PDC OPS advice

Can anyone please tell me if swapping my parking sensor controller for this:

http://www.carsystems.pl/pdc-ops-module-5k0919475-e-upgrade,id358.html

would give me an optical output on my factory fitted columbus screen please with a recent firmware upgrade to 4024 (my sensors are factory fitted too). I realise it needs VCDS coding.

I have just used an optical parking sensor option on a courtesy car and it was good for final adjustments in the tight space which I parked in (once I'd got it close using the mirrors and sound output of course!).

Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks

Adam

Thanks Mike, I've now located this, although it relates to a different OPS module, but if it applies to the one I linked to does not seem too difficult.

http://www.my-gti.com/739/upgrading-of-volkswagen-park-distance-control-pdc-to-optical-parking-system-ops

Adam

It's not as bad as it sounds - the trim all comes off pretty easy and generally goes back on correctly. The wiring is a couple of bits of soldering.

It's really down to how much time you have available to spend on removing trim and running the wires from front to back.

Just a thought - the OPS module you linked to is for 8 sensors. Do you currently have front & rear sensors fitted? If not, you'll either need to fit them (not too much of a job) or look for a module that supports just the rear four.

Kb, I do have front and rear sensors which is why I looked at that particular module. Have you done this mod then? If so do you understand the wiring changes in the mygti link and know if they are correct as its a little confusing to the untrained eye!!

Thanks

Adam

Not done the mod, but did fit front & rear PDC / OPS from having nothing at all.

From memory the mod involves removing some terminals from the CAN plug and running two wires (twisted pair) from the PDC module and soldering them to the existing CAN wires in the car at the CAN plug.

Can't remember if there was anything else. I seem to recall someone on here doing this last year.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Just had another look and its easy to remove the three pins from the PDC connector (not CAN) and to add two wires from there to the CAN.

Hardest part is soldering onto the CAN wires by the CAN gateway.

The info does look correct to me and that website is generally very reliable.

Good effort doing the lot from scratch, looks complex. And thanks for the help and pm offer. Got a tpms loom to fit this weekend and then I'm considering this and some footwell lighting.

The soldering is a bit scary sounding in that area mind you although I might be able to tap into the xenon thingy as mentioned into the article...

Cheers

Adam

Can anyone please tell me if swapping my parking sensor controller for this:

http://www.carsystem...rade,id358.html

would give me an optical output on my factory fitted columbus screen please with a recent firmware upgrade to 4024 (my sensors are factory fitted too). I realise it needs VCDS coding.

I have just used an optical parking sensor option on a courtesy car and it was good for final adjustments in the tight space which I parked in (once I'd got it close using the mirrors and sound output of course!).

Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks

Adam

1.) What are the Part Numbers of the existing PDC Sensors and Controller in your Car?

2.) What is the Address at which your current PDC Controller is connected at on the CAN Controller? Connecting VCDS, CAN Gateway Controller List will tell you this. It should either be 10 or 76. If it is on 10, there is no need for rewiring the new Controller, just a swap would do, else you will need to rewire the Controller as described in the above GTI Website.

2.) What is the Address at which your current PDC Controller is connected at on the CAN Controller? Connecting VCDS, CAN Gateway Controller List will tell you this. It should either be 10 or 76. If it is on 10, there is no need for rewiring the new Controller, just a swap would do, else you will need to rewire the Controller as described in the above GTI Website.

That would be such an obvious thing to do

(If only I'd thought of that...)

I would really like to do this, but worried with the soldering part especially with my new gateway and where it is mounted behind the fuses in the drivers side

KB, did you have to do any soldering to the cable connected to the can?

There's really no need to solder the cables. Just make sure the Cables' contact is proper and firm. I have not soldered mine and has been this way from many months without any probs.

KB, did you have to do any soldering to the cable connected to the can?

I did, but see below.

There's really no need to solder the cables. Just make sure the Cables' contact is proper and firm. I have not soldered mine and has been this way from many months without any probs.

You do not have to solder - there are several options available.

• Scotch locks seem to be unreliable (especially on thin wires);
  • cutting the sheath and twisting the wires together then covering with electricians tape is another option;
  • cutting the wires, stripping back the sheath, putting on heat shrink and twisting three wires together before sealing the heat shrink.

There are probably other ways of doing it. I just went for soldering as it provides the best contact and long term durability of the options I had available.

As KB has suggested above, Soldering is the best option as it assures no loose contacts. However, be careful while using it on the Car as the difference in ground potential of the Car and the Soldering mains can cause a damage to the Car Electronics. Better would be to heat up the Soldering Iron to the desired temp, disconnect it and then solder the wires in the Car.

As much as I would love to sort this, I am too worried I would balls something up. Oh well bleeps it is, the extra image is great for knowing which side it is bleeping for, but not a necessity

I had the same thoughts about the Image being unnecessary, but that was only until it was my old Audience, which only showed an approximate distance on the 4 corners of the Car. I felt it was overreacting too with the blares going of even with an obstacle over 1m away, so the visuals there never helped me and in turn never relied on them.

But with the change to the new Controller and HU, the obstacles are portrayed accurately on the screen. The last Bar (RED) appears just when the obstacle is roughly about 10cms away, which is so helpful especially in tight parking areas. The visuals help me a lot in dark areas where the sight is almost nil in the night.

Before fitting the new controller, I was just skeptical as to whether I would really be using it, but now I depend on it to a great extent. If you ask me, GO FOR IT, not only is it helpful, but also brings a great functionality to your car.

I think I would be more inclined if there was a photo 'how to' as apposed to a basic bit of text. I am a more pictures type of person, lol

If I ever write a guide like I did for my old Civic, I always did images. I guess it is what you are used to. Maybe I will grow a pair and give it a go as I think it looks really smart and I did use it on the old Stream

Controllers are around £40 don’t forget you need the specific controller for the amount of sensors fitted to the car… front and rear (8K) controllers will not work on a car fitted with just rear sensors!!

(OPS Octavia’s fitted with just rear sensors use 5J0 919 475 A controllers…which are 4K)

• Like 1

Have you had your car scanned yet to see what number the controller is at?

If get that done just to be sure as it may not need rewiring.

If you are anywhere near Worcester / Hereford I'll give you a hand fitting it all...

Hell666, thanks for the link to your previous post, and well done for accomplishing that. I am assuming that a lot of the faffing about was as a result of updating the gateway as opposed to swapping to accessing the drive canbus rather than the comfort one? I already have the right gateway so hoping the wiring mod is less involved as will probably give this a go in the next month or so once I can source some CANBUS wire and the updated controller.

Adam