Are mud flaps effective?

Hello all.

Yes, mud flaps again. As there is lots of debate about whether or not flaps instantly devalue a VRS estate, bring into question the mentality of the driver, look hideous or should be illegal I don't want to restart that. My question is simply are they effective? I have a white one coming next week and want to spend more time driving it than cleaning it. Will they be a big help or not? Thanks.

• Like 1

Depends on what you class as effective tbh. I have both front and rear on my mkII. My opinion is they do prevent SOME of the crud and are better than nothing. your vRS will still get dirty, just not quite so much. I think they help prevent stone chips especially close to the back of the wheel arches which is arguably more important. Pays your money etc.

• Like 1

We love in the back of beyond - mudflats stop quite a lot of muck cladding onto the numbers, but won't stop the dirty water 'spray'. Agree with 'littleade' here too - had to have my first MKII sills treated and repainted due to stone chip damage so had fronts put on my second MKII and all four to my new estate. They are very discrete and won't upset anyone. Plus there's no special fitting so they can be removed if required.

Thanks both. I'd never really thought of the protection elements but that's a good justification of the outlay in itself. Just need to decide whether to pay the £142 quoted by me dealer or give it a go myself.

Jesus! £142, are you looking at gold plated ones?

A full set of four flaps shouldn't cost more than £40. Fit them yourself, it takes minutes.

I don't have a MkIII but as others have mentioned the mudflaps on my MkII vRS didn't seem to be particularly effective. If anything they seemed to trap mud, leafs and grit behind them holding it against the bodywork.

We love in the back of beyond - mudflats stop quite a lot of muck cladding onto the numbers, but won't stop the dirty water 'spray'. Agree with 'littleade' here too - had to have my first MKII sills treated and repainted due to stone chip damage so had fronts put on my second MKII and all four to my new estate. They are very discrete and won't upset anyone. Plus there's no special fitting so they can be removed if required.

Firstly if im looking for a used car i always look for one thats had mud flaps fitted because the protection it gives to the sills is great, and secondly fair play to you Fatfudgecat for going to the back of beyond for a bit of hanky panky.smileys.gif

• Like 1

Guest Cossiecol

Anyone got any pictures of the mud flaps on a mkIII vRS (preferably a white one)?

Can't make my mind up if this would be a good investment or would just detract from the look of the car.

Rears are standard on Elegance. Fronts cost about £20 and take a few minutes to fit. You don't need to jack up the car or take the wheels off to fit them, but you no need to drill one hole each side through the arch liner.

Sent from my phone so please excuse brevity and spelling

Rears are standard on Elegance. Fronts cost about £20 and take a few minutes to fit. You don't need to jack up the car or take the wheels off to fit them, but you no need to drill one hole each side through the arch liner.

Sent from my phone so please excuse brevity and spelling

Where have you found the fronts for £20  ?

Thanks both. I'd never really thought of the protection elements but that's a good justification of the outlay in itself. Just need to decide whether to pay the £142 quoted by me dealer or give it a go myself.

Hi skovirg, I think that £110 is the 'approved' Skoda menu price for this; another member told me this and when I spoke to Telfords in Carlisle (without prompting) they quoted this figure too and fitted mine for this. Might be worth double-checking with you Dealer? Also, my Dealer said the MKIII protection was better than the MKII, but I've had them fitted anyway!