Suzuki SX4 S Cross - Any good?

My_Yeti

Talking of Suzuki, just been on the model configurator and the Vitara  appears to be very good value for money, something Skoda used to be!

Like to see one in the metal before deciding just how good! 

• Like 1

As someone said about the Roomster before, it looks like one guy designed the front, another the rear and they never spoke to each other until they saw the finished product.

The Suzuki is built on Fiat running gear I believe? Probably no better or worse than any other similar vehicle in its price bracket.

It's a Fiat Diesel engine, but the rest of the car is Suzuki. Fortunately it's a good Fiat engine.

It's a Fiat Diesel engine, but the rest of the car is Suzuki. Fortunately it's a good Fiat engine.

The 1.9 Fiat diesel in my Sedici was a bit of a dog :( You couldn't use 1st gear until the car had warmed up a little. You had to leave the car in 1st gear if you intended to pull off in it the next morning.

Not posted here for some time but thought I'd join in since I have owned a Yeti and own an S-Cross...

I would have the Yeti for its character, higher driving position, steering feel on the motorway, pleasing shove from the turbo engines (1.2TSI vs 1.6 n/a Suzuki), residual values (are they still excellent?), trim quality (the odd buzz aside), solid feel, headroom.

I would choose the Suzuki for its bigger boot (significantly so with spare wheel option on the Yeti), better fuel economy (approx 10%), more rear legroom, value for money, lower co2/VED, standard spec.

Both cars handle well but the Yeti feels more solid at speed whereas the S-Cross feels a little more agile around town. The S-cross ride is slightly better but still below par compared to a Golf/Octavia (I haven't driven a facelift Yeti though). Objectively the S-Cross is the more suitable car for my needs but the truth is I chose one because the Yeti increased in price so much since I bought one of the first and the Suzuki (particularly the lower half of the range) is a lot of decent car for the money. 

I have the petrol S-Cross and there is zero Fiat input. For those who want a Suzuki alternative to the Yeti I would look at the new Vitara. It is a more upright shape and has a more SUVish driving position, bit shorter though.

• Like 1

Not posted here for some time but thought I'd join in since I have owned a Yeti and own an S-Cross...

I would have the Yeti for its character, higher driving position, steering feel on the motorway, pleasing shove from the turbo engines (1.2TSI vs 1.6 n/a Suzuki), residual values (are they still excellent?), trim quality (the odd buzz aside), solid feel, headroom.

I would choose the Suzuki for its bigger boot (significantly so with spare wheel option on the Yeti), better fuel economy (approx 10%), more rear legroom, value for money, lower co2/VED, standard spec.

Both cars handle well but the Yeti feels more solid at speed whereas the S-Cross feels a little more agile around town. The S-cross ride is slightly better but still below par compared to a Golf/Octavia (I haven't driven a facelift Yeti though). Objectively the S-Cross is the more suitable car for my needs but the truth is I chose one because the Yeti increased in price so much since I bought one of the first and the Suzuki (particularly the lower half of the range) is a lot of decent car for the money. 

I have the petrol S-Cross and there is zero Fiat input. For those who want a Suzuki alternative to the Yeti I would look at the new Vitara. It is a more upright shape and has a more SUVish driving position, bit shorter though.

Thanks :) Very useful. When I looked at the Cross and did realise that it isn't full of premium materials, but this is reflected in the price but the fact the cars come pretty well fully loaded too is a bonus. I also like the old school way of locking the centre diff/transmission. The Vitara is in my headlights so to speak. I may go and have a look at one tomorrow if I can get out of bed in time :D Actually the spec on the Vitara is even higher than on the Cross as it also has adaptive cruise control and (I think) full LED lights. Plus the economy is even better than the Cross, which is pretty much class leading from what I have read.

I like Suzukis, they seem an honest car to me, if you know what I mean

You're welcome. I like Suzukis too, I've had three new ones over the years and I wouldn't rule out a fourth at some stage. They are on the value side of things (and feel it in parts) but they drive well and they work, some of them even look good. Mine is boost blue, an excellent colour and the front end looks a lot better in the flesh than in some of the photos. I'm looking forward to trying the new Vitara, it does have an excellent spec although I'm disappointed that you have to have the top of the range trim level to get the option of four wheel drive or automatic. Fuel economy on the S-Cross is very impressive. I have averaged over 50 mpg (calculated) on several long, steady trips and mine is the petrol version. It isn't perfect, not by a long chalk, but it suits me at the moment.

You're welcome. I like Suzukis too, I've had three new ones over the years and I wouldn't rule out a fourth at some stage. They are on the value side of things (and feel it in parts) but they drive well and they work, some of them even look good. Mine is boost blue, an excellent colour and the front end looks a lot better in the flesh than in some of the photos. I'm looking forward to trying the new Vitara, it does have an excellent spec although I'm disappointed that you have to have the top of the range trim level to get the option of four wheel drive or automatic. Fuel economy on the S-Cross is very impressive. I have averaged over 50 mpg (calculated) on several long, steady trips and mine is the petrol version. It isn't perfect, not by a long chalk, but it suits me at the moment.

