Longest distance on cruise control?

aolt

I've set my own personal record of the longest distance on cruise control. What is personal best?

Just done Warwick services M40 to Cobham services M25. total of around 90miles. Middle of the night driving back from the football.
A fun game for a very boring motorway drive! Though the game itself may be dull, it keeps my attention up.

The M40/M25 junction is tough to keep the cruise on due to the tight bend, and the occasional lorry and other driving making you think. It was set at 70mph.
I would have come off at the M25/A3 junction but they closed the slip road with very little warning.

I noticed a fair few Range Rovers and Audis booting it down the M40, and a lot of middle lane drivers. Even one that I went from lane 1 to lane 3, and then back to lane 1, once I was past him. He didn't seem to notice or care anyway.

My previous best was M23 Gatwick to M25/A3 junction, around 30 miles

I do mainly night time driving but I can get through the Netherlands, Belgium and France to Calais without turning it off, over 200 miles.  That's the beauty of non crap roads! Then In England and lane hogs are a hindrance, Should be fit to get from M1 J1 to M6/M56 junction but even doing that 6 hour leg in early hours there is always someone who I need to flick cancel for. 

Do love how even in 6th the increase speed button on cruise control, the torque of the diesel VRS is impressive! 

• Like 1

I once did about 220 miles non-stop on cruise.

The best one though was 115 miles on cruise control at 130mph. Gotta love the Autobahn early on a Sunday morning! The turbo pipe popping off shortly after soon put a stop to that though!

Phil

• Like 1

I once did about 220 miles non-stop on cruise.

The best one though was 115 miles on cruise control at 130mph. Gotta love the Autobahn early on a Sunday morning! The turbo pipe popping off shortly after soon put a stop to that though!

Phil

lol that's you shafted from ever trying to sell your car on Briski lol  :giggle:

• Like 1

lol that's you shafted from ever trying to sell your car on Briski lol  :giggle:

Haha... it was my old Cordoba PD130 that I traded in for the current one. It had nearly 100k miles and had loads of problem so wasn't too bothered about it by that point. Also had 4 adults and a boot full so no wonder the turbo pipe bust!

The new one gets uber respect and not too bothered about massive speed anymore.

• Like 1

Haha... it was my old Cordoba PD130 that I traded in for the current one. It had nearly 100k miles and had loads of problem so wasn't too bothered about it by that point. Also had 4 adults and a boot full so no wonder the turbo pipe bust!

The new one gets uber respect and not too bothered about massive speed anymore.

Phew, good save :D If you want massive speed you need to join the Briski Bikers corner of forum 130mph I would only just be in 2nd gear on my old gixxer :D

My longest cruise control, set at 100mph, trip in my old Jaaaaaaaaaaaguaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrr was from Dortmund to Berlin, was 500km. so what's that in miles.

Don't think you could do that now, I did go in 1991.

Phew, good save :D If you want massive speed you need to join the Briski Bikers corner of forum 130mph I would only just be in 2nd gear on my old gixxer :D

Hehe... the Octavia won't even do 130. Think the top speed is 117mph.

Never really got into bikes or felt any desire to. Dunno why.

Phil

Never really use my cruise conrtrol but once did 12 miles at 186 mph with the cruise control right hand wide open at 12500rpm on the R1 many years ago while heading to the nurburgring.Interestingly rear tyres dont last long at those speeds?

I did Rochdale to Barnsley with a brief moment of no cruise control (on the roundabout linking M62 to the M1), so I'm guessing that's about 50 miles? That was on Sunday night with practically nothing on the roads. I've not had the car long enough to take it on any really long drives, so that's the furthest I've managed as that's the furthest I've been :p

Oooooh I wish I knew!

Went up to Newcastle on the A1(m) a few months back at a steady 70mph, but I've no idea how many junctions, or roundabouts, or idiots made me brake and resume - probably more than i realise  :|

Alan, my favourite junction is the other way - Jct16 - M25 to M40.  Something about the way you dip off and sweep away  :blush:

Gaz

• 3 weeks later...

From Glasgow to St Helens tonight, got on the M74 pointing south, wound the elastic band up tight and did not touch the cruise control other than to stop for fuel and some road works at Tebay.

206 miles. 2 hours 55 minutes got to love empty motorways  :thumbup:

I've done a few journeys of around 200 miles on cruise control, but I did cheat in that I adjusted the speed a couple of times using the buttons and levers on the cruise control itself. Still I didn't touch the accelerator.

Not that ive taken record but we must of covered a good 150 miles on the autobahn on cruise, also the drive from up north down to Dover on cruise control.

Along came the game of who can get better MPG..car or driver..driver won :)