2011 Fabia VRS ice upgrade advice

Hey there

Having gotten fed up of my standard radio and speakers I've decided to spend out for a decent set up. SQ is important, so a nice clean sound.

I've selected the following bits

Jvc db60at double din head unit with dab glass aerial

Focal p165v30 speakers for fronts

And an under seat sub yet to be decided.

Now, I have a feeling the speakers will fit but need some door card modifications.

Is this right or will they fit in the door as is?

Next, do I need an amp? Speakers rated at 80w head unit at 50w.

Thanks

I have not too long ago had a Focal amp, Hertz 16.5cm front component speakers and Hertz slimline sub fitted - sounds amazing and all with the standard head unit. Personally, I would skip the head unit upgrade and get an amp instead, the quality will be greatly improved that way in my opinion.

The speakers you mention should fit in the door with a set of collars to space them out from the door.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

zouche, I too have a vrs 2011 fabia and like your option, although the OP wants recommendations on HU replacement. However, can you provide links for where you got your amp. speakers and slim sub from ? And where did you get it fitted.

Lastly, what about the other speakers....did you replace all 8 ?

thanks

D

zouche, I too have a vrs 2011 fabia and like your option, although the OP wants recommendations on HU replacement. However, can you provide links for where you got your amp. speakers and slim sub from ? And where did you get it fitted.

Lastly, what about the other speakers....did you replace all 8 ?

thanks

D

I got my speakers and the sub from ebay for a very good price.

The amp was supplied by the installer (cheaper than I could find it new - he has a deal with the distributer) when he did the work. He came to my home and fitted it in a day there. A very good service.

I left the rear speakers as standard. I have them faded right down - there is no need for them in my opinion with a good set of front speakers. I may upgrade them at some point in the future, but I'm not sure it's necessary.

Hope that helps!

• 3 weeks later...

I`m going to try and fit myself I think.

Currently narrowed my needs/wants down to:

Focal p165v30 or equivelent  £170

Silent coat door deadening £50

pioneer x3500dab £300

Dab aerial £40.

I`ve decided d an amp is not needed same as underseat sub. Just a nice and clean sound.

Has anyone done a similar install?

Thaanks for all the help so far.

I have had Focal speakers before and been very pleased with them - a lovely sound from the 165KRs I had a few years back.

The head unit looks interesting with the AppRadio function - can you use this as a satnav then with a paired iPhone?

I would be interested to know how you get on with the fitting of the head unit - I imagine you will need a head unit surround adaptor and a wiring adaptor? Adding a sub will always provide a richer, deeper sound and with a replacement HU that does make things a lot easier of you plan to do so in the future - same for adding an amp for the front speakers if you decide to do so.

As far as fitting the speakers goes, you will definitely need some collars for the speakers. Put the sound deadening wherever you can, but keep a little bit in reserve as the door cards will inevitably rattle after you put them back together and fire it up. Mine tends to make a rattle at the top of the drivers door where the two plastic parts meet - I need to wedge a little bit of something in there - it's infuriating!!!

Good luck with it, I look forward to an update!

• 4 weeks later...

Short update:

after looking into things a little deeper, I have decided to get the pioneer x3600dab HU, JBL MS62c speakers an amp and also a hirschmann dab/fm aerial.

I am also planning on getting it fitted by Huets in Shoreham. Given their depth of knowledge and experience, I'd prefer them to do a 'proper job'

Ive had a quote circa 950.00 all in.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok guys so everythings booked:

Pioneer x3600 HU

JL Audio c2-650 Speakers

JL Audio JX360/4 amp

Hirschmann DAB beesting aerial

Dynamat extreme door deadening.

Looking forward to it, Should be nice :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice choice - that is what i have in mine. The installer said that they were a little bit of a pain as they have a reasonably deep basket and fairly long throw excursion, so needed some fettling of the collars to stop either hitting the window or the door trim.

I'm getting a lot of vibration noise at the moment at higher volumes so might have to have the trim off to sort some more deadening....

The dynamat will definitely help - mine has that too - it is other things that begin to rattle due to the increased volume and bass you get from the new speakers. Things loosen over time and new rattles appear, so I think I will need to check mine over and maybe get some more.

The difference between the Hertz and stock is night and day - a great improvement!

The tweeters are in the stock places behind the A-pillar trims - easy to swap out for the old ones, held in place with little strips of dynamat and virtually the same size, nice and easy!

• Like 1