Slamming the boot lid on Estate

Just found your advice on adjusting after the dealer said mine was fine when I knew it was too hard to close. Adjusted it in 5 mins and now its perfect! Thanks for reccomending what they should have done all along.

Jules

I also tried it once again two weeks ago and to my surprise it went without a problem. Looks like the first time I tried fixing it was too cold for the plastic parts so I almost broke one plastic fastener.

Took a few pictures while at it in case anyone wants to fix theirs in the future. Also that plastic circular fasteners have a hole in the middle for an imbus key! They're screwed in and not pushed in. That will save you some trouble I had at first. Everything else is pretty much as Oldfellah described except you only need T45 Torx (at least I did - all 4 screws were the same size).

I adjusted the plate for a good mm and now the lid closes easily.

Some pics (after the removal of the plastic cover):

You can see 4 metal clips that hold the plastic cover in place

yuTLztv.jpg

Exposed latch plate

jjC3P0i.jpg

Close up of the plate

RLc9bsY.jpg

Position markers/lines around the screw really come handy

UHr8yXg.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I agree with the OP - sometimes the boot on my estate doesn't close properly and I don't realise until I've got in the car and started the engine and see the Maxidot display telling me that it's not closed. I'm sure it just needs a bit of adjustment at the first service which is coming up.

What I can't quite understand is why some poeple are getting so exercised over this. In particular I can't imagine why Syreyn sees fit to be so rude about the matter. I wish there were a "Dont't Like This" button as I would definitely be using it for his post.

And for the superior types who just want to boast about their power boot locking - personally I would not waste my money on something that gives me no appreciable benefit unless I were physically handicapped!

I have this on mine, on about three occasions now I have set off and the interior light has stayed on and I have realised the boot is not shut properly. So you are not on your own...

Me too

Will this be the same on a hatchback? Mine never shuts first time.

No, you undo the middle screw that holds the whole rear plastic bit on that forms the latch surround. Then you just pull up hard on the whole thing and it will come off with a bang.

Before you do this though, turn the rubber bungs at the bottom of the door clockwise first to see if that helps, not sure on the non power door wagons if they have this but you you should try first as well if they do.

If they are screwed out too far the hatch needs slamming to close to get them to compress enough to get it to latch. My latch is as far down as it can actually go and the hatch can still shut so the bungs make all the differance. If you adjust the latch too high up the seals won't work and the rear hatch will bounce against the frame on big bumps and look stupid from outside too alignment wise.

These cars are sealed really well air wise which could be the source of the issues in other posts but you do need a bit of force with all other doors and windows closed as there is only one air vent now.

Edited by snala