Roof bar recommendations

I've always bought all my roofbars and accessories from roofbox.co.uk

Over several cars and having bought bars, boxes, bike racks, and ski racks they've always done the right thing and I'd recommend you give them a call.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Guest Cossiecol

Thule Aero are best to go for in my opinion, I've used these with confidence from attaching roof boxes to my £3k downhill mountain bike, never had a concern about them, even when blasting down the motorway!

Edited by Cossiecol

I wonder if anyone has splashed out on the Thule 9582 Wing Bar Edge bars for the estate? I think these fit between the roof rails at a very low profile. What I don't know is whether I can fit my old stuff (roof box and bike carriers that currently fit the old school square bars) to these.

My recommendation is to buy any make from the lowest price retailer. Having sold roof bars over many years there is little to choose between them. But Thule are often the easiest to fit (see below for roof rail estates) and most expensive. I wouldn't buy the wing edge ones, double the price and all that prettiness only matters if you want to drive around with them on all the time - and why would you? On the estate they would look OK on permanently if (and they aren't) they were all black. They claim less noise and better aerodynamics, which will be true, but the point us to carry things. Put a bike, or box on them and bang goes either. If you do get Paddy Hopkirk bars noise us an issue unless you take care to fit the plastic strip to the slot on the bar base, fiddly but without it the slot makes a great whistle.

Of all the bars I ever sold (and used personally for 6 years before changing the car) the Automaxi Euromat were the best value, by a long way. Their cross bars for cars with roof rails are the easiest to fit, clamp down and that's it, for around £50 should leave you with enough to buy your cycle carrier attachment a few beers and still change from a Thule bar set alone.

Edited by fireftrm
  • Like 2

I have been very pleased with the Atera roof bars and bike racks supplied by Roofbox.co.uk who are very knowledgeable about the products they sell and very helpful. Reasonable price too.

Neither do I and the Automaxi would be quicker to fit. Wing edge ones only really worth it if you intend to leave them on, anyone leaving the cross bars on has money to burn though, as even these will use your fuel. The only reasonably priced bar is the Automaxi, nothing comes close.

Roof bars, or Cross bars....You take them off when not using them. You have some box, bike, skis, or canoe atop when using them. So pure functionality should far outweigh aesthetic design. Who looks at how more pretty are the bars on a car with a couple of muddy mountain bikes, or the upturned canoe on its roof?

Edited by fireftrm

Hi hi hi, Thule wingbar edge 9582. They are perfect! I have them and love them from all my heart. No noise, easy to install, low fit... http://www.thule.com/en/br/products/carriers-and-racks/roof-racks/complete-all-in-one-racks/thule-wingbar-edge-9582-_-958200

I would say the same if I had paid that much for a set of bars I use occasionally. I would be smarting every time I wanted to put something on them, though, as the noise is back (the thing input on won't be quiet!) and I have had to pay out for a special T track fitting, can't just use the standard bar fittings I could with any other bar! Low fit hasn't helped either, as all I have is 25mm, or so, of reduced height of my load. £200 isn't going to make me love that drop with all my heart. Sorry Dushia

from a bit of searching on the web all I can find listed as suitable for the 2013 onwards octavia hatch is the thule system (£134 with normal bars, +£50 ish for aero bars).  I'm not sure if this is because the other bar manufacturers haven't yet updated their listings and their bars will also fit, or if they are yet to make suitable feet for their bars.  It probably worth buying from a nearby shop so you can return them easily if they don't fit.

from a bit of searching on the web all I can find listed as suitable for the 2013 onwards octavia hatch is the thule system (£134 with normal bars, +£50 ish for aero bars). I'm not sure if this is because the other bar manufacturers haven't yet updated their listings and their bars will also fit, or if they are yet to make suitable feet for their bars. It probably worth buying from a nearby shop so you can return them easily if they don't fit.

You didn't check roofbox.co.uk, did you?

