Would you buy this car ?

I've had my VRS since Sept 2010 as a company car but the lease is up and sadly it has to go back in March. I've loved driving it and am considering buying it.  The mileage is currently 98k so it's likely to have around 102 - 105k when it goes back.  Its the TD CR model.  Naturally being a company car it's been serviced regularly and has recently had new front shockers and the brake disks replaced. A new set of winter tyres were fitted last month.   So is it worth buying, I expect the price will be around £7k.  OR do I spend a bit more and buy a low mileage one privately ? Owning a new model VRS isn't an option at the moment and the company "green" policy excludes the new VRS from the list :/

• Like 1

You know the history, you know it's good but how long will you keep it?

Another 3 years?  That means 200,000 miles plus by the end of it based on your previous mileage... maybe that's too high, maybe not, you decide on that one.  If you spend £7K on it, how much will a 200K car be worth? 

Just remember the 150TDI elegance has almost the same power to weight ratio as the Mk2 VRS TDI, at 109g co2 it would hopefully be covered by your green car policy.

Strange that your company policy excludes new cars with a CO2 over a certain amount but you can take the cash instead (or salary sacrifice or whatever) and have whatever car you want! 

I'm limited to 160gm CO2/Km whether it's new or old and as old cars really don't hit that level of emissions with anything decent under the bonnet it's new all the time!

Perhaps I'm just cynical, but the reason a lot of companies have a 'green' policy of restricting company cars to below 160 g/km is more to do with tax than environmental issues.

Cars with emissions of less than 160 g/km previously, and 130 g/km from 1 April 2013 onwards, qualify for a faster writedown against corporation tax than those with emissions above those limits. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of companies reduce the limit to 130 g/km now that the limit for higher capital allowances has changed.

It's wouldn't have 200k in another 3 years, more likely 110k as it would be private use only.  I'm getting another company car so this would be a weekend car.  I agree the green issue is a farce.  Nothing I can do about it though :/

It's wouldn't have 200k in another 3 years, more likely 110k as it would be private use only.  I'm getting another company car so this would be a weekend car.

I'm going to say get rid. Good car, known history, well maintained at the company's expense. Granted the 170 is brisk enough, but do you want an oil burner for a weekend car? If I had a practical daily, for £7k I'd go and find a proper weekend toy in the knowledge that if I needed to go to the tip, pick up the shopping, etc I'd have a company car I could use for those things.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to buy it and take ownership on Thursday 6th Feb, the day my new car arrives.  Was lucky enough for the lease company to agree to giving it a service last week, did most things including the oil, brake fluid etc.  They say 30% left on front pads and timing belt due at 111,000 or 4 years, so probably another 9 months before it needs anything. Has 4 new tyres (7mm all round) and i'm hoping to get the summer tyres are part of the deal.  Gonna give it a good detailing in the spring and sort a few minor things out like the drivers seat leather bolster is a bit worn.  Apart from that very pleased.

Need a set of new floor mats - anyone know the best ones ?

Considering a Columbus in replacement for the Bolero - will it work with the Maxidot ?

• Like 2

A weekend car?

Only my experience but I've found cars that go from regular high mileage / daily use to quite infrequent low mileage seem to suffer more from annoying but costly niggles?

Oh and I need a spare wheel and tools, tight gits didn't include one with the car - is there a good place to buy ?

eBay or Skoda as you're unlikely to find the kits anywhere else.

Columbus will work with Maxidot.

I decided to buy it and take ownership on Thursday 6th Feb, the day my new car arrives.  Was lucky enough for the lease company to agree to giving it a service last week, did most things including the oil, brake fluid etc.  They say 30% left on front pads and timing belt due at 111,000 or 4 years, so probably another 9 months before it needs anything. Has 4 new tyres (7mm all round) and i'm hoping to get the summer tyres are part of the deal.  Gonna give it a good detailing in the spring and sort a few minor things out like the drivers seat leather bolster is a bit worn.  Apart from that very pleased.

Need a set of new floor mats - anyone know the best ones ?

Considering a Columbus in replacement for the Bolero - will it work with the Maxidot ?

Congratulations! It is gonna be one great purchase for yourself! Espeacially for the reason that vehicle is known by you, it has been serviced etc. 100K is not a milleage for these motors!

Not 100% sure for Columbus but Amundsen+ works with the Maxidot

Columbus works with maxidot just fine, it does on my car though you will need to secure the services of a member near you with VCDS to code the unit into the car otherwise you won't get the nav instructions on the maxidot.

Ian

I was in exactly the same position not so long ago.

Had a 59 plate Mk6 Golf GT TDi 140 as a CC, cars I get from work are standard other than paint colour but I inherited this one at just over 3 months old @ 4k miles and had for some reason got the convenience pack on it (auto lights, wipers, rear view mirror and footwell lighting basically), was a lovely motor.

Over the course of 2.5 years I put another 46k on it (so not huge mileage) and I thought about buying it.....it had the odd dink on it but was v clean, well looked after, full VW history and before I got rid the AC compressor, rear discs and pads and all four tyres (for michelin ps3's i might add) were replaced.

Sadly my ****** lease company sold my car to auction before my lease was even up....only found out when my tax disc was expiring and they told me they no longer had the v5 as they'd sold it (Alphabet dor anyone who is interested) so didnt get the chance; would have been a great runaround for the wife if they'd wanted sensible money for it.

Only thing at over 100k.....youre in the realms of some particularly big money faults....clutch....DPF etc, if it had lower mileage or those bits were already done fair do's but otherwise id probably give it a steer.

Edited by pipsyp