Superb tyre wear - 170 4x4 elegance Feb 2013

Hi

Thought I'd seek some facts and achievements from members of the Superb Forum before tackling the dealer tomorrow.

I found, after getting a shredded tyre replaced, that the other three tyres were down to the crossbars in the tread, and since I've done only 9k miles in 11months I am left feeling kinda hard done by.

There has always been a slight "shimmy" when doing 50-55, and if life hadn't been busy I might have got it checked out before now. It didn't seem to be that much of an issue.

Roads travelled are mainly decent A roads, and some C roads, with very little Motorway use at all.

I'd appreciate some facts and figures, along with suggestions. Do I expect too much? Is this mileage OK. Should it be a lot better? And so on.

Cheers

I have a 170 TDi 4x4 and I got ~22k miles out of the front tyres and ~32k miles out of the rears.  ~90% of mileage is motorway.

Ditto experience on my V6 Superb replaced fronts at 22K and rears around 36K - Contact Sport 3's - changed to  CS 5's, quieter but don't think they will last quite as long

I bought my 140 DSG 4x4 at 5.5k and told the dealer I thought the Continentals looked low. They reckoned they were at 6mm

Just put a set of 4 new tyres on at 12k as they were all around the wear bars and winter is here. Tyre wear seems incredibly variable if you look at the many posts on this site.

Managed much better than 9k - think my fronts went something like 20-25k.

Recently found out that my tracking/alignment was out - this had caused some uneven wear on the rears.

I have a 2.0 170bhp 4x4 estate. I managed to get 12k on the front and 18k on the rear with the original tyres.

Bought the car with 7k on the clock. The rears would have lasted longer had they not had uneven wear.

My driving is a mixture of roads and Mways. I also don't do many stationary turns of the wheel.

Hi

On my 3rd set of tyres at 57000 miles. First set (Continental were really poor 10000 miles, never again) Michilin have provided around 24000-27000 miles , Dunlop around 18000-20000.

Michilin seem to be the best , no complaints and good wet and dry grip

However the 18 inch alloys with 40 series tyres are a  disaster, if it was not a lease car I would have swapped for 17" or even 16" rims. 3 punctures so far , all too sever for the puncture kit, ended up buying a full size spare for piece of mind.

Mostly A and B roads, 20000 miles a year

• Like 1

Thanks for your responses. The tyres are Continentals, and having used Dunlops on my Yeti for 50k+ getting 18k per set, I feel a bit cheated at the moment.

I'm due to get the car checked out tomorrow on the four by four jig/rig just in case there's been a fault in the setup since new, though I'm not going to be holding my breath!

The new tyre replacing the knackered one is a Dunlop, so if I have to renew the others I guess that's the way I'll be going!

It's the first puncture where the gunk hasn't been possible for me. I'd about three in the Yeti and was a complete convert to to gunkness because of its ease of use, clean hands, speed of 'repair' and so on.

The only other comment about this 'Berb so far, which seems far more nippy and full of verve than the Yeti with the same engine, is that the mpg is not good in the very low 40s. (The Yeti managed nearly 44 overall.). The blessed maxidot always makes me feel good, showing very hi 40s - until I do the actual brim to brim calculations at every fillup!

Other than that it IS a satisfying car.

Thanks chaps - I appreciate your feedback

I bought my 4x4 with 25k on the clock and a new set of Contis fitted, after 12k the inside edge of both front tyres were bald so swapped them the wheels front to back and had wheel alignment done (it was out badly), and I've done another 8k now and all of the tyres will need replacement quite soon but at least the uneven wear seems to be under control.

Chris

Hi

On my 3rd set of tyres at 57000 miles. First set (Continental were really poor 10000 miles, never again) Michilin have provided around 24000-27000 miles , Dunlop around 18000-20000.

Michilin seem to be the best , no complaints and good wet and dry grip

However the 18 inch alloys with 40 series tyres are a  disaster, if it was not a lease car I would have swapped for 17" or even 16" rims. 3 punctures so far , all too sever for the puncture kit, ended up buying a full size spare for piece of mind.

