Bit Noisy!

Just thought i'd pass on my experiance of my blast down the Autobahn today, it was only a Short Run just a Few juctions up the A2 - WOW.

Pick up is so smooth i only got to 132 Mph as it was pretty Busy and drivers from France and the Netherlands were causing Chaos as they pulled Out into the third lane causing Audi's and Mercs to Chuck their anchors Out and deploy parachutes, no probs for the Octy so stable under braking, biggest Problem was the noise, flipping heck you Lot in the UK are lucky you can only Drive at a max of 70 mph lol !!!.

The chap's Face in the BMW 320 Estate was a picture as he begrudingly pulled into the middle lane to let me past he previously was flashing his Lights and indicating left in an effort to get a French plated Picasso Out the Way back into the middle lane ( he was sät a Maximum of 2 foot of The Picasso at 100 mph) yeah get Out the Way VRS coming through.

So to sum up the VRS is stable, pretty fast, comfy, a good load lugger, a cracking Family car but chuffing Noisy at High Speed, am i glad i own One hell yeah,

• Like 2

Did'nt Bother to Check, have to have another go on Sunday Morning When it's quite See if i can get up to the manufacturer's claimed Top Speed and remember to Check the Data afterwards!!!.

Nothing wrong with my driving style Not aggressive enough, nice to give the Audi,Merc and beemer Brigade a taste of their own medicine could'nt do it in the Superb (140bhp no Speed no go).

• Like 1

Nige you'll love it,on a different topic before you pick your VRS up get the dealership - motorline in Canterbury by any chance, to swop the FoG light over to the left, it's done via a Laptop Takes literally a Minute,Cut the hassle Out This side.

Did'nt Bother to Check, have to have another go on Sunday Morning When it's quite See if i can get up to the manufacturer's claimed Top Speed and remember to Check the Data afterwards!!!.

Nothing wrong with my driving style Not aggressive enough, nice to give the Audi,Merc and beemer Brigade a taste of their own medicine could'nt do it in the Superb (140bhp no Speed no go).

Stealth weapon on A2 tomorrow - look out Non VASG owners!!

• Like 1

Matty, do you mean the rear fog light? For BFG test. Did you buy yours from griffin?

Matty, do you mean the rear fog light? For BFG test. Did you buy yours from griffin?

Can they get both rear fog lights to work

Nige400'

I get all my cars through forces cars direct, yeah rear fog, i asked for Mine to be done before i picked the VRS up, told it had been but it had'nt so i got it done over Here at Schröder's on Hereforder Straße free of charge to boot!!!.

I've had Twin rear fogs on my Last two Superb's but apparently it's a no no under German Law i Never knew this,so i have just the left (obviously). If you don't manage to get the change done before Or while you pick your VRS up there is a thread on Here all about fog light swapping, That will help you Out the German Phrase you Need to get the fog light swapped over is on the bottom of the First Page i think. All the best for your new VRS colllection.

Just thought i'd pass on my experiance of my blast down the Autobahn today, it was only a Short Run just a Few juctions up the A2 - WOW.

Pick up is so smooth i only got to 132 Mph as it was pretty Busy and drivers from France and the Netherlands were causing Chaos as they pulled Out into the third lane causing Audi's and Mercs to Chuck their anchors Out and deploy parachutes, no probs for the Octy so stable under braking, biggest Problem was the noise, flipping heck you Lot in the UK are lucky you can only Drive at a max of 70 mph lol !!!.

The chap's Face in the BMW 320 Estate was a picture as he begrudingly pulled into the middle lane to let me past he previously was flashing his Lights and indicating left in an effort to get a French plated Picasso Out the Way back into the middle lane ( he was sät a Maximum of 2 foot of The Picasso at 100 mph) yeah get Out the Way VRS coming through.

So to sum up the VRS is stable, pretty fast, comfy, a good load lugger, a cracking Family car but chuffing Noisy at High Speed, am i glad i own One hell yeah,

Hmmm...I'm bound to wind someone up here but:

1. I don't think the pulling out into the fast lane is limited to French and Dutch drivers. My fellow German country men and women are equally likely to do this.

2. The dangerous ones for me are always those who seem to have the need to prove something. I doubt that the driver in the 320 was particularly bothered...but even if..why does it matter that a VRS is faster?