I really want diesel, 4x4 and Xenons/LEDs and the rest is negotiable according to price, but as you say you have to have the SZ5 is you want 4x4. Wonder if they will put it on the SZ-T eventually, like in the Cross? It would make sense to offer it in more than one spec as it purports to be more of a 4x4 style car than the Cross.

Your mpg is impressive for a petrol!! I tend to be a little heavy footed, but would still hope to see 50mpg on a 4x4 diesel while bombing along on the motorway (at legal speeds of course :) )

I have, in the past, had 6 Suzukis across all the model range. I only changed to a Roomster because I needed the torque of a diesel for towing and at that time there wasn't a diesel available from Suzuki. Only later did they produce the SX4 with the 1.9 Fiat engine. But I didn't keep my SX4 1.6 petrol 4Grip for long as I considered the lack of front quarter visibility due to the intrusive "A" pillar to be a hazard.

The Roomster1.9tdi was good for towing so I continued with Skoda and am on my second Yeti. I have now "retired" from towing but am reluctant to change from the Yeti, it suits my motoring needs perfectly and I can't see anything that gets anywhere near it for driving position,economy for 4x4, DSG gearbox and sheer fun of driving.

The new Vitara only has 1.6 engines, no turbos, only auto is torque convertor on petrol version and it has the word "Evoque" in one of the reviews. :devil:

Fred 

• Like 1

I agree, Suzuki, or most others, don't have an answer to a Yeti 4x4 DSG. I'll be back in one within a couple of years and my dad has just ordered a new one. The S-Cross feels like a regular car that has been lifted on its suspension whereas you sit in a Yeti and get a sense of adventure. I hope that the next generation retains its upright stance.

The new Vitara only has 1.6 engines, no turbos, only auto is torque convertor on petrol version and it has the word "Evoque" in one of the reviews. :devil:

Fred 

The Vitara has a Turbo Diesel version

Thee is talk of a quicker Turbo Petrol coming along later too

Edited by Lady Elanore

The Suzuki forums are poor, very little traffic apart from one S-Cross owners club forum that was set up but then taken down just as it was getting going. Another reason to stick with Skoda perhaps!

Yes, Lady E, a petrol turbo Suzuki engine is on the way and will hopefully be offered in the Vitara. The diesel Fiat lump is a bit agricultural but its very good on fuel and the weight of it settles the suspension down nicely, in the S-Cross at least.

The Suzuki forums are poor, very little traffic apart from one S-Cross owners club forum that was set up but then taken down just as it was getting going. Another reason to stick with Skoda perhaps!

Yes, Lady E, a petrol turbo Suzuki engine is on the way and will hopefully be offered in the Vitara. The diesel Fiat lump is a bit agricultural but its very good on fuel and the weight of it settles the suspension down nicely, in the S-Cross at least.

I look at a secondhand yeti every now and then, but even though the interior is nicer and the car seems to be more refined than most, I like the idea of a light 4x4 and one that has the magic word 'lock' on a knob/button. My Sedici was surprisingly good in mud and snow, much of this I put down to it's relatively light weight. In fact I remember going in a school friends brother's Panda 4x4 (I think it was just a 1.0 litre) and it was unstoppable in proper off-road conditions. So light it danced over some seriously slushy and muddy surfaces. better than his dads Range Rover in some situations :) I've not heard of anyone having any serious problems with the Yeti though, or perhaps they don't stray far from the beaten path?

I look at a secondhand yeti every now and then, but even though the interior is nicer and the car seems to be more refined than most, I like the idea of a light 4x4 and one that has the magic word 'lock' on a knob/button. My Sedici was surprisingly good in mud and snow, much of this I put down to it's relatively light weight. In fact I remember going in a school friends brother's Panda 4x4 (I think it was just a 1.0 litre) and it was unstoppable in proper off-road conditions. So light it danced over some seriously slushy and muddy surfaces. better than his dads Range Rover in some situations :) I've not heard of anyone having any serious problems with the Yeti though, or perhaps they don't stray far from the beaten path?

Wanna bet!!

I was out greenlaning in mine yesterday.

Wanna bet!!

I was out greenlaning in mine yesterday.

Is your's standard, or is it skid plated, snorkled and all that other gubbins

Oooh oooh oooh do you have a winch. I have a thing for winches :)

• Like 1

Absolutely standard Amanda, even down to the road tyres.

There are no toys like that available for Yeti's, other than the standard sump guard.

And to be honest in the more than 10 years I've had 4x4's I've never really modified any of them; never found a need to.

Absolutely standard Amanda, even down to the road tyres.

There are no toys like that available for Yeti's, other than the standard sump guard.

And to be honest in the more than 10 years I've had 4x4's I've never really modified any of them; never found a need to.

But surely a winch is sexy...or is that just me?

The Vitara has a Turbo Diesel version

I must have missed that, where does it say that? As far as I can see it just says 1.6DDIS, no mention that it is a Turbo.

Fred