Aircon compressor replacement

APJ

My aircon packed up a couple of months ago, only 2 months outside of warranty - bah.  Dealer has quoted £560 inc to replace which apparently includes some goodwill from Skoda. 

Anyone have any experience of aircon compressor replacement?   What is the price for the compressor part?  Is there not anywhere that repairs compressors?

All thoughts appreciated.

I had mine done under warranty just before it expired last month. Had heard they were expensive. Had been into the dealers a couple of times reporting it was noisy before they finally agreed to replace it. Glad they did.

£550 was the quote I got.

Got myself a third party warranty. Pleaded ignorant to the fact a few months later booked car into a different garage job done under warranty that cost half the price and i made a few further claims since. Win win for me.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear yours has failed too.

Mine went (became noisy) last spring, even though I always turned it on for at least 20 minutes a couple of times a week even in winter as VW group and other makes recommend, just to keep the compressor lubricated and the gas stirred.

Took mine to dealer as was in warranty period and when I collected it later that day they told me they'd replaced the condenser and compressor and re-gassed due to it having leaked out causing the failure!!

Doesn't seem to be a robust system at all and if they're failing like so many of them are, surely Skoda or VAG Group should be footing the bill for everything as that seems a totally unreasonable durability in my opinion.

Thankfully mine was till in warranty!!!

• Like 2

My aircon packed up a couple of months ago, only 2 months outside of warranty - bah.  Dealer has quoted £560 inc to replace which apparently includes some goodwill from Skoda. 

Anyone have any experience of aircon compressor replacement?   What is the price for the compressor part?  Is there not anywhere that repairs compressors?

All thoughts appreciated.

You should be able to source the compressor itself for about 250quid.

You will need to replace the dryer too (assuming the compressor has broken up inside). There are two versions, with one the dryer is built into the air con rad which has to be replaced as a whole unit.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thanks for your thoughts, folks.  Looking around at parts prices, it would seem that the Skoda dealership price is not unreasonable. Paying for a part and then fitting and regassing on top is coming out not much less then the quote I've been given. 

Just really wished I'd extended the warranty when I could.

Hi mate, just seen this post.  My aircon packed up out of warranty, but Skoda still did it under goodwill.  Cost me £139 all in.  If you search for my post "Aircon problem", you can see what happened.  Sorry, don't know how to put on a link to my post.