In a galaxy far far away...

RS2000

In celebration of BBC's Stargazing Live, lets post some 'space' photos we've taken

Here is a picture of the moon to start us off (just taken with camera and not through a telescope)!

Yes RS, he retired and realised he needed to find something to do. Has bought 4 scopes now in total including a sun scope with different filters.

• 2 weeks later...

This might seem a bit unlikely, but I snapped it a while ago in my back garden with a handheld DSLR, It is pretty much a 100% crop. But when I held up my Google Sky app, it said I was looking at Jupiter. It does sort of look possible......if you squint at it :D.

6134623230_8e1a619155_b.jpg
Jupiter??? by Geordie Amanda, on Flickr

Oh and a moon shot too :D

6140164252_18c324aba7_b.jpg
Cold Moon by Geordie Amanda, on Flickr

Edited by Lady Elanore

Nice.... what kit to capture the moon?

If you mean mine, I just used a 7D with a 70-200mm (f2.8) and I think I had a 1.4TC on as well (need to find the original shot and check the EXIF data. I used the same for the blurry planet shot too though)

Orion Nebula is cool. Like that. I must get my gear out and give this a whirl.

I've nae idea how to capture this sort of photo. What setting are ring used for the moon shots??

Hi Gregie, my moon shot that kicked off the thread was taken with my 70-300 zoom lens, so the moon appears as quite a small part of the whole frame, this leads to cameras (if left on 'auto-exposure') tending to over expose the moon because even a half moon is surprisingly bright. My moon shot was handheld at iso 800, f8 and 1/250

• 1 month later...