Pothole Damage

Had my vRS about six weeks, covering 1200 miles. On my way home this afternoon I hit a pothole on a roundabout at low speed. Quite a noise and having checked my nearside front wheel I noticed a small bulge on the tyre wall. I am presuming a garage will deem it unsafe and declare a replacement is necessary. How much is a new tyre likely to be 18" gemini and can I claim off the council? A little bit annoyed to put it mildly!!

Depends if you replace with same as was on it (which I'd be tempted to do as it's so new and I've got a thing about mixing tyres). Without looking I'd guess at £100 to £150 for a conti (if that's what was fitted).

You can try and claim, if you get anything depends on the council.

If you didn't take photos of pothole I would suggest you do so asap. Also enquire if the council was aware of the pothole. If they were aware ask when they knew as they are obliged to deal with them as soon as practicable. Also measure the width & depth of the pothole. Most councils have a policy of what they regard as a pothole depending on dimensions. Be persistent as their insurer will try to decline claims.

Give the wheel a good clean and check for cracks in the alloy also.

You might find getting the money from the council tough, especially if the pothole is in a dangerous place to measure.

I would replace it ASAP. There is normally a matching bulge on the inside wall that you can't see too! Left unattended the bulges will get larger and fail eventually. Keep speed down until you can get a new one.

Good luck with you claim to the council.

With all the recent rain and high water tables the roads are taking a real hammering right now and there aren't many roads in my area which aren't beginning to crack up and new pot holes are appearing everywhere.

I guess with reduced government grants the money available for Councils to spend on local road repair is tighter than ever and after the recent deluge I'd wager our roads are going to be a mess for a while to come.