Filthy vRS

Got my 2009 FL Octy vRS estate last week and it is quite honestly the filthiest car I have ever owned.

After driving 500 miles the rear was so black the plates were unreadable and the entire rear end was covered in like a black sludge. I know it's the time of year and to be honest it doesn't bother me that much as I will just clean it more often.

So I was thinking would fitting mudflaps help the issue, I did this to my old Fabia vRS.

If so would standard Octy flaps fit or do they need cutting as did the Fabia mudflaps.

Any pictures of an Octy fitted with mudflaps appreciated.

Cheers

I had black crap all over the back of my old A4 TDi- turned out it was a leaking fuel pipe under the car. The smell of fuel was very apparent though, so I'm sure you would have noticed.

Washed my hatch yesterday as my rear plate was unreadable, no flaps fitted to mine either but I don't like them so I'll wash it more often.

I think flaps will help a little but it's the time of the year I suppose, nearly all muddy country roads I use.

The standard flaps do fit. You may have to fettle them a bit but they do go on without having to cut them at all. If you locate the 3 screws that fix it to the inside edge of the wheel arch loosely and fit the other one on the inside they should go on no probs. You'll probably end up with a small gap between the back of the flap and the bottom of the plastic section the crud normally sprays but its not noticable. They're not the est, but better than nothing IMO.

It's the aerodynamics of the estate. You can see it in action on a cold morning with the water vapour from the exhaust. The slab shaped rear end causes a low pressure spot and air and dirty spray is drawn in. Most estates are the same.

• Like 2

Got my 2009 FL Octy vRS estate last week and it is quite honestly the filthiest car I have ever owned.

After driving 500 miles the rear was so black the plates were unreadable and the entire rear end was covered in like a black sludge. I know it's the time of year and to be honest it doesn't bother me that much as I will just clean it more often.

So I was thinking would fitting mudflaps help the issue, I did this to my old Fabia vRS.

If so would standard Octy flaps fit or do they need cutting as did the Fabia mudflaps.

Any pictures of an Octy fitted with mudflaps appreciated.

Cheers

what colour is it?

Keep an eye on your engine oil level because my uncle had a similar problem and it was a cracked oil pipe in the engine somewhere that caused the back of his car to become covered in a black sludge like substance (oil and dirt)

Some bed time reading for you, a quite extensive thread on mudflaps for the vRS...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/210575-vrs-rear-mudflaps/page-1?hl=+vrs

As has been mentioned, the flat backside of the estate attracts the mud very well.

Saying that I'm suprised you didn't notice a similar issue with your old Fabia. I had one as a courtesy car the other week and was suprised at how quickly the back end got covered. I've never used the rear wash/wipe so much on any car I've owned (including our Octavia estate).

FabiaMonteCarlo-November20131_zps05f777c

FabiaMonteCarlo-November20134_zpsdf200bf

FabiaMonteCarlo-November20132_zpsdfd4635