dtuk tuning

ryno

My dad had used one on his Octavia 2.0td and it's was brilliant, power and economy was good. There's talk on Octavia forums of guys using these

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/273668-buying-a-crd-t-tuning-box-from-dtuk/?hl=%20buying%20%20dtuk

They aren't as crude as many people think and brilliant for people who want to retain manufacturers warranty

When someone has a Warranty with a manufacturer, they are only Brilliant in that they think they can remove them so that they are not detected 

then if asked if they had any non standard Component fitted to effect the engines performance they then lie and say no.

Best if you just fit things because you trust them and your engine,

and you are not relying on having to deceive someone covering a cars warranty.

If there use does not Void a Warranty, the Seller will be able to tell you that.

& back that up if it does. Unless they lie.

george

• Like 2

Sk4gw (george), thought you would come along and set me straight lol, it retains warranty as long as you remove it and lie if anything fails. Which btw it shouldn't dtuk have been doing this for awhile and havent heard of one of their systems failing

No reason why they should fail, its just that people need to be aware they make the choice to tune, 

you can not always count on getting a Tuning Box off in the event of the likes of an engine problem before a car gets recovered to the nearest dealer.

Just pointing out you need to make choices with the full info on the Boxes.

A Re-map on the car can be a good move where Warranties are not an issue.

• Like 1

Sk4gw (george), thought you would come along and set me straight lol, it retains warranty as long as you remove it and lie if anything fails. Which btw it shouldn't dtuk have been doing this for awhile and havent heard of one of their systems failing

After looking at other forums which were in general more supportive of DTUK's tuning boxes I asked the doomsters in one of the other threads for any evidence of their boxes causing damage to engines after being fitted and there were no replies.

Spot on George, this bugs the carp out of me, attitude to tuning boxes meaning a way to cheat the system. Very glad that many garages can see the 'traces' they leave and hammer the con artists.

I also imagine if you plan to commit fraud over warranty then you are also happy to not declare it on the insurance. Great, just please don't drive into me!

The boxes might be great tech, I've exchanged PM's with Andrew and he seems a good guy and Im inclined to believe these are better than many, but they need to be treated exactly the same as a permanent remap. Insure, declare etc. a remap has as much chance of lunching an engine if done wrong, that's not my point. Too many people think, oo I have warranty left so I won't go remapping and lose that, therefore tuning box.

I can't see any difference between an ECU remap or fitting a tuning box, they're both designed to improve performance by altering the fuelling on a car.

Either way, it's changing the original parameters that were designed and set by the manufacturer rightly or wrongly.

Personally I wouldn't use either, if I wanted more performance I'd buy a different car but it's up to the individual on how they modify their motors and judging by the way some people have been treated by their dealers then so what if they've took a tuning box off before a service or a warranty claim, what's the harm if the remap or tuning box hasn't caused the issue in the first place.

• Like 2

I used to have a TMC tuning box on my old vRS and it was great. Yes it was a micro chipped controller box that connected to a few sensors and just intercepted the signals and adjusted them but gave good power.

The warranty argument will always be out there on tuning boxes, everybody has their own opinion and that's fine. I had my engine done under warranty, I had used the box for about a year by the time it needed doing, the service manager was aware of modifications I had. In all honesty, unless your ECU has to be sent away for testing by SUK or VW a lot wouldn't turn away the warranty work if you had a tuning box or remap. All dealers get paid to do the work from SUK, it's a large part of their business and they make enough so it's no skin off their nose if they do it on a modified car. Agreed with the comments though, you should never not declare modifications, you're just asking for trouble.

If you want a tuning box, why not, it means you can have the power while you have the car and make some money back once you've moved on.

I used to have a TMC tuning box on my old vRS and it was great. Yes it was a micro chipped controller box that connected to a few sensors and just intercepted the signals and adjusted them but gave good power.

