Traction control effectiveness

How good is the traction control? This is my first car to have it, but I don't find it particularly effective. It either seems to kill the power so you go nowhere, or I get loud juddering and go nowhere!

The manual suggests it should reduce the power so that you can pull away without wheel spin, but it doesn't seem to work like that - or am I expecting too much?

Andyh41, I'm not sure about the Mk3 as yet (mine's on order) but, my old Mk2 TDI the tracton control was as you describe, you soon learn how to feather throtle at certain rev. ranges as yes, they do alter in each gear, the hard judder was mainly in second as the torque peaked but, thats a diesel.  Most of what you describe is just flat-out acceleration, where the traction control does work well IMO is when pushing hard possible harder than you should through long fast corners, then it combines with a couple of the other systems to do with stability, I don't remember their names, it was explained to me once but, all I heard was woooooooosh as it went straight over my head. 

I wouldn't try out the long fast corners in the winter though, way too many variables on winter roads but, great fun on a CLEAR dry road, car gets a little light on the steering but, holds its steered line, weird at first but, fun.  The other commendable thing about the traction control is that it does alert you to those variables on winter roads, see the yellow cog flash and you think Hmmmmm.. a little bit slippery this morning, not a bad thing.

Don't expect too much from the traction control system, its not a launch control system ora F1 variant either.

Is you 1.4 TSI the manual ?, I've got the DSG on order, other than the traction business, how are you getting on with it ?.

Regards

T

Yes it's a manual. I think you're right, I'm maybe trying to liken it to launch control, which it's clearly not! I tried switching off the TCS tonight and it did seem to spin more easily. I'll just have to get used to its limited abilities.

Generally I'm really pleased with the engine. The previous car was a focus 2.0 tdci so I'm missing a bit of mid range grunt, but it's not too far off. It's good fun when you want it to be, but also quite tractable when you are just pottering around. MPG is good enough (~45), buts it's so smooth and quiet that I'm not missing diesel at all.

I actually came on just now to ask the very same question - also re a 1.4 petrol manual. The only thing I've had a problem with so far (albeit only 4 days into ownership, so it's probably more me misjudging the bite than a problem with the car itself) is pulling away in 1st. I had 'one of those' chances at a busy roundabout on my way to work this morning and decided to go for it - not flooring it by any means, but giving a few more revs and letting the clutch up a bit sharper so I could nip out. At the point at which I expected to go, I felt (what I assume to be) the TCS kicking in and cutting the power - which led to me rolling onto the roundabout like someone driving a ferret-powered bath on wheels. I initially thought I'd nearly stalled it, so I gave it a few more revs at the next junction to be sure and it did it again. I think perhaps given the power available (which to be fair is more than I'm used to having come from a non-ST fiesta) I'm giving it TOO MUCH throttle rather than too little and that's causing the traction control to limit the revs. Anyone any thoughts? Will have an experiment on my way in tomorrow I think.

The 1.2 and 1.4 engines are both extremely light units. This undoubtedly aids efficiency, but may also detrimentally affect traction due to further weight transfer towards the rear under acceleration. A heavier power unit will provide more traction but it will also feel less nimble in the corners.

In no way trying to teach grannies to suck eggs but....

Traction control will limit slip, not stop it. The best traction control you have is found inside your right shoe.

Also if you're needing to get away sharpish from a standing start let the clutch bite first and then apply the throttle smoothly. Don't go building the revs and dumping the clutch as you will end up sitting waiting while your front tyres have a quick smoke before you get to go anywhere.

Less dramatic and smoother is quicker. Not mention easier on the mechanics!

• Like 2

Slightly off topic, but when my brother was discussing TC in the 1980's at an Audi dealership when the 80 couldn't be specified with an electronic TC but they had started to come in on some vehicles from other manufacturers he was told 'for traction control you need to get four wheel drive'

In a straight line the traction control works ok ish, certainly no where near the best system out there.  Had a few instances on wet roads of having what felt like a base ball bat hitting the underside of the car as it reigned in the power on a quick take off.

With the wheels turned (when pulling away from a junction rather than say a roundabout) the traction control is useless, lots of wheel spin in the wet.

The TC is pretty good on snow and ice, and so is the ABS. The only thing I find a little inconvenient during winter driving is the initial power spike when the DSG grips which makes my studded tires spin on almost dry tarmac (bye bye studs).

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback everyone. So what I am experiencing seems to be the norm, and basically the TCS is no replacement for good technique.

It's the same with virtually all the driving aids.

Years of running about in cars with no more safety aids other than a seat belt and my inbuilt fear of pain/death/explaining the car needed to be fixed to my parents(!) did me no harm. But then again the cars were slower and noisier so at least you felt you we going quickly when you weren't!

Well this is embarrassing - re my own post above (and further to today's rather enlightening journey to and from work) it turns out I was actually being far too conservative and feathery with the accelerator, and was indeed nearly stalling the car every time I pulled away. Being slightly more assertive (without booting the thing, obviously) has sorted it out. I think it was just a case of getting used to the amount of travel in the gas pedal (which is of course a euphemism for "I don't know how to drive")

• Like 1

(which is of course a euphemism for "I don't know how to drive")

Dont worry, you should have seen me when i first picked my diesel up! You wouldnt have thought id learnt to drive in a diesel. Years of petrol driving since then and i was a bit rusty wih diesels :yes:

• Like 1