha.

Also, iv got 2 1/2 years till my first mot, so i dont worry lol

No need to take them out for the MOT should pass fine.

People often confuse an MoT with being road legal. They are not the same thing. I don't have an issue with the legality so much as the naff chavvy kits (sometimes placed in a reflector lens) which are a danger/nuisance to other oncoming road users due to the glare.

Ah right. Maybe just take the highs out then? Due to the nature of HIDs i can only flash once ever few minutes haha.

I curse chavs with em in reflectors. Drives me insane when theyre following me. I even let one overtake the other day, so i could sit behind him with my highs on. See how he likes it!

• Like 1

The kit showed up today just now waiting for the HiD clips as i dont want to modify my OEM clips. Hopefully they will be here monday. The kit looks very good quality, all feels solid and well put together, they even put in a complimentary air freshener ;) my kit is only going to be going in my main/dipped beam, the full beam will be staying as halogen because of the warm up time for flashing, and hopefully the HiDs will be good enough that i wont have to use my full beam

Thanks Ryan

I did this http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/fitting-oem-retaining-clips-to-your-aftermarket-hid-kit/

Didnt need to buy extra clips, will only work if you have a similar kit ofc.

Doesnt matter how good your dipped beam is, its just that, dipped, so you still wont be able to see far enough down the road on open roads.

Enjoy!