Cigarette lighters not working: front and backseat, but boot OK

thepuss

My front and backseat cigarette lighter sockets don;t work "all of a sudden"... I suspect "little hands" but have no proof of any fiddling.

(I don't actually have cigarette lighters, just the plastic cover plugs, and MP3/phone charger accessories.

However, the socket in the boot still works fine.

As far as I can see from the manual the fuse would have to be a 50A under the bonnet ( F29 "Accessory Equipment" ) ... but I could be wrong. Anyway this fuse is fine.

Is there any in-line fuse on the circuit ? And, is this something I can fix (assuming it doesn't blow repeatedly), or does it need a dealer visit? 

ThePuss.

Ok, am I being a bit thick here? I don't think it is that clear in the manual, but...

Are there 2 fuse boxes? one by passenger side of the dash, AND the one under the bonnet I already checked? (I'm not going out to the car in this rain!!!)

ThePuss

50A seems wayyyy too high for a power socket, I think they're more like 10A in the main fuse panel in the car.

If there is an "inside" fuse box as well that makes sense... as boot accessory socket is on a separate fuse. 

The one I'm after (I hope!) is F35 which is 25A...

ThePuss

yes, there are two fuse boxes/ panels. I don't have a Superb so I don't know the inside fuse panel layout or location but if you have the owners manual it's in there I think. 25A sounds more likely.

OK.. feeling like a right twit now... Trying to remove the fusebox cover on driver's side dash end... door open, key (instead of screwdriver) in slot at bottom like in the picture in the manual, and...

The whole panel sort of flexes, but I can't find anything for the key/screwdriver to actually engage with, and I really dont want to force and break anything.

How the hell does this cover come off? Spent best part of 90mins looking for images etc on google and found nothing helpful !

Please tell me how this cover is held on and how to really get it off !!!

Thanks and Happy Christmas to all !

ThePuss

The fuse box is at one end of the dash or the other and is covered when the door closes. If there is no oblong hole at the bottom of the cover you are at the wrong end. The cover is about a foot top to bottom and 8 inches wide (30 X 20CM). If you put the key or a screwdriver in and lever gently it will come off.

The switch on the drivers door that stops the rear windows opening if a child in rear etc also isolates the lighter sockets.

Does it now? I had never noticed that, and had the impression that I always disabled the childrens (rear) windows...

I will have to have a play... when I have got this damned cover off !!!

The switch on the drivers door that stops the rear windows opening if a child in rear etc also isolates the lighter sockets.

I can't speak for other models or specs but the buttons for the power windows in the rear doors on my car are constantly disabled using the safety switch on the drivers door and yet all three 12-volt sockets are live constantly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
On ‎26‎/‎12‎/‎2013 at 16:30, thepuss said:

Does it now? I had never noticed that, and had the impression that I always disabled the childrens (rear) windows...

I will have to have a play... when I have got this damned cover off !!!

Jumping onto this old thread.

I have the same problem with my 2009 superb. The socket in the boot is fine but the 2 in the car aren't working.

Did you ever find out whether this was a fuse problem or did the socket have to be replaced?

I had my front socket dead and found it wasn't actually connected. 

the rear is easy to check, just gently pull the surround out to check its connected, the front means removing the ashtray unit which is  a pain in the ar*e

Wow! its been a while... but if I recall correctly the Boot lighter/accessory socket has a fuse under the bonnet whereas the "inside" sockets have a fuse under the panel by the side of the fron facia. You need to open the drivers door and ease the end off that panel to get to it. it was a bit of a pain because you cannot see how it is attached.

Hope this helps.