Mostly A and B roads, 20000 miles a year

What pressure you keep for 18' tyres? I had 3 rims damaged while driving with 2.2 bar (245/40 tires), now inflating 2.6-2.8 - no damage so far...but the ride is so harsh :) Went for 17' on Superb, will see. Also I will always buy tyres with strengthened sides (XL code).

Bought mine with 16 miles on the clock, just demo miles I think.

Fronts lasted to 19k, rears to about 25.

Got some cheap no-name tyres for the fronts and they are still hanging on at nearly 42k total, so nearly 23k miles.

• Like 1

I don't have a 4x4 but do have an auto 170. Front continentals lasted 10k miles and rears 18k. Replaced with Falkens all round and the fronts have done a further 19k and still have plenty of life in them. Rears are like new at 11k. Quiet and good grip and only 100 each fitted.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks all for your figures.

An update. Took the 'Berb into Sinclair Skoda where we had the usual impeccable helpful service of excellence. The car was tested on the appropriate rig and wheels checked for alignment and geometry and so on, thoroughly, under warranty.

There was a small discrepancy in the rear somewhere, but of little significance. Three new Dunlop TkMaxx (or some such) were fitted, and the price paid beat that of the Tyre Dealer handsomely.

So I guess I need to drive even more like an old fart in the future.

The whole experience was reassuring and handled well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've just had a set of new tyres put on my 170 Elegance, FWD after only 8520 miles! They were Continentals.

That's half the milage my previous Honda Accord CTDi went through a front set of rubber.

It's not as if I give it large either.

Glad I took out the Service/Tyre option on my lease!

Edited by xsive33

My Superb came factory equipped with Pirelli Cinturato P7 (225/45/17'' XL). Done 15000 km (9400 miles) and measured them: aprox 5.5mm fronts and 6mm rears.

Am living in a muntaneos area and 2 times a week am playing the corners on one 10 mile long climb on a mountain, perfect tarmac, so tires do not have the easiest of lifes.

After 15 000km (9400 miles) there was some "saw tooth" wear on the outside of both fronts, as a result of front end working hard in corners and nose heavy due to diesel engine. Am satisfied with tire wear so far.

Still, I avoid turning the wheels with car stationery.

By the way, air pressure is 2.3 fronts and 2.2 rears.

Now that winter is gone I have reffited the summers, but swapped the diagonally to even the wear: left front went to right rear and so on.

Winters are Dunlops SP Wintersport 4D, 205/55/16 XL, mounted on Spectrum rims. Done 3500miles with them this winter and there's no visible wear.

Depending on your driving style 10k is possible especially on the fronts if the tyre is a softer type and slightly under inflated. I had this on my A8 Quattro when I first bought it. If you're on low profiles I would go for 40psi, the other very important thing mentioned earlier in the thread is to rotate the tyres as the rears will wear fairly evenly but the fronts tend to go on the outers or inners dependent on setup. I switched to Falken for better all round performance on 255 40 19.

• 3 months later...

37,000 and counting on the original Contis my Elegance Greenline came with in January 2012. Front left is close to the limit but others look good for another 5k!

Edited by Dougal Entendre

Superb 140CR estate, 33000 kilometres on Continental Sport Contacts so far and there is 5 mm front and 3 mm rear remaining having swapped them back to front at 25000 kilometres when the outer edges started to wear on the fronts. Expecting 40000 kilometres or 25000 miles or more before needing to swap. Mixed running on quiet French roads and only the occasional hooliganistic driving. 

I have always been embarrassingly good with tyre wear.    :blush:   :angel:      My Conti PremiumContact 2e have now done 35k miles and have 5mm left at the front and 5.5mm at the rear. They are going to last me 60-70,000 miles.   Car is a Greenline.

Edited by Pesmog

55k on my GreenLine II. Rears are about half worn; fronts probably good for another 15k.

Appreciate it's a very different car to the OP, but post just to highlight how easy on the tyres the GreenLine is - for those interested to know about the GreenLine.