Rear shocker mounts.

I've bought a set of Monroe Gasmatic shockers for my Octavia estate. Set about changing the rears to find that the cover/tube which should sit around the bump stop at the top mount has fallen down due to the bump stop part being perished to buggery ...... I recon this has played a part in the shox going soft.

Anyway....can someone tell me, if I buy new top mounts, will they come with new bump stop and tube or can I buy the bump stop separate?

Thanks in advance.

John.

The top mounts iirc are just an alloy bracket thing with no moving parts or parts that can wear, so I wouldn't replace them they'll be fine to re-use. The bump stops breaking up is a very common issue. I replaced mine about two years ago and the new ones are looking bad already. The bump stops and dust covers can be boughts separately.

No need to replace the alloy top mounts, A good clean up is all that is needed. i would recommend soaking the shock top mount and lower bolts in WD40 overnight to help with removal and reduce the possibility of snapping,

New bolts are not necessary as they are not stretch bolts but as they corrode maybe worth considering. My rule of thumb is always replace bolts removed,  then i never have a incidence of snapping or seizure. 

• Like 1

I'm sure Mr Haynes said to replace them, but that doesn't mean much.  The nut and bolt holding the bottom of the shocker were right manky on mine so I decided to change them all to be on the safe side.

A crowsfoot socket is useful for the nut on the top of the shocker, though I used a normal spanner and tightened it to "pretty tight".

• 4 weeks later...

Shockers and bump-stops done but I'm assuming there is an alloy part that sit between the spring and axle?? I replaced the springs as well and found what seemed to be an alloy part for locating the spring to axle.....but it's knackered and so I levered it off with a screwdriver.   

Can someone confirm that these are likely dealer only bits?

Thanks in advance.

John.

• 9 years later...
On 02/07/2023 at 20:59, tonedcos said:

Hi guys, anyone know if the top mounts are identical, i mean will they fit on either side regardless?

I think they are identical but it's been a while since I replaced mine.