Which oil do I buy?

austenw90

I was intrigued - 99 replies to "what oil should I use" - impossible I thought.

What a classic case of post hijacking in the extreme!

Just compare the original enquiry to the last post :blush:  :blush:  Come on Guys!!!

The OP had a correct answers in several posts on the first page. December 2013.

He has had an engine replaced since then.

Many dealings with Skoda, and as a result that has helped others have their issues resolved.

New engines now being fitted.

So the Email he sent to 'Alasdair Stewart Brand Director Skoda UK', was a great move.

Threads evolve, there are far too many Oil Use and replacement engine threads in here as is often pointed out.

There are technical sections if someone really needs an answer to a particular question.

PS,

Maybe it is for 'austenw90' to say if his thread is hijacked.

I was intrigued - 99 replies to "what oil should I use" - impossible I thought.

What a classic case of post hijacking in the extreme!

Just compare the original enquiry to the last post :blush:  :blush:  Come on Guys!!!

I fail to see how I can hijack a thread I started. As George says, this is simply a story which has evolved.

If I could find a feature allowing me to adapt the thread title or give it a subtitle I probably would.

The reason  I keep it updated (or have done) is because I believe it to be quite informative and keywords can be found and direct others through Google searches etc which may help those who are not aware of the forum.

Edited by austenw90
  • Like 2

Solution/idea.

& You can then edit easier, including Titles.  

(but please not this one, other Threads refer to it to see your email.)

If the forum has been good for you,  Briskoda Freedom Membership,

£12. Bargain even to tight Scots persons.

Helps finance the forum, & there are benefits for members, including Selling stuff.

George ,

Hope you haven't had to go into hiding from the Skoda UK / VAG hit squad  .

No more sk4

Cheers.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

Covered just over 1000 miles since engine replaced... Oil is still right at the top of the hatched area on the dipstick. I actually got a technician to dip it with me when I was at the dealer last weekend - insanely annoying passenger door card rattle that they can't seem to fix and a strange metallic noise coming from the engine bay when the engine is winding down after acceleration, sounds like a loose connection or something.

He said to stop the engine (hot) and then dip after 2/3 minutes... He did just that and the oil was spot on at the top.

Edited by austenw90
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

That is good to hear Austen, I only hope I get the satisfactory solution to my Partners claim. 

To date, Skoda Customer Service .low and high in there internal food chain has been poor to say the least.

I await a further  response on Tueasday. Hopefully in a more Professional manner and more detailed meat on the bones of satisfaction!.

Thanks, I'm sure everything will be resolved for you.

Maybe they are in holiday mode for the long weekend - not an excuse but hopefully Tuesday will bring good news for you with a satisfactory resolution.

Thanks Austen,

I hope you are right

Good job it's a holiday break, managed to calm down a bit today.

Unfortunately still see the issue parked on my Partners driveway and the frustration therein.

However, a quick blast out in it today, reminded me that under the troubled skin was a good car trying  to escape!!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Post #55 in this thread,

has 'vxh26' suggested a 'pinned thread'.  

on Oil & Engines Replaced in Mk2 Fabia vRS 1.4 TSI Twinchargers.

Again this has been suggested by him in various posts.

I have no idea if he has done anymore on this,

If he has found someone Qualified & Experienced & an Actual VW Factory Trained Technician, to write a post that would be accurate or with information other than is already in the Owners Manuals.

Or he has contacted the Forum Moderators to get such a Thread Pinned.

Maybe there should be such an article if it was actually accurate.

& covered CAVE & CTHE Engines.

george

After ~ 20K km my 5L Castrol Edge FST 5w40 bottle is left with around 600ml of oil in so time to order some new stuff. I am now thinking trying something different just to see if a different oil will affect consumption (positively or negatively) which with the Castrol has been pretty consistent at around 250-350 ml / 1000 KM.

I'd like to stay at the 5w40 region and therefore I am between:

Mobil 1: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-805-mobil-super-3000-x1-5w-40-engine-oil-formerly-mobil-synt-s-5w-40.aspx  (George is that the one you use?)

Motul 8100 XS: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-877-motul-8100-x-cess-5w-40-petrol-and-diesel-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

and the allegedly "finest" stuff: Motul 300V: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-868-motul-300v-power-5w-40-racing-engine-oil.aspx

Thoughts/Suggestions ?

PS. Car is probably getting a custom stage 1 soon if that is any important. Also, cheapness is not a criteria here, I don't mind paying more for the best oil I can put in.

Edited by newbie69

Can't help you with 5w/40, but I've found that Liqui Moly Toptec 5W/30 specs seems to burn faster than the Castrol dealer-supplied stuff I've had in the past. It could be an (ominous) coincidence, though - a sign of worse to come. I will let the dealer put there usual stuff in at the next service in a couple of thousand k's, and see what happens after that.

• Like 1

After ~ 20K km my 5L Castrol Edge FST 5w40 bottle is left with around 600ml of oil in so time to order some new stuff. I am now thinking trying something different just to see if a different oil will affect consumption (positively or negatively) which with the Castrol has been pretty consistent at around 250-350 ml / 1000 KM.

I'd like to stay at the 5w40 region and therefore I am between:

Mobil 1: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-805-mobil-super-3000-x1-5w-40-engine-oil-formerly-mobil-synt-s-5w-40.aspx  (George is that the one you use?)

Motul 8100 XS: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-877-motul-8100-x-cess-5w-40-petrol-and-diesel-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

and the allegedly "finest" stuff: Motul 300V: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-868-motul-300v-power-5w-40-racing-engine-oil.aspx

Thoughts/Suggestions ?

PS. Car is probably getting a custom stage 1 soon if that is any important. Also, cheapness is not a criteria here, I don't mind paying more for the best oil I can put in.

Try this one, better than 300V http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-68893-motul-sport-5w-50-engine-oil.aspx

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

People that have had or are still having issues could maybe contribute to the Honest John forum,

& to BBC Watchdog,  because the other Motoring Journalists and Publications are still letting VW off easily,

because VW & Skoda (Seat & Audi as well.) seem to still just be dismissing it as a issue unknown to them,

and just a small problem.

Not great on those with cars not covered by Warranty.

Some stuff here is not very accurate, but at least they are Publishing stuff,

unlike the Others that are possibly so far in VW's pocket they never Dis them.

http://honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/skoda/fabia-vrs-2010/?section=good

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1