3. Apologies for destroying the myth that it's only Audis, BMWs and Mercedes' in the fast lane. Those times are long gone. These days any Astra with a half decent engine will do 125 mph.

In summary, I love driving fast like the next guy but I do keep my distance from those who treat driving on the Autobahn (or any box standard motorway) as a race.

So for now, I'm with skorvig and enjoy the cheap car insurance premiums....if there are more people like the OP around...they will indeed be short lived.

Im pretty sure the German police do not take kindly at all to tailgating on the autobahns, be like us doing over a ton on the motorway in the UK.

Indeed they don't. And their detection equipment for measuring the distance between cars is quite sophisticated.

Oh yes the cheap Running Costs are a Real Bonus especially for me the car was tax free and further Discounted, i don't Pay Road tax,Pay less than 10 euros for every 10 litres of Diesel and my insurance woks Out at 35 euros a month fully comp with all the trimmings, i do indeed love my shiney Black VRS:-)

• Like 1

May I ask if you are using winter tyres on these runs?

Goldfish, no winters on yet as it's unseasonally tropical.The car wont be Getting much use over the two Weeks, but the winter Boots will be Getting put on in the New Year ready for winter When it eventually Decides to arrive.

Matty, I'm pretty sure you will find that driving without winter tyres at this time of year in Germany means you are automatically liable for a share of the cost in case of an accident.

I would put them on ASAP. My understanding is that this isn't just about snow but certainly about temperature too (rubber mixture and all that). Anyhow, it's law in Germany so I wouldn't wait much longer.

Matty, I'm pretty sure you will find that driving without winter tyres at this time of year in Germany means you are automatically liable for a share of the cost in case of an accident.

I would put them on ASAP. My understanding is that this isn't just about snow but certainly about temperature too (rubber mixture and all that). Anyhow, it's law in Germany so I wouldn't wait much longer.

I think it is mandatory between November & April but am not absolutely sure?

Just had a quick look. There's no exception for tourists. However, neither is there a defined time period when you have to have winter tyres. It just says that you have to have them on the car if you are driving on snowy, slushy or icy roads. Seeing as this is a bit difficult to predict, the recommendation is to have them on from October onwards.

Just driven from Bath UK to the mountains in Southern Poland to see some extended family and got stuck stuck at Dresden when 4 cars became one and the motorway was closed for a few hours. None of which were VAG / BMW group!

Awards for "this trip" - and these always change - nominated by swmbo: High speed Tailgating - mainly by SK plated cars. Most unpredictable / unaware motorists - NL cars (maybe it was chilled). Slowest / confused cars this trip (not safe either - 40mph on autobahn!- were a convoy of UK tourists in old BMW's full of toys and children and wandering around the lanes, wrongly into the fast!

Contrary to popular opinion, as many accidents happen in the slow lane and there is nothing wrong with speed when deployed safely, so let's not go there.. And to those worried(!) about insurance premiums should consider that policies for cheap fast metal like the 2002 MV6 3.2 V6 Petrol Omega I drove down do not go up over time, only down! (Cheaper than the VRS quotes by about £10!) and they are available to a great deal more people than a 23K car!

Back to the topic, whilst I am looking forward to the new car, I'm also keeping the MIG as I don't think anything for the money is as comfy or quiet at autobahn speed! Just a shame about the petrol consumption!

I really like this forum, but by heck it's got some people who worry unnecessary! To all have a happy Xmas and don't sweat the small stuff wherever you are spending it! Drive safe, and enjoy your car to the conditions!

In fairness, the ones you describe a UK tourists, tend to be polish people driving home for Christmas. Sadly those ones I came across display quite bad behaviours on the motorway. This is further exacerbated by the mostly old and less than safe cars they drive due to the economical situation a lot of them find themselves in.

In terms of insurance, surely that is not surprising considering that the value of the older cars is significantly lower than of new ones.

Anyhow, I can think of a lot worse places to get stuck than Dresden.

As for noise, I certainly agree with you on the comfort of an Omega. Although the one I used to have was plagued by electrical problems. Not the most reliable cars.

If you want a comfortable, reasonably priced long distance cruiser, I'd go for the VW Phaeton. A truly excellent car.

Merry Christmas to you too.

Edited by bichti