Polish in stone chips

eddy field

Hi, I have a problem of a specked white front....

It appears to be a polish/wax residue in the stone chips making them stand out even more against black paint. Whats the best way of removing this and preventing it happening again?

Cheers 

I've experienced this phenomenon, it's horrible. Detailed my previous car (black), after the detail it looked amazing. A couple of weeks later I gave it a wash and suddenly the entire front end, including the bonnet was covered in very visible white stone chips.

I tried quick detailer, some alcohol swabs- also tried tar remover. Nothing helped, I found it softened a bit over several washes... but never managed to get it back to how it was prior to the detail. I was tempted to re-polish/wax with different products but I sold the car before I got around to it.

Try polishing the area with something that doesn't produce much powder so SRP probably isn't the best choice, then try a different wax then you did last time, assuming you waxed the car (you should have!).

• Like 1

Wipe the car down with IPA (1st link google came up with .... so better deals may be available) and then seal the paint with a wax. 

Okay cheers il try this, anywhere to get IPA on the highstreet?

I've experienced this phenomenon, it's horrible. Detailed my previous car (black), after the detail it looked amazing. A couple of weeks later I gave it a wash and suddenly the entire front end, including the bonnet was covered in very visible white stone chips.

I tried quick detailer, some alcohol swabs- also tried tar remover. Nothing helped, I found it softened a bit over several washes... but never managed to get it back to how it was prior to the detail. I was tempted to re-polish/wax with different products but I sold the car before I got around to it.

Try polishing the area with something that doesn't produce much powder so SRP probably isn't the best choice, then try a different wax then you did last time, assuming you waxed the car (you should have!).

This is exactly what happened to me, look brilliant (to me at least) then a week or two later they all appeared. It was the second polish i had given it and the only change was Using SRP. Looks like that product is off the list!

I used Poorboys natty blue wax, is this known for leaving white residue? think i applied it too thick which could of amplified the problem. 

Its an alternative Andy...I don't know what its chemical compounds are

Not used it, but its essentially a product, like IPA that will remove oils from the paint surface

Thanks Chris,

Once you have polished your car do you use IPA to then Clean the surface before a sealant or wax ?

After machine polish yes to clean polish oils.

Before sealant generally recommend for the same reason, sealant bonds best to clean paint.

Not required inbetween hand applied SRP or the like and a wax though, wax is less fussy. Although EGP is designed to work in tandem with SRP.

For the same reason generally glazes work best with waxes. Sealants are generally thought to give better results on naked paint.

All that said I need to do a review of today's detail.

Ended with Hellshine Abyss Spray over Cherry Glaze and the car looks the dogs danglies.

Just a trial but very happy, expecting the glaze to reduce longevity

I tried IPA and it worked! well on most, but i think i need to spend more time on some of the smaller chips. 

I used halfords circuit cleaner as my source of IPA, as the msds, shows that it is the main component along with propellents. 

Thanks for the advice. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Old thread revival here,i have the above problem since trying cherry glaze which really did a good job on the rest of the car but the bonnet & bumper look bloody awful now,the chips are really white & stand out like a sore thumb.

Never used IPA before so would like some advice on dilution rates please.

I think it will be back to the black hole from now on as the chips didn't seem so so noticeable using that,would using a black coloured wax wax help at all?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Chris did try one of those chipsticks that come with colour magic but it seemed too hard & not sticky enough will get a crayola & try again lol.

What ratio should i mix ipa at to remove the old polish please.

Thanks Chris did try one of those chipsticks that come with colour magic but it seemed too hard & not sticky enough will get a crayola & try again lol.

What ratio should i mix ipa at to remove the old polish please.

IPA on paint around 1:5 anything stronger is not classed as safe.