Tickover High

gocro

We just picked up our 2000 mile 13 reg.1.6 tdi Se Roomster on Monday and are well pleased. We had to travel to York to get it as our local dealer in Cramlington was adamant that Skoda couldn't retrofit cruise.

Our problem is that when on the move the engine does not want to rev under 1000rpm which means there is little engine braking and it tends to throw itself around corners. When parked it settles at 800rpm, Is this a characteristic or just teething troubles?

I will be taking it in for a diagnostic, just wanted your thoughts, thanks.

Edited by gocro

The revs on mine increase to 1000 any time the car is moving, even rolling down a slope in neutral.  The other time it increases is when the DPF is regenerating. Took a while to get used to driving in a gear one lower than my previous car..

It is definitely a characteristic of the diesel Roomsters.

Edited by bryanb

Definitely a quirk of the gearing of the 1.6 CR Roomster. Turns I take comfortably in 3rd in other cars are 2nd gear in the Roomster.

Otherwise, as you say, it seems to pull just that bit too hard. Quite unnerving 1st time you experience it.

I had cruise control retrofitted to my 2010 Roomster CR Tdi 1.6  105bhp By a main dealer, Grey Gables (really) near Witney.

The local dealer lost our business because they couldn't be arsed to check that they could fit auto so we ended traveling extra hundred of miles to view then collect.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My tick over often sticks but if I pull back on the accelerator pedal with my toe, the tick over drops. I am assured by the dealer that this is a well known mechanical issue caused by distortion.

Btw, I was also informed that my 1.9tdi was unsuitable for cruise control.

Tim

Welcome to Briskoda, Tim

My tick over often sticks but if I pull back on the accelerator pedal with my toe, the tick over drops. I am assured by the dealer that this is a well known mechanical issue caused by distortion.

On some older Roomsters/Fabias, this was caused by a faulty batch of throttle position sensors.  I've not had to change mine but apparently, it's a straightforward job.

Edit - have a look here: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/229636-accelerator-issue-or-something-else/?pid=2698779#entry2698779

I had cruise on my 07 1.9Tdi roomster, so that may be a quirk of the ECU you have

also daughter had a 12 reg fabia monte and was told the kit from skoda was incompatible due to her ECU, but after a lot of work by the dealers it turned out a VW cruise kit fitted?

so seemed skoda was making it more difficult for dealers to retrofit options

• 2 weeks later...

My 1.6tdi rpm increases from 800 to 1000 whenever the car is moving above about 2-5mph. I came to the conclusion it's an ecu anti stall setting. It's different to the 1000rpm 'chugging' it makes when trying to cycle the dpf! I still can't entirely get used to either put it's not abnormal 

My 1.6tdi rpm increases from 800 to 1000 whenever the car is moving above about 2-5mph. I came to the conclusion it's an ecu anti stall setting. It's different to the 1000rpm 'chugging' it makes when trying to cycle the dpf! I still can't entirely get used to either put it's not abnormal 

My tickover revs with fully warmed up engine are as follows:

Completely stopped - 800rpm

Clutch dipped or neutral but still rolling - 900rpm (I guess to keep the brake servo powered)

During regeneration of the DPF - 1000rpm.

No sign of any "chugging" though.  Only way to tell is to look at the rev counter.

The anti-stall prevents engine revs dropping below 1000 or so rpm so if, for example,  you take a tight turn in 3rd, ignore the change-down indicator and let the speed drop too much it does apply power to keep revs above 1000.   That is the disconcerting behaviour observed by the OP.