The warranty argument will always be out there on tuning boxes, everybody has their own opinion and that's fine. I had my engine done under warranty, I had used the box for about a year by the time it needed doing, the service manager was aware of modifications I had. In all honesty, unless your ECU has to be sent away for testing by SUK or VW a lot wouldn't turn away the warranty work if you had a tuning box or remap. All dealers get paid to do the work from SUK, it's a large part of their business and they make enough so it's no skin off their nose if they do it on a modified car. Agreed with the comments though, you should never not declare modifications, you're just asking for trouble.

If you want a tuning box, why not, it means you can have the power while you have the car and make some money back once you've moved on.

Well put. One thing we've all missed is that the op has a 2010 car so the warrenty issue is probably irrelevent for this actual thread, though I understand the feeling expressed its assumed that a DTUK box once fitted will cause problems when in actual fact there is no evidence I am aware of to support this concern. As far as insurance is concerned I fully support the view that mods must be declared to the insurer, though in reality if you were hit by aa otherwise insured car with an undeclared mod on it the other parties insurer may well settle your claim but would rightly refuse to honour any claim made by their client. Give Andy at DTUK a call and dont forget he offers a discount to brisky members.

• Like 1

<snip>

I had my engine done under warranty, I had used the box for about a year by the time it needed doing

<snip>

Why did your engine need doing under warranty, what was wrong with it?

<snip>

Personally I wouldn't use either, if I wanted more performance I'd buy a different car

<snip>

Sounds sensible to me.  Faffing around with a modern car to get it to meet your needs seems very similar to buying a suit and then taking it to a tailor to get it to fit - very odd???

There is nothing wrong with doing Motor Sport Events, or Tuning and adding Components/Hardwear or changing Softwear 

and then the Warranty not being valid.

Just foot your own bills and enjoy your car modifying, and also declare your mods with your Insurance Company.

But if claiming warranty on Engines or Drivetrain, &

If a Dealership Turns a Blind eye, then they are the ones Defrauding or Conspiring to Defraud the Manufacturers.

Or the Insurance Underwriters covering the Warranty.

But if you are going to claim off a Warranty and get an Engine Rebuilt or Replaced, and think you can ignore how the engine was used,

& the Manufacturer Covers the costs, Hundreds to Thousands of £££'s.

Then you know you are being asked to possibly sign a declaration before the Warranty claim is submitted to the manufacturer.

Then if you have your cars Build & Motorsport History on a Public Forum, you might well end up regretting showing things publicly.

The Dealer might be the one that gets surcharged, but if someone was thought to have Defrauded the Manufacturer,

then its not that far fetched that they could try to recover some costs.

With so many Twincharger Failures it is hard to know if increased power contributes to an engine or gearbox failure,

because so many engines completely standard are failing.

But what it does is have Skoda UK and other manufacturers looking much closer at Warranty Claims on engine failures.

There are Twincharger Owners that have not recieved Warranty Work, or Engine replacements after Skoda Discovered the ECU had been mapped previously.

Buyers of used vRS and other models might need to ask a Skoda Dealership selling an Approved Used Skoda,

Has the ECU been checked to see it is as it left the FActory or as Undated/Enhanced by Skoda?

& are all other settings, Brake Assist, Steering Assist, EDL/XDS is back to Factory Settings.

(that is not for the Warranty, just so that they know what is what, with the car they are going to be driving.)

& from a Private buy or Independent Dealer it is a Lottery if the Original Warranty will stand if the ECU shows Re-maps.

george

http://skoda.co.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/Brochures/Warranty-Booklet-single.pdf

Page 6.

anyway back to the topic, :think:

so most are saying yeah, but at the same time no,?

i had a blacksmoke map on my mk4 golf, which i quite liked, dont think they cover my car though, oh and my mods always get declared.

cheers..

I thought everyone every place else was saying yes if you like on a diesel with a bullet proof engine.

& if your cars out of warranty, the worlds you oyster.

Maybe just not on an engine that might be a little dodgy reliability wise, and might possibly require warranty work.

may just give it a go then

never ever had a problem from any of the pd engined cars i've had apart from one needing an injector loom, as they are a pretty good engine.

yeah it is out of warranty too!