brakes brakes brakes

Me again. Sorry guys!!

Tackling my appalling brakes on wednesday With a mate. Doing the 256 conversion with a lovely set of mundano callipers But that's not where the issue lies.....how on earth do you adjust the handbrake on the pickup. The Haynes manual was as clear as mud...also bleeding...there's only one nipple on the rear and when the new calipers are on I want to do a full fluid flush.

Thanks in advance

Sam

The handbrake is adjusted at the lever end, it is much easier to do if you take out the drivers seat, 5 alen bolts to do this.......... then take off the plastic covers and it will all become clear, you will need two 10mm spanners. 

The handbrake is adjusted at the lever end, it is much easier to do if you take out the drivers seat, 5 alen bolts to do this.......... then take off the plastic covers and it will all become clear, you will need two 10mm spanners. 

top man, thank you for that, bit of a ball ache having to remove the drivers seat but needs must

You can do it with the seat in place if you've got ratchet spanners. If you're using normal ones, chuck the seat out just so you can get more turn on the spanner. Or take both out, have your carpet out and give it a going over with the pressure washer if time allows. 

Wheel cylinders are pocket money, so I'd chuck a pair at it while you're doing the job if one's got a sheared nipple. 

aaaaah balls =/, ham fisted previous owner

Not necessarly- could be bad design,where the nipple is fitted where it gets most road muck. Austin Maxis had this problem on front calipers and a cure was to get the broken bit drilled out, carefully and the thread recut. If by chance the niple seat got damaged, then a ball bearing of correct sizewas used .i had one done like this for years with no problems. Butif wheel cylinders are two a penny, I'd opt for new ones.

thanks again for your replies guys!! really appreciate it
hand brake is awesome now!!

256,mm brake conversion done!!! didnt need to drill the uprights for the discs and thanks to eurocarparts pc error, i reserved 1 disc online and went to pick up and got a pair of vented Rio discs for £27....RESULT

now bad points......i have a persistent problem with brake pressure, before i did the conversion i was suffering with low brake pressure, if you pump the brake it goes rock hard, let off a little and the pedal goes to the floor, even after the conversion and bleeding best i can with a knackered bleed nipple, any idea what the loss of pressure could be? master cylinder, servo??

i will be buying a pair of rear slaves but just curious to whether i may have missed anything?

cheers 

Sam

Edited by SamJaffa

I recommend just the repair kit for master cylinder.

there is a simple procedure to decide if brake servo is bad.1) engine off, pump brake pedal 3-5 times and hold.(should feel pedal harder to press after each pump) 2) start engine, pedal should sink slowly.if you want to be 100% sure servo is ok, detach vacuum hose, attach a vacuum pump with gauge, apply vacuum and see if it holds.

I would sort out the wheel cylinders first so that you can bleed the brakes properly. If you replace the master cylinder and then find out all you needed to do was bleed it properly you'd be annoyed.

• Like 1

also is it worth replacing with standard or should i upgrade, if so, whats recommended

There is a larger diameter Audi master cylinder that fits, but its not necessary for your set up (I have the same front brakes as you on a standard master cylinder and they're fine). 

Also it won't be cheap to buy new and only has two rather than four outlets so requires some minor plumbing work with the brake pipes.

Part number and further discussion on here if you search.

256,mm brake conversion done!!! didnt need to drill the uprights for the discs

Are you sure the carriers came from a Mondeo? The conventional wisdom is that you need Sierra carriers with 10mm bolts to avoid drilling the uprights.

Yes mate, callipers and carriers from same car...fitted straight on!!

My old callipers were lucas and 12mm so don't know why but it worked!!

Ah ha after looking at VAG CAT some pick ups (but apparently not cars) did have 12mm bolts on the carriers. That's a turn up for the books!  

Ah ha after looking at VAG CAT some pick ups (but apparently not cars) did have 12mm bolts on the carriers. That's a turn up for the books!  

thats good to hear dude, hope it makes peoples lives a bit easier

right, now being payday im treating myself (sad i know) to new rear cylinders.

there appears to be 2 sized, 19 and 22mm, i have read one is for abs but i dont know which to buy (mine is NON ABS)

anyone shed some light my way please?

muchos grassy arse