key wont turn in drivers door 1.3 lx 1999

Went to unlock car, I think I may have turned key in wrong direction, heard a snapping noise and now key wont turn in lock at  all.

Its  a "facelift" 1999 LX 1.3 i dont think it has central locking or at least if it does never worked for me.

I can lock and unlock when the door is shut using the locking button but the key wont rotate in either direction, wont lock or unlock.

Whilst I am puzzling out how to remove the trim I would like to buy any parts needed, especially if it needs a new lock barrel as I understand these have to be ordered in to match the key??

What are the team's views please on what part (s) are likely to need replacing please.

I see there is a repair kit sold on ebay is this likely to be appropriate here?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-Felicia-door-lock-repair-kit-front-right-/141126956629?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20dbd27655

it might just be that the linkage has popped off the lock, it's worth opening up the door trim to have a look before you go spending any money on anyting, if i recall a new lock can only be purchased as a complete set from skoda now ; ie keys, ignition barrel, boot lock and both front doors as a complete kit

It is amazing how quickly people jump to BUY new parts instead of REPAIRING them...

In our case the lock is metal made and linkages have plastic(teflon[tom]) joints. Which one is more prone to break/snap, umm?

The lock itself can be repaired too if anything snapped inside. Just post a detailed photo and we'll tell you what to do.

it's fairly easy to get it off, theres a few screws behind the door handle trim, and one under a little plastic sqaure thing near the bottom rear, and the winder handle has to come off too. there's probably a few pictures on here showing how to do it, i'll have to find them.. or i think it's quite well documented in the haynes book of lies

you can turn the key in either direction. If the linkage had broken off the back of the barrel then the key should still turn, it just wouldn't be connected to the locking motor so wouldn't operate the locking. It could be something inside the barrel that has broken/jammed.

I'd remove the door trim & see if you can see anything, if not remove the barrel & see if you can get the key to turn while the barrel isn't fitted into the door

• Like 2

I had this with a Clio. As above, removed the barrel from the door, absolutely soaked it in WD40 and threw it at the floor a couple of times. Unjammed the lock a treat.

If all else fails, you can get a barrel to fit the key from a Skoda dealer. Mine was less than £20. Saves ending up with more than one key.

If all else fails, you can get a barrel to fit the key from a Skoda dealer. Mine was less than £20. Saves ending up with more than one key.

not for a felicia you can't, you can only buy them as a complete new lock set now since 2011.