New Navi for Pre-FL Octavia 2?

Hi,

I'm thinking of upgrading my default Stream system to a Amundsen RNS310 (+?)/ RNS315.

I'd need the Park Distance and AC display to stay intact.

Is that possible on an Oct 2 Pre-FL without too much hassle?

Thx

Edited by Verlaanac

Hi,

I'm thinking of upgrading my default Stream system to a Amundsen RNS310 (+?)/ RNS315.

I'd need the Park Distance and AC display to stay intact.

Is that possible on an Oct 2 Pre-FL without too much hassle?

Thx

Unfortunateltly not.

The only way is to upgrade the PDC controller and sensors.

Phil

Do you really have to upgrade the climate control panel to the face-lift one? I don't think they are compatible.

I also have a pre face-lift MK2 and am interested in fitting a Columbus.

I don't really care all that much about displaying the AC changes on the screen, but it would be great if the PDC shows up.

Do you really have to upgrade the climate control panel to the face-lift one? I don't think they are compatible.

Only if you want the AC display to work otherwise no, the original panel will be fine.

Ah man.... I was afraid of it ;)

So even messages regarding the 310 early version is wrong, I need the PDC and Clima swapped.

PDC I will get it sorted out. How about the Clima? Which partnbr should I be looking for?

Thanks!

I'm not sure the Amundsen has been fitted to too many pre FL cars, unlike the Columbus which is well tested in the pre FL.  However, if the Columbus has newer firmware, it can cause battery drain in pre 2008 cars.  My guess is the same issue will be present with the Amundsen but unlike the Columbus I don't believe there is a software fix for this and it may also mean a new CAN gateway.  I recommend some more searching and asking if someone has retrofitted it in a pre FL if you decide to go the Amundsen route.

If you go for a Columbus, the optical parking can definitely be done but it is fiddly.  See here: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/261422-pdc-ops-advice/.

And the FL climate panels can be made compatible with newer pre FLs with a simple wiring change.  Try eBay and see here: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/227790-fl-climatronic-retrofit/.

Adam

there is a topic around here that describes the challanges of fitting a facelift MK2 climate control panel on a non facelift MK2. (read until the end of the thread, because in the later posts it is revealed that the mod isn't working correctly) 

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/277700-step-by-step-retrofit-fl-climatronic-module-to-prefl/page-2

In the the end it;s not worth the hassle, because it won't work as intended. Another reason is that the facelift climate controls are not that intuitive, and the new MK3 came back to the 3 knobs setup (same as the non facelift MK2).

But what the hell... if it were to function correctly, I would do the swap. My climate control pannel surely isn't as pretty as the MK3's

I would not worry about losing the PDC display or the climate display. Once you have the NAV unit, you'll miss it for about 10 seconds. You still get the PDC audible bleeps, you can still see the climate temperature set on its control panel.

there is a topic around here that describes the challanges of fitting a facelift MK2 climate control panel on a non facelift MK2. (read until the end of the thread, because in the later posts it is revealed that the mod isn't working correctly) 

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/277700-step-by-step-retrofit-fl-climatronic-module-to-prefl/page-2

It works correctly in newer pre FLs.  It does in my 2008 for example.  But agree its definitely advisable to read the whole thread.  

Adam

I would not worry about losing the PDC display or the climate display. Once you have the NAV unit, you'll miss it for about 10 seconds. You still get the PDC audible bleeps, you can still see the climate temperature set on its control panel.

Agreed what you lose is pretty unimportant but the newer OPS is much more useful and the real advantage of the newer climatronic is (in my opinion) the better looks of the dash, rather than the climate display.

Adam

As long as we're talking about this, I've found this thread where, in fact, some managed to mount the newer climate control unit and get it to operate correctly.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/227790-fl-climatronic-retrofit/

In my case - a 2005 pre facelift mk2 - what would it take to find out if I can do the mod?

There's a guy in that thread called Rob as I recall who pretty much worked it out I think.  But it was certainly more involved in terms of wiring in his car than the very simple wiring mod required in the newer pre FL cars.

Adam

I'm not sure the Amundsen has been fitted to too many pre FL cars, unlike the Columbus which is well tested in the pre FL.

Amundsen doesn't work with pre fl Maxidot as it can't be switched between DDP and BAP like the Columbus.

Thanks John, I did wonder having seen no references to an Amundsen in a pre FL.

Adam

I got one :) Works fine, although I don't have MaxiDot, but the voice system is pretty much spot on anyway.

If you get the right one, you can fit a reverse camera, alongside the beeping from the PDC, so should work fairly well. (Must get round to finishing the RVC install......when it stops raining!)

I've not missed the PDC and climate control stuff being echoed on the screen, it's all elsewhere anyway. (The climate stuff is about 4 inches away and is displayed all the time too)

I got one :) Works fine, although I don't have MaxiDot, but the voice system is pretty much spot on anyway.

That's right the unit works perfectly well as a unit but for me it was completely pointless not being able to look at the nav on Maxidot or to have any Maxidot function for the Bluetooth.

Okay I have just chosen the Columbus option!!

What would I need to do in terms of the software fix? Is it a downgrade of the firmware on the columbus or on a module?

I'd like to know what steps to take to ensure I don't wake up to a non-functional car :D

Thanks!

Arjan