FMIC fitting

sam83

Hi Guys,

I have already purchased a welly cooler and now just require the various pipes and silicone. I shamelessly stole this list off audi-sport.net 

2 x 90 degree 76mm hard pipes with beaded ends.

2 x 90 degree 76mm silicone elbows in your choice of colour - these will need adjusting to length during fitting.
2 x 90 degree 76 - 63mm reducing silicone elbows in your choice of colour.
2 x 63mm alloy joiners.
2 x 76mm alloy joiners.
x 76mm 250mm length of straight silicone hose in your choice of colour. This needs to be cut into 2 lengths of 125mm to go on the end tanks of the cooler.
10 x 70 - 90mm jubilee clips
2 x 50 - 70mm jubilee clips.

So, is this everything that I will need?

That is for the S3

The intake is on the wrong side

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=144021.20

OR

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=238012.0

Throttle Body side

1x 76-63mm 90 degree reducer in silicon
1x 63mm 90 degree silicon bends
1x 63mm 90 degree alloy bend
1x 63mm straight 100mm alloy coupler.

hot side

2x 63mm 90 degree alloy bend
1x 63mm x 300mm straight alloy pipe
1x 63mm 45 degree alloy bend
1x 63mm 45 degree silicon bend
1x 51-63mm straight silicon reducer to go onto the turbo outlet.
1x 63mm straight silicon coupler.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just getting all this stuff together, I'm interested on where people have plumbed the do into? Have they gone cold side or put an adaptor in to stay hot side?

Cheers

I`m putting together my own intercooler soon and was wondering why in the list are the pipes reducing from the intercoolers 76mm to 63mm??  Can`t you just make all the piping 76mm?   Or would the piping be too big and affect boost?

I`m going for the biggest intercooler that I can afford that will obviously realistically fit, with a little modification, as I`m going for Stage 2 remap. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200714376954?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Samuel

Edited by sammyhale30

and just to re-iterate.  These pipes are for TB on left side of engine? i.e. AUQ

Throttle Body side

hot side

2x 63mm 90 degree alloy bend
1x 63mm x 300mm straight alloy pipe
1x 63mm 45 degree alloy bend
1x 63mm 45 degree silicon bend
1x 51-63mm straight silicon reducer to go onto the turbo outlet.
1x 63mm straight silicon coupler.

I`m putting together my own intercooler soon and was wondering why in the list are the pipes reducing from the intercoolers 76mm to 63mm??  Can`t you just make all the piping 76mm?   Or would the piping be too big and affect boost?

I`m going for the biggest intercooler that I can afford that will obviously realistically fit, with a little modification, as I`m going for Stage 2 remap. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200714376954?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Samuel

Have you measured the gap you actually have to play with, i think you will find that that cooler is to big to fit in the gap without major surgery to the crash bar,

This is the one i used --- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-ALLOY-INTERCOOLER-510-x-300-x-76-CORE-FMIC-/330594348285?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cf8f56cfd

As you can see it certainly fills the gap

2012-02-22203303.jpg

I`m putting together my own intercooler soon and was wondering why in the list are the pipes reducing from the intercoolers 76mm to 63mm?? Can`t you just make all the piping 76mm? Or would the piping be too big and affect boost?

I`m going for the biggest intercooler that I can afford that will obviously realistically fit, with a little modification, as I`m going for Stage 2 remap.

Samuel

Yeah I'm going for the same 'welly cooler' too. I've read a couple of build threads who have commented on the 76mm all the way through would produce a lot of lag, although I have only read this as theory and not as proven (not to say it hasn't been proven, but I've not found any).

I'm going down the 63mm route as forge do a maf pipe but only in a a 60mm or 63mm version not a 76mm. I'm sure you could get one made up somewhere though. There has been quite a few success stories for the 63mm route with good results so I can't see it being an issue, similarly I'm sure the 76mm route would also create great results.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread but how have people got on with the different size welly coolers?

I'd bought the small fmic kit but gonna sell it on to replace with this set up, but I see from the pic below that the 510mm wide is a bit of a squeeze and tucks in nicely behind the crash bar. I see you have cut it out to get air flow too.

Has anyone successfully used the 600mm wide and if so is there much more work involved getting it in?

I'm assuming the aesthetics is better when it is more visible through a wide mouth conversion, does it look ok with the way this one has been done? I like the idea of it being tucked behind the crash bar and the way it's mounted as it isn't too low to catch on speed bumps.

Any advice greatly received as going to be ordering the new cooler and pipes very soon.

Cheers

Have you measured the gap you actually have to play with, i think you will find that that cooler is to big to fit in the gap without major surgery to the crash bar,

This is the one i used --- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-ALLOY-INTERCOOLER-510-x-300-x-76-CORE-FMIC-/330594348285?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cf8f56cfd

As you can see it certainly fills the gap

2012-02-22203303.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

ok I have all the bits now that I need to fit the welly cooler.  The only bit I`m not sure about is where the silicone hose routes around the engine bay, should it be obvious?  Does anyone have any diagram of how it should all connect together??

Cheers,

Samuel

ok I have all the bits now that I need to fit the welly cooler.  The only bit I`m not sure about is where the silicone hose routes around the engine bay, should it be obvious?  Does anyone have any diagram of how it should all connect together??

Cheers,

Samuel

All depends on which pipe kit you have. Come take a look at mine dude. I dont have the welly cooler on mine but I do have the Toyosports kit fitted.

One thing I will say though. Its REALLY fun to fit !!!!

Sorry I haven`t been in touch much mate.  I`ve just been really busy at work!  The piping is probably the same I bet. How long did it take you to fit, do I need to give myself a couple of days for example??

Do I need any extra silicone joiners or anything?? Cus I`m going by the list and it lists these parts for the TB side..

76mm-63mm silicone reducer 90 degree, obviously connects to the intercooler.

Then I have a 90 degree 63mm silicone bend and 3 pieces of alloy piping...  How do you connect 2 pieces of alloy with only two pieces of silicone??

The alloy pipe is 100mm straight coupler piece and a 90 degree piece...  as per previous advised post..

Throttle Body side

pipes

Does it connect to the original TB piping or something?

Edited by sammyhale30