Number plate bulb change?

I know theres been a few threads on this, but non of which seem to help me :(.

Iv got a 2013 Fabia, and i want to change the number plate lights to leds.

However, its got the new type of fitment on it (not the torx screws unfortunately). Iv read that you need to prize the light off around the slot with a screwdriver, but it doesnt seem to come off :(. Im too scared of damaging my paint too.

Do you guys have any tips? Id be much grateful

Can i just make sure that they are the 39mm festoon bulbs in there too? :).

Iv changed all the others, sidelights, boot and glove box (got some nice flat ones from hid's direct to fit in there no problem) and all 2 interior lights.

Oh and 5000k hids for the low beam. I think it looks pretty good to be honest. I hate the orange/yellow tinge of filament bulbs.

Any help muchly appreciated. Cheers in advance

I think it is held by clips that need a hard pull but to be honest it is too much of a hassle and you can always brake something if you haven't done it before.

I would pick a set of those star/torx screwdrivers - you can never have enough tools.

Undo the plastic clips on the underside of the bootlid, this gives access to the back of the lights, on the right hand side of the light there is a metal clip, push this in and push the light down and it will pop out, total time to do is about 5mins

Marty

I took mine off the other night, one of the bulbs had gone. I have a 2013 Monte. I popped a credit card underneath the lip of the unit to protect the paint then used a pry tool between the lip and the credit card. I was doing the off side bulb housing and worked on the outside edge of the unit, so the right vertical edge as you look at it and I had the boot open. It is a bit tough but the units are pretty sturdy. Give a good lever action.

They are monitored by the CANBUS system. I think I used 36mm but 39mm also fit at a squeeze.

I've done all my bulbs too and went for the 6000k. Even did Puddle lights door marker lights and foot well lights.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

I think it is held by clips that need a hard pull but to be honest it is too much of a hassle and you can always brake something if you haven't done it before.

I would pick a set of those star/torx screwdrivers - you can never have enough tools.

Iv got a vast selection of tools mate. My torx set is a decent britool set, but there simply arent any torx screws on the light to undo haha.

Cheers everyone! Ill whip the inside of the boot off tomorrow and have a closer look.

Need me a prytool me thinks.

Cheers again!

• Like 1

Sounds a bit like the Citigo.You have to prise it open at one end then the light unit pops out. I used a flat plastic trim removal tool so wouldn't damage the paint. The Octavia was better with 2 torx screws. This design seems to be naff.

Sent from my PID using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I decided to order the correct 36mm bulbs the other night, as i like things to be right. Glad i did as it was tight to get these in, so the 39mm ones would have been tricky.

Successfully fitted them a few moments ago, thanks to your useful tips.

Didnt enjoy the experience, i think its a terribly designed housing, and was genuinly worried at one point, as i used a little more pressure to pop it out.

It did come out though and no damage done. Once id done the first i could see how it went, so the second was a little easier.

All sorted now though and it looks much better.

Cheers again guys :).

Have you got a link to the bulbs? Any error codes?

Glad the advice helped, they are a bugger but at least you didn't have to go from the inside.

I'm looking for replacement bulbs, just got cheapies in just now

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

I fitted these mate

http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/canbus-c5w-239-6-smd-5050-led-error-free-bulb/?fullSite=1

They arent cheap (price is for one and exc delivery. Worked out around £15) but im hoping you get what you pay for and they last a good while. Iv had ebay leds that fail after a few weeks before.

They dont fit in straight, infact theyre at quite an angle inside the housing, but you cant tell at all when the housing is in place so im not too bothered about that.

Hope this helps your decision :).

I've got the same ones in mine but they were only £3 delivered from FleaBay and have been fine.

All my LED bulbs have come from there and some were carried over from my old car without any failures bar one which they sent a new pair out within a couple of days with no more bother