Fan noise staying on after ignition is turned off

When I came to turn my car off after driving home from work some sort of fan stayed on.

I thought it would turn itself off after a few seconds but after five minutes I went back outside and it was still going.

I then decided to try turning the car back on and then off which stopped the fan noise.

Any ideas what this could be? Is it a problem or just something normal that the car does?

Is it worth an admin pinning one of these threads at the top?

No offence to the OP.. U weren't to know.

I created a tread and asked if it could be pinned, but hey.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/301020-my-new-diesel-smells-like-burning-rubber-and-the-fan-stays-on/

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Let me get this straight, so the fan is going because the car is in the middle of a regen? So just wait for the fan to stop by itself?

How long would this take normally because my fan was still in full flight about 15 minutes after the ignition was turned off?

I took out the fuse incase it drained the battery

Engine seemed cool, that's whats worrying me. 

I am tempted to put the fuse back in to see if the fans come on again

Octy 3 TDI with DPF?  Your title says 1.9 2004. 

Let me get this straight, so the fan is going because the car is in the middle of a regen? So just wait for the fan to stop by itself?

How long would this take normally because my fan was still in full flight about 15 minutes after the ignition was turned off?

I took out the fuse incase it drained the battery

Mine has done a few regens now. The longest for me saw the fan stay on for about 10 minutes but of course it's difficult to know how far through the process it was.The frustrating thing was, the following day I needed to drive 250 miles. It'd be great to have a bit of flexibility to postpone it in cases like this.

I put the fuse back in & fan has stayed off but I have got the feeling this won't be end of it.

Will watch it closely over the next few days & take it from there.

Thanks lads

Mine has done a few regens now. The longest for me saw the fan stay on for about 10 minutes but of course it's difficult to know how far through the process it was.The frustrating thing was, the following day I needed to drive 250 miles. It'd be great to have a bit of flexibility to postpone it in cases like this.

Assuming its the same as the cr170 I had the fans come on when I got home one night. I started the engine up again to go out for a drive to allow it to finish the cycle, but tickover went back to normal straight away so I put the car in the garage and switched the engine off. Strangely the fans didn't come back on, but it did another regen the next time I drove it.

I put the fuse back in & fan has stayed off but I have got the feeling this won't be end of it.

Will watch it closely over the next few days & take it from there.

Thanks lads

Not in the 2004 Octy but the Leon will probably have one (assuming it's a TDI - I think all the 2.0 cars are diesel).

yeah the Leon has one & I have constant problems with it.

Not sure what is causing this problem with the Octavia, plenty of other threads on here about fans staying on, hopefully nothing too serious.