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel3.php?emulate=whycar&query=8128&vptype=&producttype=Roof+Bars

Sorry, I take that back. That's the estate, you want for the hatch.

Call them.

yes, roof box were the first I checked.  they only list the thule system for the hatch.

since I'm provosional bw13 I'm in no rush and waiting for the car before I get mats, roof bars, boot liners etc. but reading this thread to arm myself with ideas.

Thule Square Bars bought off a mate at Uni after he totalled his parents Tempra Estate in 2001. 5 Estate Cars later and 13 years with me and still going strong. A few reapplications of padding along the way (pipe lagging and duct tape) and all is still good. Always take them off when not in use, no big deal but saves the most fuel!

Used with Uprights for up to 5 kayaks, a pile of Bikes with Thule Pro-rides and a Canoe countless times and once a wooden Sofa Carcass.

If I ever get an Estate car with the 'modern' roof rails that don't have a gap between the roof of the car and the rail then I'll finally have to replace them!

Equally if going for a Hatch, Thule all the way, just don't waste money (IMHO) on Aero or Wing. Learn to take the bars off quickly instead when not in use. (Also less likely to seize if they spend most of their time indoors in the dry).

Niall

Thule Wing Bar 969 available for Octavia 3 hatch or 961 wing bar for estate

Thule Footpack 754, fitting kit 1726  Octavia 3 hatch or Thule 757 footpack for Octavia 3 estate, (info taken from Thule.co.uk website).

I have Thule Wing bars 961 and 757 footpack (for roof-rails) to fit my Atlantis 780 roofbox onto, they are well made and very quiet, I use them for the twice anual trip down to the alps, that roofbox gets filled with 4 snowboards a set of ski's, various pairs of boots and 3 helmets and other small things that fit in the gaps :rofl:

Only really noticed the noise of the roof-load over 100mph, I had cruise control set to 100mph on the Autobahns.

Thule will tell you that the roofbox is only recommended upto 130kmh (80mph) but it was absolutely fine for us!, some german, Dutch and swedish cars with thule roofbox's were passing us at 120mph.

If you get the Wing bars and want to add a roofbox you will need the T track adaptor kit (£25) as the quick grip claws are not recommended for use on Wing bars due to them being very open when gripped onto the bars (I tried it, did not like the look of it, so got the fitting kit, the kit also it also lowers the box down by about 50mm)

Luckily for me my current set up for the 330D is exactly the same as required on the Octavia 3 Estate

Spend the extra money and get the wing bars (Dont bother with Aero bars as they are not as efficient as the wing bars) and unless you want a VERY noticeable drone at 65+mph forget the square bars :happy:

Edited by tamkyo101

All,this stuff about noise from the bars is fine, but the thing you attach to them is what makes the most. You are wasting money on anything to try and make the bars quiet, unless you are driving round with them in all the time. If so you are wasting money on fuel anyway!

I can only speak from personal experience about the noise from square bars versus wing bars with a roofbox on and off, wing bars are quieter.

I also noticed the square bars "Whistled" at around 80mph, whereas the wing bars do not.

You pays your money you makes your choice................

We drive out to the alps for 9 days (twice a year) and both times with roofbox on during journey out and then roofbox comes off and just leave roofrack in place. I also drive to Geneva airport both times to pick up my brother who comes out for 3 days and stays with us, thats when you notice that they sound almost the same with our without the roofbox.

Edited by tamkyo101

Decisions, decisions. I will probably want to leave bars on over the summer as they'll be used once or twice a week for windsurfing stuff. Or I'll have to get a tow bar and keep my trailer...

If you get Automaxi you will find them so easy to take on no off you won't mind removing between uses. Remember the drop in consumption with them on. If you want pretty then go for Thule wing edge, but think of getting them painted black, as they may look out of place against the black rails. If you get the Automaxi (Tesco direct sell them) then use the £200 for a few summer evening nights out!

• Like 1