service time.......1.9 pickup

first of all a big thanks to all who have assisted me so far it is really appreciated and i look forward to when i can help out as much as you guys have!
my 1.9 pickup is due a service, i know the basics, oil, filter, fuel filter, air filter, simple enough but i have read somewhere about cleaning carbon from somewhere and resetting the ecu?? could someone confirm this for me and is there anything i may have missed or can do while servicing, cheers

You seem to have the engine service covered, you may need a sump plug washer.  Don't know about cleaning the carbon and there is no ECU reset required.  They can be a pain to get started after fuel filter change, get the new one filled as much as you can with fresh diesel and ensure that the battery is up to the job.

Gearbox oil change interval is 40,000 miles, a brake inspection/clean up and adjust wouldn't go amiss as well as the other service checks, tyres, lights & wipers etc.

• Like 2

You seem to have the engine service covered, you may need a sump plug washer.  Don't know about cleaning the carbon and there is no ECU reset required.  They can be a pain to get started after fuel filter change, get the new one filled as much as you can with fresh diesel and ensure that the battery is up to the job.

Gearbox oil change interval is 40,000 miles, a brake inspection/clean up and adjust wouldn't go amiss as well as the other service checks, tyres, lights & wipers etc.

cheers fella, never thought about the gearbox oil, appreciated!!

brake fluid has to be changed every 2 years.

most forgotten fluid change, right after gearbox oil.

about cleaning the carbon part: that is for petrol cars.

clean the throttle body then reset ECU.

brake fluid has to be changed every 2 years.

most forgotten fluid change, right after gearbox oil.

about cleaning the carbon part: that is for petrol cars.

clean the throttle body then reset ECU.

aaah cheers mate, knew i had seen it somewhere but hadnt realised it was petrol only, cheers for clearing that up

forgot to say im doing the brakes too as theyre pretty bad at the moment haha

Always worth chucking a bottle of Forte injector cleaner in the tank once a year. Check your antifreeze strength, or renew if it's of uncertain age. 

A service is as much about checking the vehicle over thoroughly as it is about renewing stuff, take the time to give it a good look over from front to back. 

Remedy any rust before it has a chance to get going. A wire brush and a bit of paint now can save a morning with the welder in a year. Clean underbody, especcially in the wheel arches and make sure the rust proofing is still effective. If in doubt, clean up, dry, and go nuts with the Schultz gun. I think I doubled the weight of the replacement wings I put on mine  :giggle:

Don't forget to inspect your belts and spun components. 

Test the battery. 

Yep, pre-fill the filter and start it with your boot on the floor, leave it there for a minute or so. 

Always worth chucking a bottle of Forte injector cleaner in the tank once a year. Check your antifreeze strength, or renew if it's of uncertain age. 

all fuel, oil or coolant 'additives' have a very marginal effect (if any).

they are a big marketing ripoff.

sadly there are still people willing to believe in that multimillion business scam.

you can't replace a proper repair job with the simplicity of pouring a liquid in a tank.

scammers count on people's commodity and lack of knowledge.

sadly there are still people willing to believe in that multimillion business scam.

you can't replace a proper repair job with the simplicity of pouring a liquid in a tank.

Is this your opinion or is there evidence of fuel additives not working?

With regards to the fuel filter - unpack and fill the new one before you take the old one off, reducing the amount of time the fuel pipes are left disconnected.  Had no trouble getting mine to start after changing through making sure everything was ready to go back together quickly. :)  Depending on the condition of the jubilee clips that hold the hoses on, have new ones ready - mine were very badly corroded and fell apart.

My 1.9D needs a service too - oil/filter, air filter and gearbox oil this time.

Edited by gmrtn14

Generally, I'd agree, but I've always had good results with Forte. It and an Italian tuneup were always our first port of call when diesels wouldn't pass the smoke test, and it worked a lot more often than it didn't.